cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DEF (diesel exhaust fluid)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have to buy DEF often as we have a 16 gallon tank (235 gallon fuel tank).

I want to ask those of you who buy DEF at the truck island, do you find that the fuel handle constantly cuts off? It will allow me to put in about 3/10's of a gallon then cut off. Sometimes the handle won't allow me to start after 5-6 clicks. I have to repeat and repeat until it's full.

This has been my experience since I started buying DEF, doesn't matter which fuel station. I just want to know if it's just me or are these fuel pumps quirky.

(please, hold your comments that you are glad that you don't have to buy DEF) Thanks

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins
26 REPLIES 26

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
The Webasto is for the interior heating of the antifreeze that runs through the house system through the heating vents along with the hot water tank, which is also electric. We have a separate electric tankless water heater for the shower.

The Webasto is located above the rear and tag axle. A fender has to be removed for servicing so I will never be involved! LOL!

Our previous Aqua Hot was an all-in-one system for house heating and for hot water (which also had an electric feature).

To me, the advantage of the Aqua-Hot is that you don't need a 20 gallon hot water tank like we have. It is what it is, I'm sure that they have their reasons for using this system. It's funny, the more entry level Prevost coaches like Royale and Country coach conversion used Aqua-Hot, but the more upper level converters used Webasto which seems like a lessor system to me.
What are some details on that tankless water heater? Manufacturer, part/style number, website, if you'd happen to have them too. That would come in handy for localized hot water production - especially in a large rig.

SRJ, I'm away from the coach for three weeks. If I can find the info I'll post it once I'm back at the coach.

Small correction, our heating system is called an 'Espar' which IS or like a Webasto.

MM.
Mr.Mark

Doctor_DEF
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don: Thanks for the mention of Five Star DEF. We're busier than ever making DEFJUGs and DEF Magnevators and have had a great year selling on our website and on eBay. I spend much less time on forums and more time making our products.

To anyone experiencing issues with the magnetic interlocked DEF nozzles: Our DEF Magnevator and DEF Magnevator II are guaranteed to operate these nozzles and make it much easier to use the pumps.

Got any questions about DEF?? I'll try to answer them.

Erich

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
The Webasto is for the interior heating of the antifreeze that runs through the house system through the heating vents along with the hot water tank, which is also electric. We have a separate electric tankless water heater for the shower.

The Webasto is located above the rear and tag axle. A fender has to be removed for servicing so I will never be involved! LOL!

Our previous Aqua Hot was an all-in-one system for house heating and for hot water (which also had an electric feature).

To me, the advantage of the Aqua-Hot is that you don't need a 20 gallon hot water tank like we have. It is what it is, I'm sure that they have their reasons for using this system. It's funny, the more entry level Prevost coaches like Royale and Country coach conversion used Aqua-Hot, but the more upper level converters used Webasto which seems like a lessor system to me.
What are some details on that tankless water heater? Manufacturer, part/style number, website, if you'd happen to have them too. That would come in handy for localized hot water production - especially in a large rig.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
Most of the trip was driving 65 mph, 6.2 mpg. I also ran the Webasto this morning for a couple of hours to exercise it.
How is the Webasto different from the Oasis or Aqua Hot? Is yours mounted outside your coach on the underside?

MM.
Mr.Mark

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Most of the trip was driving 65 mph, 6.2 mpg. I also ran the Webasto this morning for a couple of hours to exercise it.
How is the Webasto different from the Oasis or Aqua Hot? Is yours mounted outside your coach on the underside?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Filled up again this afternoon after driving 1,020 miles on 165 gallons of diesel. The DEF tank that I filled the other day, the needle has just started to move a little (1/8 inch).

MM.
Mr.Mark

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Holstein13,

Yep, I like to live on the edge. Ha ha!

Our fillers are very high up, at my upper chest. It did fill faster but not lightening fast. Normally, using one nozzle is fine.

I thought using two fillers at once would make the numbers spin like a slot machine, but not the case.

MM.
Mr.Mark

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

The other day was the first time that I filled on both sides at the same time. Never did that on the other coach. I was fairly low on diesel and wanted to fill faster.

I guess I was concerned that one nozzle might push fuel out the other side. Just before the tank was full, as I had an idea how much fuel I was needing, I turn off the satellite pump and continued with the main pump. No fuel spilled.
My goodness, you are adventurous. How long did it take to fill? I did fill from the passenger side one time but that was because the pump was on that side.

If my 200 gallon tanks are very low, I'll just clean my windshield while waiting. The diesel pumps are so fast that I've never had to wait too long.
`

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Holstein13, LOL, that might be an option!!!

The other day was the first time that I filled on both sides at the same time. Never did that on the other coach. I was fairly low on diesel and wanted to fill faster.

I guess I was concerned that one nozzle might push fuel out the other side. Just before the tank was full, as I had an idea how much fuel I was needing, I turn off the satellite pump and continued with the main pump. No fuel spilled.

I didn't know that the DEF tank had an overflow tube. The filler is on the driver's side and the overflow tube exits on the passenger side under the coach. As I mentioned, it was hard to know if the little tank was fuel as it kept clicking off from the start.

MM.
Mr.Mark

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I fill into a plastic 5 gallon container (and walk it around to the right side) so no magnetic problems for me. If I hold the nozzle full open when I start to pump, it clicks off. I solve this by starting very slowly then proceeding to the full open position. I'll let you borrow my 5 gallon container if you'd like to try that method. ๐Ÿ˜‰
`

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
There was a gentleman on another forum that decided to get involved in the DEF market and was very knowledgeable. He was always online answering questions. I initially bought a couple of his 2.5 gallon DEF containers, but just haven't had the opportunity or need to store that much DEF while on the road. He later came out with the magnetic collar. Being a gadget guy, I figured I might just need one at some point. Magnetic Collar

I asked him if a test strip could be produced, like the coolant strips, so that questionable DEF purchased off the shelf could be quickly tested. (I got a box of DEF from Walmart that had been used and refilled with water). He said that a strip really couldn't be used, but if the DEF is questionable, drop a small amount on the ground or piece of cardboard. It should turn to crystal like you see at the pumps.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Sooboy wrote:
I have a similar experience, but I find that filling the tank slower helps.
This has been my experience also.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
This is the magnetic thingy you guys are talking about?

magnetic collar
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
raygreg wrote:
I have found that the pumps that shut off every 10th of a gallon or so need a magnetic collar put onto the pump nozzle. I have also found that most of the people working at these fueling stations do not know what I am asking them for. One of the cashiers finally asked me if I wanted the "spacer" for the DEF pump. The spacer was actually the magnetic collar.

I'll ask them next time about that 'spacer'. Thanks for the suggestion.

MM.
Mr.Mark