cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freezing Temperatures

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
So, weather is turning and our area is expecting temps for the next three days to dip into the low 30's / upper 20's. We are not weatherized so I am thinking in order to keep water line from freezing is to allow water to lightly run in the sink overnight. So not to worry about overfilling the grey tank I plan to open the release valve the night before and drain the tank. Then any water that goes to that tank will empty into the septic tank....

The rest of the motorhome should remain protected as we have an basement heating vents which we will keep open.

Appreciate your thoughts,
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
8 REPLIES 8

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
While in use and running the heat most any RV is good to about 25F.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
HighwayJunky wrote:
So, weather is turning and our area is expecting temps for the next three days to dip into the low 30's / upper 20's. We are not weatherized so I am thinking in order to keep water line from freezing is to allow water to lightly run in the sink overnight. So not to worry about overfilling the grey tank I plan to open the release valve the night before and drain the tank. Then any water that goes to that tank will empty into the septic tank....

The rest of the motorhome should remain protected as we have an basement heating vents which we will keep open.

Appreciate your thoughts,
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

If you are full timers, you should be prepared for freezing temperatures. We full time in the PNW and see temperatures down to the low 20' to high teens.
We have the Cheap Heat system and heat with the furnace all the time, water hose is wrapped and heat taped. Belly is enclosed and tanks have heating pads.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Motor homes with enclosed tanks. Fill on board. Disonnect city hose. Drain drain hose (Close valves first) live in it (run furnace) most are good down to 20

Trailers.. IF you have exposed pipes (Waste pipes) remember PURE water freezes at 32f/0c But what's in those pipes is anything other than PURE so it freezes colder If worried. DUMP in the heat of the evening and limit use after that.

Fresh system.. Same as motor homes.

Just now outside my door 34 and dropping (Was 35 45 minutes ago) rain turning to snow and I'm staying on the warm side of the door.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have the heat on, just disconnect the water and drain hoses and you should be fine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I would not leave drains open. Your propane heater, probably the rear heater, should keep the wetbay warm. Space heaters and heat pumps do not heat the wetbay.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Provided the temperatures are as you stated, you should be ok.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Use the onboard tank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Just fill your on-board fresh water tank then turn off and disconnect then drain your hose. This will get you through the freeze.