cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Damage done by squirrels

Williamh
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I noticed that on the top of the engine on my pickup truck that there had been some knawing on a wire connecting to the emissions. It cost me $433 to correct the damage. I am afraid that these squirrels will do damage to the wiring on my motorhome if they haven't already. I honestly don't know if they have or not, but I am asking for any suggestions on how to get rid of them other than shoot the. That is almost out beacause of my neighborhood homes being so close together. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

William
27 REPLIES 27

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I boondock most of the year and there are times that I don't start my truck for over a week and one day I noticed that the little mouse gremlins were making a nest in the engine valley. I did a lot of internet research and came up with Fresh Cab which I put a packet in the engine valley and replace the pouch every couple of months and I also use Peppermint Oil that I put a couple of drops on a cotton ball and stick in the engine compartment by wedging in some of the tight spaces to hold the cotton ball in place. I use about 6 cotton balls and re-scent with the peppermint oil every month.

So far, after two years of using these methods, they have worked good . If I find some mouse or vermin evidence I will put out some mouse traps with some peanut butter for a few weeks.

I hope you find a method that works for you because those little critters can cause a lot of damage at the most inopportune times.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You MAY find that any damage is covered by your Comprehensive portion of your vehicle insurance policy. Allstate

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Anyone know the approximate date the manufacturers started using soy based wiring?

I notice that in 1985 new vehicle that came in, the desert mouse started eating the cover. The older vehicle setting next to it they did not touch.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know the approximate date the manufacturers started using soy based wiring?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Have a havahart and ears of corn. Haul them off to a nice new area.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
A few weeks after buying a new Toyoto Tundra, one morning it would not start. Had it towed to Toyota dealership and later received a call from the mechanic saying that a rat (rat was still under the hood) had chewed through the main wiring harness. Cost of $3,500!! But, to my pleasant surprise, my homeowners policy covered the cost because the truck was parked on my property. Who knew?? Now, I keep mothballs and dryer sheets in each of the MH basement compartments and in and around the motors of both the MH and Toyota. So far, so good (probably shouldn't have said that!)

As a former Ins adjuster, I'd say you really lucked out because I can't imagine many home owners policies that would cover this. Maybe the comprehensive part on your auto insurance, but most homeowners policies specifically exclude any coverage at all for any type of vehicle. Keep that policy!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
well Im down to my 1100 ft per second pellet gun with a fairly decent scope. deadly at up to 30 yards. Neighbors dont hear it so good. the best one I had was an electric bird feeder. That would light em up good. I wired two small transformers that each were capable of boosting 120 volts to 480. in series it would just under a 1000 volts. the bird feeder had a mesh mat with a mesh cage around it, isolated from each of course. never left it hot all the time. I wired it to switch in the house. MY wife thought it was inhumane and I had to agree. They would catch on fire. One time one fell out of the feeder and caught the leaves on fore and almost burnt up my deck
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
Angry man pee.....Just cover everything in your RV with it. Now understand this takes a few weeks unless you are able to buy it in bulk.

Don't settle for the cheap Chinese stuff, quality redneck pee I read is the best.

I make myself laugh....... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Send me some beer money and I'll make as much as you need. ๐Ÿ™‚
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
youngone wrote:
Bobcat pee for mice and fox pee for chipmunks and squirrels. Look it up at predatorpee.com

Thx for sharing the website. I will son be a custormer.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
A few weeks after buying a new Toyoto Tundra, one morning it would not start. Had it towed to Toyota dealership and later received a call from the mechanic saying that a rat (rat was still under the hood) had chewed through the main wiring harness. Cost of $3,500!! But, to my pleasant surprise, my homeowners policy covered the cost because the truck was parked on my property. Who knew?? Now, I keep mothballs and dryer sheets in each of the MH basement compartments and in and around the motors of both the MH and Toyota. So far, so good (probably shouldn't have said that!)
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Angry man pee.....Just cover everything in your RV with it. Now understand this takes a few weeks unless you are able to buy it in bulk.

Don't settle for the cheap Chinese stuff, quality redneck pee I read is the best.

I make myself laugh....... ๐Ÿ˜‰
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
They are a nightmare. Rat poison has been working for me. They have chewed wires a couple of times and ate through the insulation on my fridge then chewed into the freezer compartment. I also covered the fridge roof vent with aluminum wire to keep them out of that compartment.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
Bobcat pee for mice and fox pee for chipmunks and squirrels. Look it up at predatorpee.com

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I had squirrels get into my genset and chew up wires and the wiring harness to the cost of over $1,000.00 what I had to do is buy double 00 steel wool and put it all around my genset and I no longer had any problems since. I bought the steel wool at Lowes it was very inexpensive. I also went thru the inside of my coach pulled out drawers and put that steel wool in any runways or hiding places. I no longer have mice either!