cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From a class C to class A ??

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Forester 3011DS Class C, the wife and I are on the fence as to getting a 2012 Tiffin Open Road Allegro 34TGA or 32TS as we will be retiring in about a year from now. We plan on going on 3 to 6 months trips seeing the country. The wife likes the 34TGA and I like the 32TS. We like our set up now, but we were wondering if the more space the class A gives might be better in the long run. I know that the Tiffin's we are looking at are gas v-10 and I am ok with that; it's the same engine we have now. It seems to me that alot people go from the class A to the class C or is just those that are 40ft or longer do? So with that being said we have never had a class A and would like some feed back on the good and the bad in the possible move we might make! in tow would be a Mini Cooper or our 1985 Jeep, Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had some type of RV for around 55 years. First class C was in 1986 I think then a 1991. Got greedy and bought a 2007 Monaco 45ft W/4 slides. That lasted a little over a year we hated and I got a 40 ft no slide Winnebago which we liked pretty well. 5 years or so ago I ran into a real deal on a 1998 Monaco DP 36ft with a full wall slide 36ft and bought it. This thing was in pristine condition, all maintenance records, 1 owner, and kept inside since new. This is the one we looked for for many years of trial and error. We use it to death and other than normal stuff have had no problems. The original price in 1998 was $284,000--what would that be today?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 3 RVs over the past 35 years; Class C, Class C, and now a Class A. Would never go back to a C. There are just so many pros; more storage, bigger tanks (water, black/grey, fuel, LPG), much more "walk around" room, the cab becomes part of the living area, phenomenal view out the windshield both while driving and while camped... Don't get me wrong, the Cs were great for us at the time, but after tasting the A, I would never go back.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen, Make sure at least the half bath is accessible with the slides in for those in route duties.

One advantage of the opposing slides that I like if we stop at a rest area or pullout along the road is that we can put out a slide on one side to make access to to kitchen a little better. Also real handy while I park at the house to load/unload.

As far as the drop-down bunk our Bounder has basic wrestling mat for a mattress. The oldest grandson claimed the bunk till he got about 14. We had a mattress topper laying around and we put it on it. It made it tolerable. I got kicked out of bed one night by the granddaughter and I slept on it, I could still move in the AM.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen wrote:
Thanks to all that answered, I did know that the V-10 was a three valve and not a two valve, just saying that it was a gas Ford V-10. But I didn't think about the six speed transmission which i would want so need to up the year of the coach. All other points where well taken. There was a type-o mistake on my part as to the Tiffin 32TS should be 32SA, The coach"we would like" would opposing slides in the front, 1 1/2 Bath with master bath at the end of the coach after the bedroom. Slide out for the King size bed, bunk above the driver and passenger, (for the grand kids once in a while) Wife wants to be able to have access to bath and refridgator while traveling, outside tv and course the list could gone on. So we have a year or so to look which is always the fun part! Thanks again to everyone!

I have he 5 speed and my buddy has the 6 speed. When I got mine the 5 speed didn’t perform well compared to the 6 speed. Then I got a tune from 5star and that really changed he performance of the RV. It now drives as well as the 6speed. I am very happy with it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW - we went from a 2017 MBS Sprinter to a Tiffin 2019 32SA. Loved the floorpan and all the storage it offered underneath, Inside storage was a bit lacking, but OK. We had the J Sofa, which we had a "love/hate" relationship with, over time getting the extension to go in and out properly. Some 4 letter words, and it would work. What we were not crazy about was the F53 chassis / suspension setup. We had the 24K chassis and it qua terrible - swayed, bounced, porpoised. Spent a ton on suspension upgrades, and it was better, but the last long trip, we got rid of it and went to a Tiffin DP because of the ride, and he screaming engine, pulling grades. Also, it only had a 5,000 pound tow limit. Loved the layout, hated he handling.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that answered, I did know that the V-10 was a three valve and not a two valve, just saying that it was a gas Ford V-10. But I didn't think about the six speed transmission which i would want so need to up the year of the coach. All other points where well taken. There was a type-o mistake on my part as to the Tiffin 32TS should be 32SA, The coach"we would like" would opposing slides in the front, 1 1/2 Bath with master bath at the end of the coach after the bedroom. Slide out for the King size bed, bunk above the driver and passenger, (for the grand kids once in a while) Wife wants to be able to have access to bath and refridgator while traveling, outside tv and course the list could gone on. So we have a year or so to look which is always the fun part! Thanks again to everyone!

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the 6-speed transmission now you will be a little disappointed in the 5-speed that will be in the 2012. But it will get you there.

We went to a 35' 2016 Bounder 34T from a 30' Forest River Sunseeker 2860 DS shortly after I retired. We were happy with the Sunseeker but I wanted an upgrade. That being said we planned on more travel but life happened. The extra space is nice when those times when she threatens to kill me and we need a little space to ourselves. The big thing for us was the opposing slides in the front which gives us lot of room when we have the 4 grandkids. Selling point for the DW was the combo washer/dryer. Less closet space but we take less cloths and if we can't hookup it serves for a hamper.

Downside is she will not try to drive it. At least with the Sunseker she would move it ten feet forward and five feet backwards.

Bounder has a 242" wheelbase and it turns really nice and sharp. the E-450 took the better part of 40 acres to turn.

Watch for storage creep, as you will have more space and tend to use it.

Enjoy no matter what you decide.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The V-10 in the C is the 2 valve version. The A is the 3 valve version. Not sure if the C ever got the 5 or 6 speed auto?
If you plan on living in it for a few months the bigger and more slides the better!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
A few years back the DW and I made the worst decision of our RVing lives. We wanted to down size from a 35' 5th wheel to a smaller Class A. We ended up liking a 29' class A that we thought would do the job for our travels. Boy were we wrong! It really came down to lack of storage for long term travels.

We started looking for Class A's that we could be gone months at a time with storage. Thats when we ended up with the 38' DP and have not looked back.

My thoughts for you are look at storage both inside and out. Look at what you can get to with the slides "in" , as DW likes to use bathroom while traveling getting to the frig. that kind of thing.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We are a couple who went from Class C to Class A as we retired. We had a 23' Class C and bought a 28' Class A before we retired...to be sure we could pay for it (haha!). That Class A looked soooo big to us at first! Now we've had our 32' Class A for about 10 years and love it. All were bought used.

We used to move around alot when RVing. Now we go on 3-6 month trips and stay longer in some areas. Having room for a walk-around bed, a recliner chair, a full-length couch and dinette has been very beneficial to us. Also, the Class A's have more basement storage, which is great. The other thing we love is the view from a Class A, since it sits higher and has a big unobstructed window.

I always look online at RVs...kind of a hobby. Sure, we'd like to buy a newer motorhome, but it's probably not in the cards. Anyway, I do have a crush on the Tiffin Allegro 34TGA 🙂 I'd take the 32BA also. I've never heard of 32TS, nor could I find it online.

We have absolutely no regrets in going to a Class A.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The V-10's are not the same; I believe the A has an extra valve. I like the class A storage bays.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 32BA Allegro Open Road with the Ford V10 & I pull a 2003 Honda Element, it's big enough for the two of us & has plenty of storage for our stuff, we just completed a trip from Al to UT that took 3 weeks & we were very happy with this RV. Hope you find something that will make you as happy as we are.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo