cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ethanol killing generator--over and over?

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer replaced the fuel pump in my ONAN generator because of the ethanol in the gas. He said I might have to do it once or twice a year because the ethanol is eating up the diaphragm in the fuel pump. And ONAN will NOT warranty it because of the ethanol. Why can't a fuel pump be constructed to handle that? Technology does nearly everything else? I may just use my Honda 2000 instead ๐Ÿ˜ž How many of you are having this problem? Any other solutions besides burning pure fuel (yeah, right--7 mpg on 50+ cent higher gas?)
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
27 REPLIES 27

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Ethanol will destroy an engine, but you can help it by adding Seafoam at 1oz/gal of fuel to every tank. My 1999 Onan 5.5 seems to like it!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd find another dealer. That guy is taking you for a ride.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The worst damage that I've seen is in 4 stroke carburetors. The bowl has to be vented to atmosphere and the ethanol is hygroscopic so it absorbs moisture and gunks everything up. Two strokes don't have a bowl, just diaphragms so they don't have as much problem and it would seem to apply to something like your fuel pump. I don't think the fuel will necessarily destroy the diaphragm but leaving it in there a long time may. We put a full sheet of paper notice on each piece of repaired equipment that said never use fuel over 45 days old.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkieBob wrote:
I guess I don't start it often enough. Once a month for a couple hours?

Well there is a reason Onan recommends you exercise the generator. Putting a slightly rich dose of Stabill before you let it set should be cheap insurance. That and following the exercise routine called out by Onan.
Let us know how it works.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
read this it may help

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commentary/the-problem-with-ethanol-in-gasoline/article29103634/

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As others have indicated - that's rubbish. Onan work just fine without having to buy special fuel - find another place to have your RV worked on.
Kevin

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
mmccray100 wrote:
I've got an Onan 5000 in my 1999 Winnebago.... never had that problem and have never heard of it. Is somebody pulling your leg?

I have the same generator in our 1996 Southwind. No problems.
I run it, under load, about 45 minutes every month.
The OP needs a new dealer.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mmccray100 wrote:
I've got an Onan 5000 in my 1999 Winnebago.... never had that problem and have never heard of it. Is somebody pulling your leg?

same here. Onan gennys in two motorhomes over a 30-yr period and no issues like the OP is reporting. maybe inferior parts to begin with. a call to Onan is advisable.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it is hard to find non-ethanol fuel and it can be expensive. On page 45 of the Cummins document (link) says that no more then 10% ethanol. This would lead me to believe that the equipment is designed to run on blend of ethanol fuel. However there are some challenges with blended ethanol fuel specifically when storing for more that a month or 2. The ethanol comes out of solution. There are several additives the help with that. The ethanol also cleans out the fuel system and can plug fuel filters. Your coach is new enough that the fuel system is designed for ethanol fuel. I would google ethanol fuel to understand the issues with it.

https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/Cummins_Onan_Generator_Seminar_Apr_2017_002.pdf
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Your "dealer" is full of ****. That Onan will run on ethanol gasoline just fine. I've had two coaches with Onan 5500 gas generators and they ran with it with no problems.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
I would get an after market fuel pump. What Gen do you have, 2 hours should be good. Might also try Stabil in the tank.

LEN

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I don't start it often enough. Once a month for a couple hours?
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer