cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Condensation

BDersham
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2014 Itasca Ellipse and currently in Carlisle, PA for the winter. Am experiencing condensation in the cabinets that are contained within the slide outs and looking for suggestions on how best to resolve this. Have opened doors, does help but not totally resolved.
Bob Dersham
RED@Dersham.com
10 REPLIES 10

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
My in-laws lived in their MH in the Seattle area over one winter. Condensation was a constant issue. They kept sponges in the window channels and they would squeeze out daily. They kept it heated opened windows. They ran fans and didn't cook anything that made steam (had a house kitchen to use).
There just wasn't any way to keep it dry inside.
They never wintered here again.

If they purchased a simple dehumidifier about 30 pint capacity likely would have had zero issues!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My in-laws lived in their MH in the Seattle area over one winter. Condensation was a constant issue. They kept sponges in the window channels and they would squeeze out daily. They kept it heated opened windows. They ran fans and didn't cook anything that made steam (had a house kitchen to use).
There just wasn't any way to keep it dry inside.
They never wintered here again.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This topic comes up frequently at this time of year. Search this Forum for previous posts/ideas.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
You need to warm the air and keep it moving. Also a couple of new vent holes top and bottom if you are going to close the doors.

This keeps my boots and everything in our double closet warm and condensation free.. Also the three cabinets above due to the new vents in the shelf and top and bottom frame.

"Closet heater with fan"

I used 2 in plastic round soffit vents painted to match. Any of these will do:
Soffit Vents
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Our hybrid TT of 15 years built up lots of condensation during winter camping. Seemed unavoidable until I started using a water collecting dehumidifier. Now we have virtually zero condensation. In fact we can dry wet clothing over night simply by hanging it in the bathroom. We have collected two gallons of water from the air in 12 hours. If you have shore power this is the way to go
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Heat it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Buckets of Damp-Rid inside those cabinets are the only thing I would think would work if you keep the doors closed to them.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to be there for the whole winter, a small dehumidifier would work, but like Ductape says you need ventilation.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Monaco, they used fiberglass batt insulation over the cabinets in the front end. This insulation had sagged/slipped to the point where it left areas of the front cab without insulation and we picked up quite a bit of condensation. If your condensation is caused by the same issue of shifting, or inadequate insulation, the only fix is to put some type of insulation that will not shift. I bought the two part spray foam insulation on eBay , removed the cabinets, and sprayed the inside of the front cap. This worked great but was not the easiest thing to do.
You may be able to remove your cabinets and glue on styrofoam or some other type of insulation. I'm not aware of anyother way to fix a condensation issue.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Are you leaving a roof vent or a window open for air exchange and humidity control?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...