cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fire extinguisher

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2006 Class C Itasca has the original 2-1/2 pound fire extinguisher, a Kidde non-refillable model that, I understand, has been recalled. So I'm looking at replacing it.

The simple thing would be to get another 2-1/2 pound extinguisher, but they are not rated very highly (one brand I looked at today was rated 1-A/10-B,C, which is just a few seconds of trying to put out a fire). But is that enough, or should I be looking at a five-pound model? The location is tight, and I'm going to have to do some pretty clever fitting to make a larger one work; but I'd rather do that than regret NOT doing the work if ever I need it.

I'd appreciate hearing what other folks have done.
16 REPLIES 16

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I heard a story once about a salesman showing a rv to a couple, one of the two asked about the fire extinguisher and the salesman replied " that's the souvenir, in case of a fire grab it on your way out the door, cause that is all its good for in the case of a RV fire "
Proud father of a US Marine

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I've been waiting since November for my replacement. Called several times. Always get the "in another two weeks" answer. Finally got a hold of someone actually in the company service dept. so maybe this time.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I received my replacement fire extinguisher yesterday.

called on 1/31/18, received replacement on 2/8/18

Kidde replaced an E10 (Canadian unit) with an FC10

The E10 had a red plastic trigger lock that has tabs that kept it from falling out. The FC10 has a metal trigger lock - only held in by the yellow strap for shipping (which I snipped off immediately).

With the extinguisher mounted with the pressure gauge and trigger lock against the wall the trigger lock won't come off or fall out, but it will rattle (metal trigger lock against metal trigger) like the dickens in the MH while going down the road. Leaving on the yellow strap would not make a difference. I'm now kind of liking the plastic trigger lock.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We got a recall notice through. in the USPS mail, it didn't make a whole lot of since, and the pictures did'n look like ours. So my wife called Kidde. Ours was not one being recalled, is the reason it didn't look right. Thanks, To Kiddy and Winnabago..

Dusry

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I had both of my Kidde fire extinguishers replaced under recall.

I keep one by the entry door where is was originally installed by Itasca.

I mounted the second one beside my bed, where I can reach it on my way to the exit window in the bedroom. There are propane appliances between me and the entry door so I didn't want to depend on that.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
I got two of mine pretty quickly. The other 3 took a couple of months to arrive. Be patient.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:

How long did it take? I've been waiting several months for two replacements.

I got my replacements for my four 2 1/2 pounders in about 2 months. The replacements for my two 5 pounders took almost 3 months. Kidde is recalling all the plastic headed extinguishers back to 1973. That has to be millions of them. They replaced my non-rechargeable extinguishers withe Kidde Pro extinguishers which are rechargeable.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
lawrosa wrote:
Just put in your model # here. Kiddee sent me a new extinguisher free..

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/

It took less than two weeks to get our replacement.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Thor sent me a recall notice. It even had my MH's VIN printed on it. The recall link in the letter did not work for me because I have an American MH that has a Canadian fire extinguisher. :h I ended up doing it over the phone by calling the "Consumer Contact" number for Kidde in this link:

https://www.cpsc.gov/id/node/36700

If your extinguisher is from an RV they will want the RV's VIN when processing the request.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I was told was to stay away from the plastic head assemblies as opposed to metallic heads/valves etc .

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
As a fire guy, I have the one installed that came with the trailer but carry at least one extra as well. Out west here itโ€™s also important to have them during fire season if camp fires are allowed. I would recommend carrying the largest that will fit and purchase it from a fire extinguisher dealer rather than a big box store. You will most likely get a better product for the similar price. Oh and donโ€™t buy a Kidde of any size.

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I carry two 5 pounders as well. Always one in the toad too. Better to have and not need than need and not have. BTW, I did need the OE one the first year I owned the RV. Although it was sufficient to put out the inside fire which had been working for a minute or so, I then realized an additional one would really be a bonus.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."