cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DEF in the winter

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I purchased a new diesel motorhome in February. While it is our 5th diesel in 22 years, it is our first that uses DEF. Although it isn't critical to me, living in Florida, I am wondering what you northerners do in the winter, and likewise what I'll have to do if I travel north in sub-freezing temperatures.

How do you keep your DEF fluid from freezing in cold temperatures, both when it is sitting unused as well as when you are traveling?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Ed Headington
10 REPLIES 10

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
4X4 ORD - take a look at your warranty book - DEF tank (and heater as part of tank) should be covered under the emissions warranty which is longer than the regular vehicle warranty.
If the dealer is still trying to not cover - get a regional Mfr warranty rep to see if they will cover.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
mpierce wrote:
Sully2 wrote:
That DEF flat sucks...too high a freeze point so I guess the guys that live in ND are as they say SOL...

I live in ND. Have a '14 Dodge with DEF. NO PROBLEMS at all. You do understand from reading the material posted that heaters are installed?

My 2011 has DEF and it just so happens that now that the warranty is up my check engine light came on indicating my first problem with the truck. The code indicates that the DEF tank heater is caput. I need to replace the entire DEF tank....I think they told me $500 for the part plus labor if I have the dealer install it. I might ignore it just to see what happens once the freezing temperatures hit.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
That DEF flat sucks...too high a freeze point so I guess the guys that live in ND are as they say SOL...

I live in ND. Have a '14 Dodge with DEF. NO PROBLEMS at all. You do understand from reading the material posted that heaters are installed?

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:

Guess you overlooked this statement:

Q.
How do I keep the DEF from freezing? What happens if the DEF freezes
in the tank on the vehicle?
A.
During vehicle operation, SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the
vehicle is shut down, start up and normal operation of the vehicle will notbe inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form and the operation of the vehicle will not be impacted. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause
degradation of the product.

I guess there must not be any newer diesel trucks in N. Dakota.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Sure is, and I guess if anyone does, Cummins ought to know what they are talking about!:)

Ed

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Good Link!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Read all about it HERE

Thanks Old Biscuit, I never knew I had questions until I opened that link. That answered everything!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. That answered all of my questions. I should have gone to Cummins myself. Duh!!:B

Thanks again,
Ed Headington

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read all about it HERE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31