cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 rear diff service

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Planning on changing the gear oil on my new to me 2012 F53. I've got the fluid, not the issue. I can't find anywhere on what is needed to change it. I'm assuming there are drain no fill plugs, but can't verify it, the RV is in storage right now so I can't climb under and look at it. Just wondering if anyone has physically done it and can verify!

Yes I know it's filled for life, but I have never bought into that, especially after seeing trans fluid that's filled for life after 50k miles! BTW I am doing my trans and brake fluid also. And probably PS fluid. Coolant has already been done.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
9 REPLIES 9

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well there is no cover on these rear ends. It has a drop out center section. I looked up ford parts and there is a drain plug in the bottom of the axle housing, and a fill plug up higher.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pirate wrote:
or maybe some folks don't know what they are talking about.

Key word is "most".
Sheesh. :h
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
If your differential does not have a drain plug, check this out before you go pulling off the cover:
Oil pump
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
77rollalong wrote:
most diffs dont have a drain hole, the fill on most is on the back of the diff cover, some are also on the side of the diff case..

Correct.
The rear cover will need to be removed to drain the fluid.
You would need some RTV silicone to reseal the cover.
Gee, my 2006 has a drain plug, perhaps they got cheap with the 2012 or maybe some folks don't know what they are talking about.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
77rollalong wrote:
most diffs dont have a drain hole, the fill on most is on the back of the diff cover, some are also on the side of the diff case..

Correct.
The rear cover will need to be removed to drain the fluid.
You would need some RTV silicone to reseal the cover.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks. I'm a tech and some trucks have them and some don't. However this is the first time doing it on an axle this big. I was figuring it had 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive plugs but wasn't sure. And yes I plan on doing it in the driveway immediately when it comes home from storage (when it's warm).
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lou hit it on the dot. I change out all my fluids. The new synthetic gear oils last longer, and you see it when you change them out. No where as black as the old stuff.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak specifically on a 2012 chassis, but typically there is a drain on the bottom and a fill on the side at the correct height level. They both should be a 1/2" square drive plug in which you simply use a ratchet to remove and reinstall. If possible, drain when warm and then refill until the level is at the bottom of the fill plug hole. Simple, easy and I agree, replacing lubricants is always a good idea. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy