cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-53 Axle vent

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
A couple of years ago, I was traveling with my F-53 Chassis, class A Motor Home when I notice the smell of gear oil. Checked the rear axle and the inside of both inner rear rims were covered in gear oil. I could see losing a seal on one side from normal wear, but not both sides at the same time. Crawled under to check the rear axle vent and sure enough it was plugged. Some small insect had crawled into it and barricaded it self inside with mud. The vent is just a rubber tubing connector in the shape of a V, put in line so that the open end is facing toward the rear. At any rate, the repairs cost me over $1500. NOT one of Fords better ideas.
This spring I got the rig out of the shed and did my yearly preflight inspection. Sure enough the vent was once again plugged in the same way. Not a big deal as cleaning it out, only requires a piece of wire or a straightened out paper clip, but its still a lousy design.
Cure, order a Dorman 924-284 vent online. It's a covered vent and fits snuggly into the tubing. This should take care of any vent/bug problem.
7 REPLIES 7

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
JDsdogs wrote:

I can only figure that the suggested the torque wrench is for properly tightening the lug nuts? One is not of much use to set up the wheel bearings.
It is if you are following the Ford service book, unless of course you have memorized their specs.

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
Hikerdogs wrote:
Several companies offer a vent tube cap that eliminates the problem of bugs and debris. Both our motorhomes had these caps installed on the vent tube. I assumed they came from Ford, but looking for a Ford part number has so far been unsuccessful.

They may have been installed at the Winnebago factory, at their service center in Forest City, or by our local Ford garage. I suspect the latter in that this dealership also sells Jeeps, and the caps are almost identical to those on the vent tubes of our Jeep Wrangler.

The one that fit mine perfectly fits a 2000 Toyota 4 runner. You can get one from a dealer, but the Dorman unit is aftermarket and considerably cheaper.
Nice that yours came with better vents.

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
1500 bucks. I do mine in the driveway. 30 bucks a side for the seals but you need a good torque wrench that indicates both clockwise and counter clockwise plus the special socket to remove the hubs....and gear oil, almost forgot that.

Ford isn't the only one who uses a rubber hose, they all do.

Some differentials do not have hoses connected to their vents, some vents may be screwed into or driven into the differential housing. The rubber hose was not the issue, it's the lack of a vent cover that cause the issue.
I have the necessary tools, unfortunately they were 1500 mi away or I could have done it myself as well.
The bearings had enough wear that they warranted replacement while we had them apart which increased the cost significantly. The bearings were not blown and were not the cause of the seal failure. I figure that the seals, having a fair amount of miles on them, along with the plugged vent was the cause of the failure.
Also, if you tear the rear end of your motor home apart in your driveway, make sure that it is properly supported, so you don't kill your self.

I can only figure that the suggested the torque wrench is for properly tightening the lug nuts? One is not of much use to set up the wheel bearings.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Several companies offer a vent tube cap that eliminates the problem of bugs and debris. Both our motorhomes had these caps installed on the vent tube. I assumed they came from Ford, but looking for a Ford part number has so far been unsuccessful.

They may have been installed at the Winnebago factory, at their service center in Forest City, or by our local Ford garage. I suspect the latter in that this dealership also sells Jeeps, and the caps are almost identical to those on the vent tubes of our Jeep Wrangler.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
I just Tye Rapped a chunk of nylon stocking over the rubber tubing on the propane regulator on my Generator when I found Mud Dobbers building a nest for their young in my tube. Has been there for over 10 years now with no more problems. I have found them building nests in my Trailer plugs and any other round protected area they can find including the small channels in the awning arms. They are a pain in the rear and in some cases can cost us big bucks.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just plugging the vent shouldn't destroy the seals. They will leak from the pressure but if caught soon enough, they will seal back up as soon as the internal pressure is taken care of. Of course you still have to deal with any damage done to the braking material from gear oil.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
1500 bucks. I do mine in the driveway. 30 bucks a side for the seals but you need a good torque wrench that indicates both clockwise and counter clockwise plus the special socket to remove the hubs....and gear oil, almost forgot that.

Ford isn't the only one who uses a rubber hose, they all do.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB