cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diamond Shield question

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering a used Winnebago. The ad says it needs the 3M Diamond Shield removed from the front of the coach. What does that mean?
10 REPLIES 10

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
okhmbldr wrote:
Just a quick thought....instead of removing, why not have a sign shop apply a vinyl wrap over the old shield. You could have it printed any design or color to match. And, it would be much cheaper than removal and re-application of the shield material. Like I said, "just a quick thought".

I tried that and here's what they came up with....:B:B....Dennis

hahaha
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
okhmbldr wrote:
Just a quick thought....instead of removing, why not have a sign shop apply a vinyl wrap over the old shield. You could have it printed any design or color to match. And, it would be much cheaper than removal and re-application of the shield material. Like I said, "just a quick thought".

I tried that and here's what they came up with....:B:B....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
I will disagree with the group about having the film reapplied. Our coach was nine years old and the film on the front was cracked and moldy. After many tedious hours my wife and I removed it with only one rock chip remaining on the otherwise undamaged factory paint. Fast forward four years and at least twenty rockchips later I am second guessing my decision not to have it reapplied. We're looking at at least $1000 to get the front repainted which will undoubtably suffer the same fate. With the lifetime guarantees being offered for the newer films I would not dismiss the idea of replacing the film just because it was difficult to remove. It did do a great job.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I ahd ours removed for around $1200 if I recall. I would never put another one back on.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two kinds of shields used on motorhomes. They are a clear membrane material that protects the paint against rock chips etc. Diamond Shield is one and 3M makes the other. From what I've heard Diamond Shield protects better but is a lot harder to remove. There are tons of posts on this forum relative to removal. Lots of hard work and very very tedious. You can do it yourself if you have a lot of patience and a free weekend. As you remove it, it comes off in quarter sized pieces making the job irritating. But, if you like jigsaw puzzles, you might like removing it yourself. As posted above, I had estimates from $900 to $3000 to remove it. If you want it reinstalled, add another $1500. I would leave it off as the front cap is fiberglass and any good Corvette bodyman could fix any obnoxious rock chips for a lot less than $1500....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do not have to reapply it. If after you take it off the underlying paint looks good, then just wax it and move on. Sometimes when they take the stuff off, some paint may come with it resulting in a new paint job. If it were my decision anlone I would not have had it applied in the first place.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Probably means it will look like this.

Click For Full-Size Image.

The paint contractor for Winnebago in Forest City, IA removed mine for $150. I chose not to get a new shield applied.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
So, I assume this is a protective coating that not only needs to be removed, but re-applied?

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
It means a long, labor intensive task if you do it yourself or paying someone else about 1000 bucks to remove it.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.