cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel pressure gauge went backwards

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, the coach is stalling and dying on acceleration and I'm trying to make a definite diagnosis. I installed a fuel pressure gauge along the frame rail just downstream of the fuel tank so I can tell if the in-tank fuel pump is working. When I started the coach the needle went backwards and pegged at the opposite side. I'm thinking this means the in-tank fuel pump is not working and gas is being drawn forward by the mechanical pump. Is this correct? I'd like to be sure before I start trying to drop the tank. Thanks to all for your help.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
4 REPLIES 4

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
I see you have a Chevy chassis with 454. Is it throttle body or carb? On the passenger side just in front of the rear axle should be a fuel filter. You can always connect your pressure gauge before or after the filter to check fuel pump pressure.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it possible you attached your pressure gauge to a return line to the tank? Look for another line.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
If this is the rig in your sig, it may or may not have a fuel pump in the tank. A lot of rigs built in that time frame had none in the tank.

However, it may depend on whether or not this has a carb or is fuel injected.

If it has a carb, best place to put the gauge is between the engine mounted fuel pump and the carb.

If it's fuel injection, then usually there was a tank mounted pump, with no pump mounted on the engine.
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
Might help if we knew what chassis/engine you have.
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag