cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford gas tank access from coach?

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
Need to access the fuel pump area. Has anybody measured and cut a hole through the floor under the bed to access it that way? The gen isn’t getting fuel and everything looks good back to the tank. I put a primer bulb on the line and it just sucks air so want to check the hose/tank connection. We had the tank dropped a couple years ago to replace the fuel pump and don’t want to spend another $1200 on this. Thanks for your help!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005
4 REPLIES 4

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
Blownstang01: You nailed it! Have never had the tank under 1/4 before. Thanks!
Grumpy: I see servicing the FP on my F250 is the same drop the tank or remove the bed job.
Big: they had to remove the jacks and cut off the skid bar, weld it back on, etc. Rexhall didn’t plan on servicng the pump, I guess.

Thanks for your help!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone did that a few years back to replace their pump..

You paid too much to have it done. I had mine replaced for a couple hundred dollars.

You don’t have drop the tank all the way. I brought it to them nearly empty and they jacked the rear up, removed the rear strap and loosened the front and angled it down.

The hangers have long threaded shafts.

Have you tried running it on a temp fuel source? Might be a weak or bad fuel pump.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

grumpy3b
Explorer
Explorer
fuel line from tank to generator checks out good I take it?

I'm. no expert but I think you're on the right path with it being a hose somewhere. my suspicion was the tank to generator line as the issue.

bugs me no end that the fuel pumb is such a frustrating repair. Of course my late 90's Ford Ranger had the fuel filler tube wear out, yeah that turned out to be a well known issue then. to replace with the exact hose you literally had to unbolt the bed on that side then jack it up or drop the tank. I just bought some generic fuel filler hose to make a splice and spliced that into the unplace replacement tube I installed...very irritating.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a stupid question but, do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel ? The pickup in the tank is metal and is just made "short" so it doesn't go into the last 1/4 of a tank, I can't really see it going bad. Is the rubber hose going to the in-tank unit good ?