cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contemplating Class A from fifth wheel

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
The Wife and I have been looking at upgrading our fifth. The choices we have are larger fifth, bigger truck or Class A.

By the time we add together the price of a newer fifth and newer dually truck we are into it for quite a bit of money. So I started looking at used Class A's, mainly ones based on freightliner chassis. I have some questions, probably not even limited to the few I spit out here.

We Live in Canada but are both retiring soon (<5 years). We plan to travel to and from the US and pretty much Full time in our newer home. If you know the answers to the questions please post, but try keeping it specific to a Canadian licensed driver and plated vehicle.

I'll start with a few basic ones on the vehicle.

1. What are the weights of 39 foot Class A's that are based on Freightliner chassis?

2. What drivers licenses do you need and/or certifications.

3. What are the registration fees for the vehicles?

4. What to look out for when looking at a Class A?

Thanks
2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 L CTD, pull rite super glide 2700, load lifter 5000
2005 Carriage Cameo 27RKS, more ryde suspension
9 REPLIES 9

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Tuzlo wrote:
The Wife and I have been looking at upgrading our fifth. The choices we have are larger fifth, bigger truck or Class A.

By the time we add together the price of a newer fifth and newer dually truck we are into it for quite a bit of money. So I started looking at used Class A's, mainly ones based on freightliner chassis. I have some questions, probably not even limited to the few I spit out here.

We Live in Canada but are both retiring soon (<5 years). We plan to travel to and from the US and pretty much Full time in our newer home. If you know the answers to the questions please post, but try keeping it specific to a Canadian licensed driver and plated vehicle.

1. What are the weights of 39 foot Class A's that are based on Freightliner chassis?

2. What drivers licenses do you need and/or certifications.

3. What are the registration fees for the vehicles?

4. What to look out for when looking at a Class A?

Thanks
#1. I don't know what a Freightliner Chassis weighs? #2. When driving in Washington State all you need is a regular drivers license! #3. In Washington State it's a little over $100.00 #4. Price, I set a price according to my budget and stick to it no matter what! Next, I look for a floor plan that suits my needs. Then engine, then colors!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Tuzlo wrote:
By freightliner, I meant chassis, I believe even freightliners come with cummins engine, forgive me if im incorrect I know absolutely nothing about Class A's.

Sorry, I meant we had Spartan chassis. We had Cummins engine.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fleetwood Discovery which is 39 ft long with a full slide and fully loaded with fuel, LP, no water came in under 28,000 lbs. I think we had every cupboard, nook, and crannie packed with something. It has a Freightliner chassis with C7 Cat diesel.;)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
luvlabs wrote:

2. What drivers licenses do you need and/or certifications. Not sure about Canada but in the US, anything over 26,000 lbs requires a Class A, non-commercial license. In Canada, you will at least need an air-brake certification.

In the US, this varies from state to state, and depends on what state you're a resident of. Many states (including mine) do not require any special license for any RV, regardless of size. Others have licensing classes that parallel the federal commercial driver's license classes (which is basically what luvlabs is describing). A few have entirely different categories.

Every state does recognize the licenses of the other states, though, so if you're legally licensed to drive the vehicle according to your home state, it applies throughout the country.

None of this is particularly pertinent to a Canadian citizen, of course.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are other chassis mfg just as good if not better than Freightliner. I don't think I would limit myself to the chassis mfg.

Weight depends upon many things. Slides, tags, appliances, tires.... A 39 footer will probably NOT have a tag axle (altho those will make a huge difference in weight caring capability and highway control manners). As mentioned I would guess 30K on the low side and 40k on the high side.

Driver's license depends upon where you are residing (home address). Don't know about Canada, but in the US, license from one state is good in any other.

Again, registration fees depends upon where you register it.

During inspection of every possible one you look at:
Inspect ceiling and walls for any water marks from a leaking ceiling or window.
Check date codes on the tires....typically 6 to 7 years is pretty much max.
Look for any maintenance records that the previous owner provided...especially for the engine.
Make sure all electrical/electronic items work perfectly including AC's, heaters, and water heater.
If it has Norcold or Dometic refrigerator, make sure all recalls have been performed.
Run the slides in and out, also run the leveling jacks up and down.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Tuzlo wrote:

1. What are the weights of 39 foot Class A's that are based on Freightliner chassis? At least 30,000 lbs and getting close to 40,000 labs depending on length and how it is loaded.

2. What drivers licenses do you need and/or certifications. Not sure about Canada but in the US, anything over 26,000 lbs requires a Class A, non-commercial license. In Canada, you will at least need an air-brake certification.

3. What are the registration fees for the vehicles? You will have to register it in Canada unless you are a legal US resident. The it varies by state of registration.

4. What to look out for when looking at a Class A? Manufacturer and then floorplan.

Thanks
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Until recently I, too, was looking at moving to a Class A. I did lots of research and ruled out those with a gas engine (no power, rough ride). The Diesel pushers are the way to go, for me, for full-timing (lots of power, airbag ride).

The better manufactures, in my price range (used), were Newmar, Tiffin, and Monaco. That's just my opinion. I would get at least an ISC engine and prefer the ISL. Both have loads of torque, which is what gets you up the mountain roads.

But times change and I'll be keeping my toy hauler for a while.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
By freightliner, I meant chassis, I believe even freightliners come with cummins engine, forgive me if im incorrect I know absolutely nothing about Class A's.
2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 L CTD, pull rite super glide 2700, load lifter 5000
2005 Carriage Cameo 27RKS, more ryde suspension

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
1. Why only a Freightliner? We had great success with our Cummins. Weights will vary and how many slides you get will affect weight also. Go online to some manufacturers you're interested in and pick a floorplan you'd want then look at the spec page and find the weight.

2/3 It depends where you're registering it.

4. Look out for the beautiful scenery views through your windshield!

Also, select your manufacturer carefully. You might want to buy one that's a couple years old to get a better price for a quality manufacturer.

Side radiators are preferred.

Access to get to the kitchen and bathroom if the slides are closed. When traveling you'll want to use these things easily without having to open the slides.

If you enjoy dry camping a lot in a forest setting then you might want to minimize the number of slides you have to maneuver between trees. We purposely chose only two slides and both on the same side.

I'd recommend choosing the quality manufacturer first and then choose the floorplan from what they have to offer. The perfect floorplan will do no good if the RV falls apart around it.

Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel