cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you let you kids drive your motorhome

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I was sitting at the dealership today when a guy sitting across from me got a call from, I found out later, his son-in-law. Come to find out that this guy bought a new motorhome last year and his son-in-law was asking to barrow it. He thought going on a vacation was a good thing to do and barrowing the motorhome was the way to do it.

He nicely told his son-in-law that his motorhome is not something he loans out and the son-in-law obviously didn't like that answer. The son-in-law was not letting it go and tried two or three different ways of convincing this guy why he should loan it out. I felt bad for the guy because he was trying to be nice to someone who was obviously pushing the bounds.

What about you guys, do you loan out your motorhome? Obviously you don't if you full time, but what about those who use it a couple months? Do you loan it out to your kids, neighbors and friends?
49 REPLIES 49

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
This depends on the son in law. Some people are good with stuff. Others... not so much.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I should have mentioned. Kind of like loaning a relative $5000. DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU CAN AFFORD TO NOT BE PAID BACK. Same with loaning the motorhome. Plan on not getting reimbursed for any damage and that will go a long way to alleviate hard feelings. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. IF the relative has NOT had experiance driving and Camping in a Motorhome, then NO.
2. WHO will pay for any damage? The owner assumes that the relative will pay. But then, if Son/Daughter/In law kids damage it, there will be very hard feelings if they do not have the money or feel that they are not responsible. Sadly, in this day and age, it seems NOBODY ever feels responsible when they cause damage, it is always someone else's fault.
3. The rift in a family is a LOT LESS from refusing the use rather than the BIG RIFT if they do damage it.
4. Inexperianced Motorhome operators WILL probably damage it. Kind of like what insurance agents tell the Parents when the 16 year old starts driving---NOT IF they have an accident in 3 years but WHEN they have an accident. Doug

PS, I have fixed LOTS of Motorhomes in 42 years from relatives just Borrowing the Motorhome and I have seen the hard feelings from what it does cost the owner versus what the relative actually wants to pay. AFTER this happens, the owner never lets anybody borrow it again----NOT just outside wreck damage, but interior damage. I am always amazed how relatives can destroy the interior of a NICE motorhome. WHY? Because they don't care and besides they did not have to pay for the Motorhome in the first place with their hard earned money

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not surprised that some people will ask. We all know those that have no
limits and unfortunately they are the ones that you would trust the least.
Without a doubt, it would be hard to tell anyone close to us no but if you
let them use it others will know and they will all feel it's ok so they will
want their turn. Before long you'll have to make an appointment to use your
own HOHO. We looked at a nearly new coach, the insides were an unbelievable
mess, food stains on literally everything, window shades were torn, etc.
Their kids had borrowed the coach.
So, I can't see how it would be a good thing to get started. Let their mother tell them no. LOL

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
There several of my close friends that I would loan the coach to, and I have invited my daughter to borrow it. My son (the older of the two) has proven to be irresponsible and is sure that he knows much more than can be proven. He only asked once and I didn't turn him down, his mother did - in spades.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If I knew the person that was going to borrow it could handle it then yes. Driving a 30 plus foot 20k lb vehicle isn't like borrowing a Honda! Not to mention the proper way of using all the individual systems.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes. An RV is just a thing and I don't covet possessions. My son is my son and welcome to whatever I own. He understands if something gets damaged, he'll fix it. For us, the whole purpose of owning an RV is to enjoy time with those we love and that has always included him. If he wants to share that experience with someone he loves - especially his own family, I am happy to help.

On edit, I should add, we have taken my son camping since he was very young. We've owned various MH's and now a FW. I've taught him - and tasked him - with operating all the systems, including hooking- unhooking the car from the MH and the FW from the truck. I certainly agree there is risk to handing the keys to someone who has never done it before. Not just to the RV but to themselves. Things can be fixed.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Depends:
- An 18yr old heading south for spring break with his buddies...not a chance.
- A 35yr old responsible married son who's driven it a few times with me on board and understands the systems fairly well...I might require the deductible be placed with me before handing over the keys but why not.

Might also vary a little based on the value of the RV. A 10yr old small class C worth $15k, I'm going to be a lot more easy going about loaning it out vs a brand new $750k diesel pusher.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't (and don't) lend my motorhome to just anybody, but I'm certainly willing to lend it to the right people, who I know are generally responsible and are competent to drive it. I'd do the same with my house or car, for that matter.

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
That would be a hard no!
Although I used to borrow my parents motorhome. Never messed it up. Messed up plenty of their other possessions!

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing the guy said to me is that he bought his motorhome new. And he did that because he wanted to know how the coach was taken care of. He even picked up his motorhome in Indiana because he wanted his driving to be the first on the 1300 miles home.

I wanted to ask him what his daughter thought about all this but he was called that is car was ready. I for one am amazed someone would even ask a question like that? Did this boy ever listen to the way this father-in-law talked about his motorhome? I spoke with him for 10 minutes to know he and his wife love their motorhome. He said it’s a luxury they never thought they could have! Bozo comes to mind for this son-in-law.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
When the 1st time they asked I said the only thing you can say if you wreck it or break something is "gee dad I'm sorry" and it's up to me to resolve whatever happened so "no" you can not borrow the RV until you can afford to replace it.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had to buy one to have one. If they want, can afford it, buy your own.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.I went against that and about 20 years ago I loaned my 5th wheel to my son and daughter-in-law .My DW was not happy. Of course He found a tree limb and tore the roof ! my son didn’t realize it at the time but our bedroom window looked down on the roof. I quietly fixed it and apologized to the DW
We see it as “our” place especially now after we spent 4 full time years in her . In fact if we need a guest bed for family at our winter home in Fl we give up our casta bedroom and move back into the motorhome..... happily! We know how things work, and frankly don’t want people especially family messing it up. How does the elect toilet work ? I didn’t know I shouldn’t flush that ! How do I get the ac to work? etc etc.
Bill

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
some insurance policies do not allow any drivers not listed on the policy