cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas mileage

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for gas mileage experiences with 30' -- 32' class A motorhomes with and without toads. Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Twelve with no wind, flat ground, no toad and very light foot...possibly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
I probably gave too little info. in my gas mileage post. I am basically interested in smaller gas class A (Ford). I have done this in various rigs for near forty years, but last motorhome was in 2000, so I am aware of the age old adage " if you have to ask you probably can't afford it" Our wants and needs are different now and just looking for currant info. Thanks.

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
Bigger fuel tanks hurt more to fill up, but less often than smaller tanks ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
"it gets great mileage for an apartment".

Well done, you made my day!! :B

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
2001 Fleetwood Flair 8.1 liter Chevy
Low of 5.5 and a high of 11.
I average about 7 without toad and 6.5 with toad.

Also, a lot of our time camping is boondocking so we are using the generator which draws fuel from the tank which will skew your readings when you fill up.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
By towing you basically double your mileage because you are getting TWO vehicles to the destination using about the same amount of fuel. ๐Ÿ™‚

Never thought about it that way, since I tow a Grand Cherokee with a scooter on a carrier, I'm getting 3 vehicles there.
Yee Ha 24 mpg when all is said and done.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
7-10 MPG with my 8.1L GM engine. In the Western mountains it drops to about 6 mpg. By towing you basically double your mileage because you are getting TWO vehicles to the destination using about the same amount of fuel. ๐Ÿ™‚

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
8-12 depending on a million factors like wind, terrain etc. I never bothered monitoring MPG. When someone asked what kind of mileage I got in our MH, I would say; "it gets great mileage for an apartment".
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
40' diesel pulling a 20' enclosed trailer with a Hyundai SUV inside: at the end of the trip, I showed 8.3MPG on my computer. Always traveled the speed limit.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
8-ish on the interstate is probably a reasonable guess; at that length, you're not likely to be talking of a diesel motorhome.

Weight has some effect on the mileage, but not as much as you might expect for highway driving; once you're moving, it doesn't affect the rolling resistance much and affects the air resistance not one bit. It does, of course, affect the mileage when going up hills or in stop-and-go/city driving where one's speed isn't steady.

(Incidentally, most gas class C motorhomes also get around 8-ish mpg.)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mileage also depends on the weight of the rig and not the length.
Speed is a big factor. By keeping in the 58-62 miles per hour, our rig gets the best. Mountain terrain drops mileage.
We have many miles on our rig. It has gotten as high as 12 and as low as 6. It varies about .5 MPG towing our Lil Car.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The speed makes more difference then towing or not. We get 8 or 9 unless I go 75 then about 7.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I had always heard the statement โ€œif you are worried about the gas mileage you canโ€™t afford it.โ€ After having owned a class A gasser for four years and a a class A diesel pusher for six years I understand and completely agree with that statement. We get about 8 to 12 mpg towing or not, tail wind or not, gas or diesel.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
8-12 mpg

It's a 'wind sail'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'