cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F550 thoughts?

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thinking about a F550 chassis motorhome with the 6.7 diesel.

I will need to tow around 6k lbs and will go over Raton and/or Monarch Pass frequently.

Thoughts on power?
Ride quality?
Fuel economy?

Thanks
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs
10 REPLIES 10

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lumpty wrote:
My concern with a Ford F550 chassis-based rig would be there are any number of engine repairs where Ford designs things in such a way that the cab is supposed to be lifted off. The house cabover is going to prevent that.

From what I have read it can be serviced from the top. If the engine has to come out it comes out the front
GD Reflection 29rs

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjstractor wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
You must be clairvoyant.
Where did you get all those "stats" on the as yet unnamed vehicle/motorhome?

Unless the OP edited the original post, the motorhome is not unnamed. It's an F550, which has hydraulic brakes, and the GVWR and GCWR figures are readily available online.

I don't have a clue as to what he's talking about either. Post hasn't been edited
GD Reflection 29rs

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
fredandkathy wrote:
We have a Thor Magnitude with an F550 chassis and love it. It has the power to tow my Wrangler 4XE with no problems and I get just about 10 mpg while towing. The Wrangler weighs about 5500 pounds. You should have no problems on any hills that you encounter. My Magnitude is 19500 pounds.

Thanks
GD Reflection 29rs

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
MDKMDK wrote:
Does it require an air brakes endorsement to drive?

The chassis numbers for GVWR and GCWR will tell the tale on that.

LOL. Itโ€™s a pickup truck chassis, they have never made one with air brakes, and there is only one F550 chassis so there is only one GVWR and GCWR number, no options.

We have several of those chassis (albeit with flatbeds or dry van bodies) and with a cheap plug in tuner they are a very spirited drivetrain, even with a pretty big load on. Even empty they have a very civilized ride. The older one a have here as a farm truck has a *far* nicer ride than my cousins Dodge 350 does.

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
My concern with a Ford F550 chassis-based rig would be there are any number of engine repairs where Ford designs things in such a way that the cab is supposed to be lifted off. The house cabover is going to prevent that.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
MDKMDK wrote:
You must be clairvoyant.

Unless the OP edited the original post, the motorhome is not unnamed. It's an F550, which has hydraulic brakes, and the GVWR and GCWR figures are readily available online.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
You must be clairvoyant.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be fine driving it with air-brakes and a regular operators drivers license.
Under 26,000 lbs , non- commercial privately owned vehicle.

fredandkathy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Thor Magnitude with an F550 chassis and love it. It has the power to tow my Wrangler 4XE with no problems and I get just about 10 mpg while towing. The Wrangler weighs about 5500 pounds. You should have no problems on any hills that you encounter. My Magnitude is 19500 pounds.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
That's potentially a big rig.
Does it require an air brakes endorsement to drive?
Should have enough power for reasonable hill climbs/descents. The chassis numbers for GVWR and GCWR will tell the tale on that. You're probably not going to win any races with it.
Ride quality is pretty subjective, bad roads, bad ride, good roads, ???
I wouldn't worry too much about fuel economy on anything that large. The old saying,"if you have to ask MPG, you're probably in over your head". (paraphrasing)
Engine braking on one of those bigger rigs would be a benefit, particularly if you're climbing and descending grades over 3%-4% - safety factor?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)