cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

easy place to get gas

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 ft rv just wondering were is the best place to get gas at a regular store or a truck stop, looking for the easy place to stop and avoiding any problems.
13 REPLIES 13

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig is 24 feet long but we tow another vehicle all the time.

We buy our gas at stations advertising the lowest price. Brands are of no concern to us. The lowest price is often found at regular size stations, especially when off the beaten path. It takes fast planning moments ahead but we do fine.

A 30 foot rig not towing anything will be much easier at regular gas stations than our 6 foot shorter rig but towing. Just watch your mirrors. A back-up camera helps too. If travelling with another set of eyes, have them stand outside and "spot you" until your confidence builds up. After a while, you'll get real good on your own.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This is why we Co-Drive....

The navigator (right sea) has GasBuddy and Google Earth running on a phone, taplet or laptop. When a good price is found in the area where fuel is likely to be needed or wanted (watch out when changing states), navigator will find a good value station, and then study it from Google Earth and maybe go down to Street View. If it looks promising, we plan that for a stop.

This is all a lot easier to do once the practice is in place and it does save both grief and money.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ronfisherman
Our Sams Club has the cheapest gas around. laid out similar to a costco.
As others have suggest. Use GasBuddy.com and search out your fuel stops. They also have APP's. While truck stops may not be the cheapest fuel. They are generally the easiest to get to when traveling Freeways. We also used a book called the Next Exit Their site shows they now have a APP for the book.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a Costco member , seems like there gas & diesel are the cheapest, Walmart and Murphy USA are good also and easy in and out !
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 36โ€™ Foretravel towing a Jeep, my favorite was Walmart due to the price. It carried 180gal of diesel.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
I previously had a 33 foot class A towing my CRV and currently have a 28 foot class C towing the same car. I have a local station for fuel near home and while traveling I look for suitable stations while out sightseeing in the towd when I need to refuel. I have, on occasion, left the CRV at the park while I take the motorhome for fuel, then return, hook up, and get on our way. A little planning and there should be no problems.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
When driving down the road I look for the exits that have the most gas stations figuring that one of them would be suitable. The ones that have the lanes parallel to the road are the easiest to get into and out of.

I drive a 32 footer with car behind-as Dick B. said pump islands parallel to the road are a must. Many times I have driven by stations with the islands facing the station knowing that it is almost impossible to have enough room to swing out after gassing up.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31ft class c and a motorcycle carrier on the back which makes us about 35ft. While traveling we will use Loves, flying j, etc... Easy on and off the highway and roomy, at home, we scoped out a local station that will accomodate us and is also close to our house
Proud father of a US Marine

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When driving down the road I look for the exits that have the most gas stations figuring that one of them would be suitable. The ones that have the lanes parallel to the road are the easiest to get into and out of.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We use a lot of Walmarts, or whatever. 30' Class A with toad, never had any problem. Well, once a car pulled up and blocked my exit while the drivers went in for a hamburger. I just blocked three pumps, and DW and I fixed and ate lunch. I did go inside to the fuel desk, and told them that I could not move until they went and got the other to move. Not my problem. Apparently the fuel desk did not consider it a problem either.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Look for Flying J truck stops. These travel plazas have separate RV islands for lengthy RV's. Download the Pilot/Flying J app to find locations along your way. Prices generally competitive. You can also buy a GoodSam membership that will save you 5 cents per gallon at Flying J. Well worth the annual fee.
2010 Suncruiser

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I look for the larger gas stations usually located near the offramps along the interstates. These will have multiple islands and wide driveways.

The main thing to be aware of is the height of your Class C. You don't want to pull under a 10ft high overhead if your RV is 12 feet high.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Truck stops can be roomier for gasoline requirements, but they're also sometimes more expensive than gas stations. It varies from place to place. Some truck stops have "RV Islands" that are easier for larger rigs - usually located closer to the non-commercial pumps.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)