cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic defrost failure code

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
My refrig is showing an error code of 12. Dometic NDA 1402 refrigerator. This means the refrigerator defrost element is bad. I removed the element and checked the resistance. I got 380 K ohms which is way more than specs. I'm ordering a new element and need to find out what type of adhesive they use to attach the element to the cooling fins. And any other suggestions on installing the tape type heater.

I called Dometic and they were no help, said call a RV repair shop.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV
8 REPLIES 8

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
I remember that when I had that unit on my HR, it was a code 13 I got when it went bad...and the entire freezer icemaker had to be taken apart to get to that strip. It was a bear.

Fortunantly mine is code 12. I've already got the heating element out and waiting for the new one to arrive. It was pretty easy.
Tampa Bay
'14 Honda CRV

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I remember that when I had that unit on my HR, it was a code 13 I got when it went bad...and the entire freezer icemaker had to be taken apart to get to that strip. It was a bear.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
tommy g wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Next time your Auto breaks down, Call Ford and ask how to fix it. Or call the local Ford or Repair shop and ask how to fix it. What do you think they will tell you? They are IN THE BUSINESS to make money repairing Autos and not in the business to tell YOU how to repair your auto. SAME with RV supply companies and RV service centers. I get calls from people like you weekly and all I tell them is, make an appt to get it in and we will fix it for you at a reasonable charge. Then THEY get upset. Some people have no clue how other people make money. Doug
I disagree with your premise. All of my major work is done by a repair shop. The next time mine breaks down, I WILL NOT call Ford. No dealer within 100 miles can work on mine(per them)! We always tell new folks that they need to be handy. I don't think that doing our own minor repairs is costing anyone a living wage. The OP is not asking an RV dealer or shop to give him info. He is asking his friends on this forum. The response from Dometic is what would disappoint me. In response to OP: I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with that fridge.

Your premise is wrong. I have NO problem with anybody doing their own repairs. What I have a problem with is, calling ME and asking how to fix or diagnosis something. THAT is MY livelihood and I do NOT give my services away for free. I CHOOSE to help people on my own time on these forums. Doug

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks YC1. That explains how the sticky stuff got on the back of the cooling fins.

As for the poster who feels I'm trying to take advantage of him; I called the manufacturer of the refrigerator - Dometic and ask for a tech to help me diagnose my issue. They don't have techs and referred me to a rv repair place. Dometic is the first manufacturer I've ever called who would not help me with their product.
Tampa Bay
'14 Honda CRV

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Next time your Auto breaks down, Call Ford and ask how to fix it. Or call the local Ford or Repair shop and ask how to fix it. What do you think they will tell you? They are IN THE BUSINESS to make money repairing Autos and not in the business to tell YOU how to repair your auto. SAME with RV supply companies and RV service centers. I get calls from people like you weekly and all I tell them is, make an appt to get it in and we will fix it for you at a reasonable charge. Then THEY get upset. Some people have no clue how other people make money. Doug
I disagree with your premise. All of my major work is done by a repair shop. The next time mine breaks down, I WILL NOT call Ford. No dealer within 100 miles can work on mine(per them)! We always tell new folks that they need to be handy. I don't think that doing our own minor repairs is costing anyone a living wage. The OP is not asking an RV dealer or shop to give him info. He is asking his friends on this forum. The response from Dometic is what would disappoint me. In response to OP: I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with that fridge.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Reminds me of a sign we had in our shop:

You would not do this in a restaurant, "I brought my own bacon and eggs, would you fix me breakfast" so why do it here?.
But we would give advice....
Wildmanbaker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
It should come with a sticky back already.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008