cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnect my battery

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Honda CR my Toad,that battery goes dead after a few hours from my brake buddy,so I now have a marine battery in the front seat to run it,I am planning to disconnect the car battery so it won't go dead on me any more .
Will it hurt anything to do that on the car?
12 REPLIES 12

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your Brake Buddy should not be running down your battery. I've used a Brake Buddy for years with out a battery problem. Maybe your BB has an air leak, causing the compressor to run excessively. Does your CR-V have a navigation system and are you removing the necessary fuse? There is really no need to run a charge line if you find and fix what is draining your battery.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are driving for 8 hours or more, on freeways, with no stops, its highly unlikely you will over charge your toad battery without a regulator. Your MH charging circuit will take of that, or it should. A charge line will keep you from having to pull fuses or disconnecting the toad battery. Once installed, it should be trouble free for many years.
Wildmanbaker

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Easiest way to do what you want to do....Dennis

Where to buy it

+1 that's the answer
2009 Challenger

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the Cigar plug fussed wire to 12V live to MH. Use a 40 Amp fuse. You will be happier with a fully charged battery when you get there.

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
google toad charge by ISL products in Texas. easy install and no more dead batteries.
Blessings; Kdk
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
why not use the 8 pin trailer plug to feed power back to the cars system to keep it charged , one pin is setup for charging the trailer batterys when in tow.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easiest way to do what you want to do....Dennis

Where to buy it
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think disconnecting the battery will harm the car in any way. However, I have been told the computer will lose its memory and will have to relearn how you drive, which may take a few miles snd start/stop cycles.
I have noticed that my car and truck act a little different when I replace or have to disconnect the battery.
Cars can sit for a long time with a dead, or no battery and not hurt anything.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fused 12v source at the plug on my rv and it runs to the battery in my older crv to keep it fully charged.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
That's why we went with One of these.

Simplest system to use.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
The lights will work off the RV lights losing all the stuff is ok with me I just didnt know if it would hurt the car in any way?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It won't allow the car brake lights to activate. Not a problem if you use auxiliary brake lights and turn signals. It will mean that your vehicle ECM will have to reprogram itself each time after the battery is hooked up again. It may mean that you lose all saved radio stations.