cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front end align on a fairly new coach

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently upgraded my Newmar's F53 chassis with a rear sway bar, CHF and a roadmaster safety steer. After reading many posts it seems that the general feeling among class A owners is that the the alignment ( from the OEM ) is not correct for a MH I don't spending the $$ to do an alignment but I wonder if I am reading these posts correctly. The changes I have made to this point have calmed this coach down I initally had some handling problem when it was windy. I did not have problems from passing trucks etc... Just wondering.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fun Trivia Fact:
They do not align them at the factory before shipping.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I have about 3000 miles on this coach I think I will carefully watch the tire wear and maybe do an allignment if the wear starts to show that it is warranted.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We also have an F53. The steering wheel was always cocked to the right about 30 degrees when going down the road, but no pulling. Long story short, one of the front tires began to cup on the outside so I brought the rig to a local reputable truck alignment shop.

To correct the alignment, the tech told me he would have to "bend" the front axle. I did a good bit of research and it seems the only way to adjust Camber is to bend and shim the front axle. Most folks who posted the same did not experience any problems doing this so I gave the go ahead.

Wow, what a difference in handling post alignment. Also, the steering wheel is now true when driving strait.

Money well spent.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hendersons and Brazels are both well known experts when it comes to RV chassis alignment. Read what they have to say: Wheel alignment

Straight axles do not change much with load but they do change and they may also not be set correct from the factory.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The camber and toe-in DO NOT change with chassis loading on an "I" beam front end. That's an internet fable. The caster can change slightly with loading. Manufactures representatives and dealers do sometimes advocate this fable, but they are clueless.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Trainer wrote:
I recently upgraded my Newmar's F53 chassis with a rear sway bar, CHF and a roadmaster safety steer. After reading many posts it seems that the general feeling among class A owners is that the the alignment ( from the OEM ) is not correct for a MH I don't spending the $$ to do an alignment but I wonder if I am reading these posts correctly. The changes I have made to this point have calmed this coach down I initally had some handling problem when it was windy. I did not have problems from passing trucks etc... Just wondering.

So on a calm windless day it runs fine? Also with passing trucks? Doesn't sound like it has an alignment problem. RV's are big sails, basically.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:

If there are any signs of tire wear or poor handling the first thing I would do is have the wheels aligned. While most body builders claim they align the front end after the unit is complete they do a marginal job at best.

Given the average cost of a tire is about $500.00 it's far cheaper to spend $120.00 on an alignment than $1,000. on a pair of tires.

As a side note Ford does not cover tire damage done by an out of alignment condition. Back in 1999 they put out a technical service bulletin announcing the change. It seems too many body builders were doing a poor job of aligning the front end after the body was installed. They were passing the problems off to the chassis manufacturer.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 Monaco came with a coupon for a free front end alignment to be used after the coach was loaded.

I didn't think it was necessary. Two years later I wished I had done the alignment, those two new front tires were expensive.

I suggest getting an alignment.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 Thor Hurricane 35M actually had a sticker in the driver's compartment. Here's what it said:

NOTICE
The front suspension and steering system of this motorhome was factory aligned prior to it being dispatched to the dealership. The alignment is,however, greatly affected by the way the unit is loaded prior to travel. This loading includes how much cargo, water, and LP are carried as well as the distribution of said cargo. Thor Motor Coach advises to have the alignment checked in the fully loaded condition (the way you would normally load the unit to travel). Not having the alignment checked and reset may result in abnormal tire wear.

I paid to have the coach aligned after it was fully loaded and no adjustments were needed.
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing that cannot be done at the factory is to align your coach when fully loaded for a trip. The alignment of an RV does change when the coach is fully loaded.
If it seems to handle OK and if you can rub your hand across the tire tread and not feel any scuffing, than you might be OK. Just keep an eye on tire wear.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Have you any concern about your current caster alignment. Having too little +caster can manifest itself as "loose steering" and "wandering" at highway speeds.

To maximum the most benefit of the +caster you do have it is best to pressure your front tires to the minimum required pressure for the actual load.

If your toe is not correct you will experience excessive tire wear. The profile of this wear will depend on the camber and pressure. IMO.