cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Junk

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Plan and simple. New Dometic AC installed 12/22 failed 6/23 but only used 3 weeks tops in that time. 15k unit failed. I mean how can you be in business with this stuff. And it's not just me. How I miss Carrier.Yup expensive but will give you 15yrs plus. No wonder the rv co didn't want them!!
2007 Damon Daybreak 35.4ft Class A
2001 Georgie Boy 31ft Class C
2003 Coachman Auroa Gold Class A
1995 Coachman Santara Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up
1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van
12 REPLIES 12

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
When we were replacing the Dometic AC on our new trailer in 2017 I researched high and low for the best and bought a Atwood AirCommand. Took a few weeks for delivery as it was from Australia but compared to the Dometic, well it doesn't compare to a Dometic they aren't even close to the same.

Unfortunately Dometic bought AtWood a few years ago and I'm sure have had their engineers build in some planned obsolescence.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
So it just going to get worse then. Great!!
2000 Coachman Pop-up

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
And 20 years from now people will be bemoaning how lousy the new stuff is and yearning for the reliable things from 20 years ago.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great response K9 Keno. Cheers to free speech.

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
StonedPanther wrote:
k9-keno wrote:
QCMan wrote:
I envy you sir! I sure wish I had a life where nothing I bought ever needed repair. How devastating it must be to encounter a failure after never having anything ever fail before. Start therapy now!
Funny guy! When is the last time you had a Dometic installer tell you to your face we sell junk now? I'm going to say never. The DOMETIC INSTALLERS are even saying it. Nothing made today is anything like the way it use to be made. Yup Dometic made some great stuff over the years. But the quality now is ****. Do you have any idea how many AC units a month my local dealer chucks away that are under 5 years? You would be shocked. If you think I'm complaining because of one incident I'm not I took the time to research how horrible the quality is now.Planned obsolescence!

"But the quality now is ****" And has been for quite awhile. The only thing worse than their product quality is Dometic's Service and Support. Going back to 2016/2017 their AC units had tons of failure complaints on a lot of brand specific Boards like Forest River Forums. AC units that lost refrigerant charge, just quit, or had the fan explode while in use a few months or weeks into ownership of a new rig. The common denominator was how long it took to get the Dealer/RV Manufacturer/Dometic to perform a replacement as that was the solution every time as no parts could be had. Then the replacement failed in a short amount of time. Perhaps LCI should buy out Dometic LOL.

Exactly!!!! Don't hear a response from my peanut gallery guy who said I need therapy.. lol
2000 Coachman Pop-up

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
k9-keno wrote:
QCMan wrote:
I envy you sir! I sure wish I had a life where nothing I bought ever needed repair. How devastating it must be to encounter a failure after never having anything ever fail before. Start therapy now!
Funny guy! When is the last time you had a Dometic installer tell you to your face we sell junk now? I'm going to say never. The DOMETIC INSTALLERS are even saying it. Nothing made today is anything like the way it use to be made. Yup Dometic made some great stuff over the years. But the quality now is ****. Do you have any idea how many AC units a month my local dealer chucks away that are under 5 years? You would be shocked. If you think I'm complaining because of one incident I'm not I took the time to research how horrible the quality is now.Planned obsolescence!

"But the quality now is ****" And has been for quite awhile. The only thing worse than their product quality is Dometic's Service and Support. Going back to 2016/2017 their AC units had tons of failure complaints on a lot of brand specific Boards like Forest River Forums. AC units that lost refrigerant charge, just quit, or had the fan explode while in use a few months or weeks into ownership of a new rig. The common denominator was how long it took to get the Dealer/RV Manufacturer/Dometic to perform a replacement as that was the solution every time as no parts could be had. Then the replacement failed in a short amount of time. Perhaps LCI should buy out Dometic LOL.

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
2000 Coachman Pop-up

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
You have answered your own question. If all they produced was junk, they would not have been in business for the last 22 years, as well as a leader in the industry. Sorry for your misfortune. Have you contacted them about the issue?

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Having it only six months I'm sure the warranty will cover the repair or replacement. Sometimes new things are defective. That's why warranties exist. Sure, an inconvenience, but it happens. Dometic has been in the RV game a long time with many different products over the years. I'm sure they will take care of you.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

Bruce_Brown
I would call that a manufacturing defect and expect it to be a warranty issue - that is assuming something external (voltage spike, etc) didn't take it out.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear about that, we have had good luck with our Dometic products over 3 decades of RVing. I guess any manufacturer can put out a dud here or there, never heard a Dometic AC unit take a dump so soon, most last well over a decade, at least that has been our experience.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member