cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First decent trip and pretty surprised at the mileage...

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Well forum,
Went down to NC from RI for Thanksgiving week and the 20 year old Winnebago really has it where it counts. Relatively smooth ride (other than Rt 78 in PA) and real comfortable to live in for the week.

I was really surprised with the 9.6 MPG, I was tooling along at 55-65 so that it didn't kick down on many hills but it was really a surprise. It does drift a bit and was in some heavy winds last Sunday AM but I am betting that is normal for these older rigs. One thing that I will be changing is the headlights for sure though, these old car lamps just don't cut it on dark highways, any input is welcome on that subject.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
30 REPLIES 30

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Really funny and hard to figure how some can do with pencil and paper, what others need a computer of some sort, to do.
I'm speaking of actual mpg over time in all kinds of terrain, that is and my readout over a 10yr period, is 6.2. I'm not all that long as the third owner and most sure I could've done better all by myself, but still, there's only so much one can do with driving a motel suite. Not that the fuel cost is a consideration with the overall cost of ownership, anyway.

I don't think it is really so hard to figure out....you drive, record the miles, and record the fuel you use. I don't see a computer being any more accurate than that, there are no variables.
I agree that none of us really buy these beasts based upon fuel efficiency anyway. Heck a 10% increase based on my estimated miles of maybe 6K/yr should only save me around $150-200 clams for the year...monitoring the mileage is more for the entertainment value

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Really funny and hard to figure how some can do with pencil and paper, what others need a computer of some sort, to do.
I'm speaking of actual mpg over time in all kinds of terrain, that is and my readout over a 10yr period, is 6.2. I'm not all that long as the third owner and most sure I could've done better all by myself, but still, there's only so much one can do with driving a motel suite. Not that the fuel cost is a consideration with the overall cost of ownership, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
To clarify a little bit...

I had three adults (I may count for 1.5 actually) and a dog loaded just for a one week visit, nothing in tow, and was very light on the throttle. I avoided the downshift for hills when possible just because the revs were making the pooch nervous (one of them there vicious pit bulls). I didn't attempt to get up to speed quickly and just let the momentum build at what the drive train seemed comfortable with. The rig seemed to enjoy 55-60mph more than 65 anyway, I think that is the main factor for me.

Essentially you were hypermiling. I did that a few times in our old Class C and it was astounding the mileage improvement I could achieve with that V10! However we were usually rushed to get to our destination (job cramping my desired vacation lifestyle) so we often had to push the speed.

People who have never experience hypermile driving have no idea what it can accomplish. One part of it is to work with the terrain: speed up as safely as you can on downhills and drive at optimal RPM uphill without regard to your speed; you will likely be going quite slow by the time you reach the top of a long grade. Of course, vehicles behind you will get annoyed. I usually only did it when I was doing an overnight drive so there were few other vehicles on the road to annoy.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify a little bit...

I had three adults (I may count for 1.5 actually) and a dog loaded just for a one week visit, nothing in tow, and was very light on the throttle. I avoided the downshift for hills when possible just because the revs were making the pooch nervous (one of them there vicious pit bulls). I didn't attempt to get up to speed quickly and just let the momentum build at what the drive train seemed comfortable with. The rig seemed to enjoy 55-60mph more than 65 anyway, I think that is the main factor for me.

I am sure that if I was looking to make time at 65+ and towing a car like most rigs that I saw on the road it would have been different. I will do the mileage each trip next year just for fun and see where it falls.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We also get 9-10 mpg with our V-10. Drive 55-62 mph most of the time. I think not only head wind, but driver habits affect the mileage. We see people driving class A's that think they are in a race! I'm sure their mileage is not very good.

as said and say again that may be possible when you live on flat land and never seen large hills or mountain passes or pull a load. I base my opinion on western usa and bc Canada and you take your V10 with a toad and loaded for bear as most campers and snow birds are and you wont be seeing any 10MPG U will be lucky to see 7.5 average at best
two different worlds so really not one shoe fits all when it comes to FM

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also get 9-10 mpg with our V-10. Drive 55-62 mph most of the time. I think not only head wind, but driver habits affect the mileage. We see people driving class A's that think they are in a race! I'm sure their mileage is not very good.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
We get between 9 and 10 with our coach.

LOL and I get 12 with my isl 425 (downhill with a tail wind)

Then you should put a banks kit on it.

I' don't thing you'd believe anyone who doesn't get what you get.

I had a 2002 350ISC that I put the baddest banks kit available on it back in 2008 and it was very powerfull like 465HP but fuel mileage was like 7.5-8 in the combined mountain/freeway driving at best
I could get 9 but that's not a real figure to brag about because that was on long steady peddle flat freeway

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

Then you should put a banks kit on it.

I don't think you'd believe anyone who doesn't get what you get.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
When driving a car or pickup we sit behind the headlights and are looking through the beams which to some seems better than when in a class A. sitting higher with the lights down low and looking over the beam of light.
I have owned 3 different A's and never had a problem with my headlamps but I do see better when driving the Silverado or Jeep.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"I think they are just old and tired. The vehicle only had 36K on it so they could be originals"

I can't tell from your photo if you have dual, quad style, or modular headlamps but they do degrade over time. You can buy street legal upgraded sealed beam halogen lamps which put out more lumens. Look at the back side of the lamps at night when they are on. The reflectors inside the lamp degrade as well as the lenses. If the reflectors are bad, light will spill out into the engine bay. If the seal between the reflector and the lens leaks, water gets inside the lamp and ruins the reflector.

Chum lee

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
In 87,000 miles in a 1994 35' Bounder pusher with a 190 HP Cummins, I averaged 10.00 MPG. Sometimes I'd get 13 MPG, other times, 8 MPG. But the average was 10 MPG. I kept very accurate spreadsheets over 12 years of full timing.

I think the small engine, pushing 28,000 lbs and my light foot helped keep it that high.

In my present RV, a 2002 35' Journey, over just 7200 miles of my style driving, I'm getting 8.1 MPG average, hoping for more. This RV weighs 8,000 lbs more than the Bounder.

It's a process.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I got a whopping 9.5 MPG on my 95 F53 460 Bounder, ONCE!
Was rolling east out of Wyoming with a very strong tail wind.
Drove late into the night just for the fuel mileage.
Normal average with toad is 7 MPG.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson