cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do lighter color 2003-2008 coaches also have paint checking?

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some beautiful 2003-2008 Travel Supreme, Monaco, Country Coach, etc., tag axle coaches out there painted in lighter colors. From my research it affects the darker color painted coaches. But what about the lighter colored ones? I understand that if there's a dark painted section, that part is susceptible to paint checking. But I've also seen some without darker sections. Are these units also prone to paint checking if subjected to hot sun? Where we live it gets up to 110F in the summers for days on end, for 2 to 3 months.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
11 REPLIES 11

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
The brown full body paint on my Camelot has crazing in the fiberglass as does the orange and copper color, but the lighter color doesn't. The orange and copper color paint has much less crazing than the brown. I've checked the temps on the paint with my IR thermometer and the dark paint is much hotter than the lighter colors. I apply the 10' rule when dealing with this crazing, i.e., if I can't notice it at 10' it's a non issue.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is coming up on 10 years old and no checking. We did have a spot above the door that the clear coat was coming off. While we were having some work done at Winnebago they took it over to CDI (the paint company of their coaches), and they fixed it. No charge, said they probably didn't prep that area right. Couldn't have been more pleased and it looks like the day it was made!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 sits outside in the sun in Southern California and has had no problem with paint checking or fading.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. The checking is definitely worse in the dark areas because the dark areas are hotter but it occurs in all the colors.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 00 Monaco is white with 2 darker shades - there is no paint checking

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 01 HR Imperial that most of it was dark blue and it was crazed. I have seen even older ones with crazing on the dark colors.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Even white. Doesn't have anything to do with color, it's the flexing all the time. The Gelcoat gets brittle and cracks and it 's crazing, not checking. I have been working Fiberglas for years and we use 3 coats of filler, 3 coats of Primer, and 3 coats of color followed by 1-3 coats of clear on a boat. It's tedious but when finished it looks like the paint is deep and if you add silver or gold metalflake to the middle coat it gives it more depth.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4GOFXkHX&id=A526E9AB0889338DFC10777621E9AC52E3E94262&thid=OIP.4GOFXkHXpVFXtvIypWKluQHaEL&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fi849.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fab57%2fhawkfan9%2f1993%2520Bass%2520Cat%2520Pantera%2520II%2fIMAG0426_zps6b9fda76.jpg&exph=577&expw=1024&q=Red+with+Silver+Flake+Paint&simid=608003625597995622&selectedIndex=15&ajaxhist=0

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
FormerBoater wrote:
Our Eagle is quite a bit older than what you are referencing, but is primarily full body paint white and both dark and light shades of teal.

No paint checking FWIW.

The problem only pertains to units made between 03 and 08 using a particular manufacturers fiberglass panels. Unfortunately ours is one of them.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Our Eagle is quite a bit older than what you are referencing, but is primarily full body paint white and both dark and light shades of teal.

No paint checking FWIW.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the answer is yes. Our full-body paint scheme consists of 2 lighter colors and one darker color (brown). The dark brown on the side which normally faces the sun while parked at home has the paint checking. As of yet, I haven't seen, or at least noticed, it on the lighter colors. But most likely, I'm assuming it'll just be a matter of time. I would also think the problem would be worse in sunnier and warmer climates. At least here in New England we have 3 months of darkness in the winter....or so it seems!!! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer is yes. Our coach has a lighter color in the paint scheme and has some checking in those areas. No where near as bad as the dark colors but there are some there.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"