Fire Hazard Appliance Recalls UPDATED NORCOLD INFO 11-20-2010

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
182 REPLIES 182

Williamh
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it does have the red light on. no blinking, just steady light. Thanks for the info. That seems to be my problem. I hope its no more than that.

William

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you check the heater pipes also. If one of them burns out it won't let the fridge cool.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
If the recall Chinese box has a red light on then it is blown. If you see metal chips in the area of the propane igniter then the coils are blown. Do not replace the refrigerator. They blew my coils out with their worthless recalls and then claimed they were not responsible. There is a company in Shipshewana, IN that makes coils for RV and Marine applications. The distributor is in Nashville, TN. You can do a google search and find the number. It cost me $1075.00 for them to drop ship the new coils to my house. I used a motorcycle jack to get the 1200 LM refrigerator out in my 2002 Southwind. They send you a complete set of instructions that are easy to follow. I removed 4 bolts, disconnected the cooling fans, took the old coils off, clean up the area where they were mounted, recaulked the fins and freezer area, put the new coils in, replaced the 4 bolts, sealed the seams, pushed it back in the opening and hooked it up. That was 4 years ago. Last year while I was in Arizona I mounted 2 pancake fans I bought at Radio Shack in the back of the fridge for extra cooling. The temp is set on 5 and it now freezes ice cream. If you need further info do not hesitate to e-mail me.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

Williamh
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 southwind with the Norcold 1200 refrigerator and have had two of the recalls done. I am now waiting for an appt. to get it checked out to determine if a third box is to be put on. As best as I can remember, the only other problem we have had with this refer is the ice maker had to be replaced. I read most of the comments on this forum under the Norcold recall and there was a mention of a smell of amonia when something went wrong. We were in Fl. last winter when we smelled a bad odor in the area of the ref. and curio cabinet(they are close together) but the smell went away and the ref. worked as normally all the way home (Nearly 900 miles) and in June of this year we went to Myrtle Beach or just south of myrtle beach and back home. It seemed to work perfectly, but just recently I went to move the MH up to my house to plug it in to Elec but the ref would not swith on. I am waiting for an appointment to have it checked out . I am wondering if something in the cooling system might have gone bad. The only time we had the ref. on propane was while traveling. Two days on the way from Fl. and about 8 hours to myrtle beach and 8 hrs back home. Any info would appreciated

William

JnCMiller
Explorer
Explorer
Our Norcold 1210 was in for it's 4th repair to the cooling unit and it finally happened......the unit caught on FIRE while in the shop, but fortunately the service technicians responded to the "on-board" smoke detector alarm, grabbed and dry chemical extinguishers and put out the fire before the coach and interior could ignite.

With so many fires, and product failures, how can Norcold continue to do business? Also, have you ever called their service center for assistance, talk about rude.

After a week and a half "off the road" we have installed a residential frig with little cabinet modifications and it seems to be working like a charm.

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from AZ and on the way the recall shut the refer down .I checked it out and the black box of the recall had shut the refer down. Here I am with a full refer and no cooling. I saw the red light on the recall and checked the 12 volt in and out of the box. Because of the situation I jumped the black box out. Called the dealer in Bull Head city and they wanted the coach for three days. Drove home with it jumped out. When to the dealer here and they reset the black box and told me to run it for 24 hours and charged me $56.00. I learned that to reset the black box all you have to do is hold a strong magnet to the upper right hand of the box until you hear a click and after the unit has cooled down. If I had this knowledge I would not have jumped out the safety and still would have been protected. Just a FYI for my camping friends
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

RamonaJ
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer located problem..refrigerator and inverter wiring was reversed. They wired correctly and Norcold has been working great ever since except for one minor problem on second trip out! The burner was fouled and needed to be cleaned so I got "No FL" message. Thank goodness for mechanic friend who met us halfway into Ga to Fl trip and corrected problem.

RamonaJ
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
RamonaJ wrote:
I recently purchased a 2007 Ambassador and took it out for first time this past weekend. The Norcold refigerator kept shutting down and blowing the breaker at the park when on AC. It did work fine on LP. Another camper advised me my unit might be included in recall. It was and Norcold advised me the fix had been performed on my unit. Will be returning motor home to dealer for fix but would like some ideas from other ref. owners on permanent fix.

If the cooling unit had sprung a leak, it would not work with either propane or AC. So your problem would not be what the recalls were all about. Sounds to me like you have some electrical problem that is over loading the circuit. It could even be a bad circuit breaker.

noleakman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 06 National Sea Breeze! I am wondering if I am suppose to hear fans at the back of the fridge from cooling fan's?? I have a frien with the same fridge and he says he can hear his fans run some of the time! I have read on this site that there is some wired backwards is this correct??

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
RamonaJ wrote:
I recently purchased a 2007 Ambassador and took it out for first time this past weekend. The Norcold refigerator kept shutting down and blowing the breaker at the park when on AC. It did work fine on LP. Another camper advised me my unit might be included in recall. It was and Norcold advised me the fix had been performed on my unit. Will be returning motor home to dealer for fix but would like some ideas from other ref. owners on permanent fix.

If the cooling unit had sprung a leak, it would not work with either propane or AC. So your problem would not be what the recalls were all about. Sounds to me like you have some electrical problem that is over loading the circuit. It could even be a bad circuit breaker.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RamonaJ
Explorer
Explorer

rooster2
Explorer
Explorer
Having an old RV "99 Norcold went out after 7 years. Had a rebuilt cooling unit put in and that on lasted about 4 years. It stopped cooling would not get down past 44 degrees, which is to warm. So, did some checking and got an Amish cooling unit and put it in myself. Good YouTube videos on how to. Think my problem with rebuilt was not the cooling unit, but the cooling fans went out.
">

DannyLeininger
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
If my 1210 ever gives me problems (and I've had the recalls done), it's history and a residential fridge will replace it.

Ron

I'm a step ahead of you... DW wasn't feeling comfortable with all the issues surrounding Norcolds...so the Samsung's in and the Norcold is out! BTW if anyone lives or is passing near San Antonio I've got a Norcold 1200 looking for a new home... :-))
Danny Leininger
2013 Newmar Essex 4547
500 HP Cummins ISX on a Spartan K2 Chassis
2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4, nice
Good Sams, FMCA, Newmar Kountry Klub, AARP....

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the coils in my Norcold almost 3 years ago. It works great. No recall sensor necessary. And I would check the wiring connection for the cooling fans. I found out mine was wired backwards. Even though they are 12 volt pancake fans they will not work if the black wire and white wire are switched in the control panel on the back of the refrigerator. My original coils, with the recall sensor installed, blew out. Instead of buying a residential refrigerator and going through the problem of fit and finish to install it in the motorhome, I put in the Amish made coils. A whole lot cheaper than rebuilding the cabinet area around the fridge and it still works on propane.

Think about it.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If my 1210 ever gives me problems (and I've had the recalls done), it's history and a residential fridge will replace it.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....