cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving a Class C on Snow and Ice

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I have never driven a Class C on snow or ice but the idea sounds scary. Here in Socal it is possible to get into snow and ice in local mountains. Driving a Class C on icy mountain curves and grades doesn't look like fun. Where can an RV'er get how-to info on snow and ice driving, choice of and installing chains, etc.?
20 REPLIES 20

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ductape Dave wrote:
That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Once you start sliding down a hill you can kiss your investment goodbye.:h

Double ditto. Vis a vis snow and ice one piece of advice is always appropriate: when in doubt, wait out.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You start out with winter tires, for one thing. You can go to your local tire shop, Les Scwhab, if you have one. and get someone that actually knows, to show you what chains or cables you 'could' get and if you do, have them show you how to put them on. Carry a couple bags of sand or kitty litter and a couple of those military surplus collapsing shovels.

The hardest thing about snow or ice conditions is controlling your nerves and your speed. You get traffic behind you and next thing is, you are trying to appease those drives and putting yourself at risk. Be well versed in using the transmission selector to get yourself set up for the downhills...and when approaching an obviously slippery uphill section..look ahead...all the way up to ensure the way is clear, find a nice comfy speed and keep that speed. Just loaf on up and keep your situational awareness. Is there another vehicle coming up from behind or coming down at you? Use your 4 ways if you like. And unless you are out of options, don't stop. If you do stop..out comes the kitty litter.

You have a kitchen in there..pull way off and make a coffee or tea. Something..anything, to relax a bit. We make fewer mistakes when we get that few minutes of rest. When or if, it gets really hairy, I turn the music down and tell anyone else with me to be quiet and let me concentrate. If it's going to be a long haul, then a soft conversation is good. The hardest thing is to know when you have reached your limit. Men have to keep going, eh. The driver has the responsibility. Go or stop, but the driver is the one to make the call.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
I have never driven a Class C on snow or ice but the idea sounds scary. Here in Socal it is possible to get into snow and ice in local mountains. Driving a Class C on icy mountain curves and grades doesn't look like fun.

Where can an RV'er get how-to info on snow and ice driving, choice of and installing chains, etc.?

I'm from up North and have to drive my personal vehicle in snow and icy conditions. And of course we all have the experience on how to safely.

That said....I would NEVER get in and drive my MH during snowy or icy conditions ever.

There is no reason to have to either. Simply wait until the plows have come thru to open the roads and make them safe for driving.

The county road crews in the mountains are very proficient in maintaining and keeping the roads open after a storm. Just pull off and wait for them to do their job if you are in an RV.

Just saying, life is to short to be in that much of a hurry to put yourself in a dangerous situation with a vehicle not meant to handle well on snow and ice. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jamesa403
Explorer
Explorer
You could always take a truck driving skid instruction course. I know they have one in Michigan where they teach you how to operate a truck during a skid. Otherwise, do what Pianotuna says. Also, when going slowly on the road, check the brakes to see what happens, and how far you skid.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you plan on mountain driving then chains may be necessary.

I've made thousands of miles of winter conditions driving my my class C. Slow down, and drive defensively. I've not had an issue yet. I have been storm stayed twice on trips. One of those was in the Canadian Rockies.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Once you start sliding down a hill you can kiss your investment goodbye.:h
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5