cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge on AC has "Lo AC" Indicator

rodjburge
Explorer
Explorer
My fridge seems to be running OK until I put some extra load onto the motorhome electrical system.....such as electric heater or air conditioner. Once the extra load is applied the fridge starts blinking a "Lo AC" code and starts to heat up. Have had to put the fridge on propane (off the AC) if extra heat or cooling of the motorhome are required. Presently setting in an RV park in Phoenix, have not had this problem at previous locations. Is it possible that the voltage supplied at our present location is not adequate to run all of the motorhome systems at one time?? Just trying to figure out if I have an actual problem or if it is a matter of the current facility not supplying the proper power.
Thank you all for the help
15 REPLIES 15

MrWizard
It could be going less than 116 when the a/c compressor cycles
Or the control board could be a touch sensitive
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rodjburge wrote:
After unplugging from source power and operating on generator, it appears that the 116v is low enough to cause the fridge to glitch to "Lo AC". With the gen running I am getting the full 120v at the outlet and the fridge seems to run nominally.

Riddle solved....normal ops will need to be with fridge on LP as long as it is hot enough to require air.

Thanx again all
116V is not considered low by anyone. You have a bad board.

The US standard is 108V to 132V. You should not be getting a Lo AC error at 116V.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rodjburge
Explorer
Explorer
After unplugging from source power and operating on generator, it appears that the 116v is low enough to cause the fridge to glitch to "Lo AC". With the gen running I am getting the full 120v at the outlet and the fridge seems to run nominally.

Riddle solved....normal ops will need to be with fridge on LP as long as it is hot enough to require air.

Thanx again all

MrWizard
Leave the fridge on propane
Check voltage with the a/c running
Like was said in a previous post
An auto transformer between the pedestal and your RV will keep the voltage up to the correct operating range
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Below 108V gets questionable in general. But did you measure with lots of loads like your AC and your neighbors?

Your refer might be OK with even lower voltage.

Bob

rodjburge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for the help on this everyone.
Checked the voltage at an outlet, expected 120 and measured 116. Now I would like to understand what would be considered low enough to cause the problem.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Just switching the refer to propane isn't going to solve a low voltage problem or solve potential equipment damage.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every RVer should have a digital voltmeter IMHO. Since you are in Phoenix with near record heat, lots of ACs running and lots of snowbirds haven't gone home yet you very likely have low voltage due to the power demands.

Your refer is currently your best friend as low voltage ruins or shortens the life of some equipment like ACs. Check the voltage and find a solution.

Bob

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
I use a Progressive Industries Surge protector on my coach, but I also have one of these plugged into an outlet in the main living area. I usually take a glance at it a couple of times a day to make sure the power is up to snuff.

AC Voltage meter

Me too, right in the kitchen
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do not have a volt meter, crank up the generator and see if the problem goes away. I'd unhook from shore power first. If this solves the problem it's low voltage in the CG and moving closer to the transformer in the CG may help or a different CG.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
Autoformer
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Progressive Industries Surge protector on my coach, but I also have one of these plugged into an outlet in the main living area. I usually take a glance at it a couple of times a day to make sure the power is up to snuff.

AC Voltage meter
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would check is to see if you are getting the proper voltage to your coach, borrow or buy a tester to see if you are getting 110 volts to your outlets.
I have also seen where a coach was only getting power to one leg of the coach, we turned the breaker off, unplugged the shore line, plugged it back in again making sure it was plugged in properly and luckily everything started working. Won't hurt to try.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher