cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clearance Lights Leaking -Thank you For the Tip.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave mentioned leaking clearance lights in another thread. Thanks to that tip, I was able to locate a mystery leak in our C at the back. I was running out of Eternabond sealing everything above there to no avail. Gottaluv this forum for good tips! Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
14 REPLIES 14

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Their seals leave a lot to be desired, but at least the newer styles are using a foam seal instead of butyl tape & caulking...

The problem is the assembly. I got to looking at one of my rear clearance lamps, and discovered:

(look closely at the bottom edge)

(keep looking....)

And this is how it wasn't sealed:

And I'd been spraying water up that direction for 2 1/2 years... fortunately the wiring feeds into a horizontal aluminum square-wall framing member. Who knows how much water migrated in, but so far I've never seen any damage as a result.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Stop using caulk. I sealed all of mine with a good quality butyl take and trimmed off the excess. Can't see it and no leaks in over 2 years. Chuck

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Easiest solution to leaking clearance lights I know of is replace them all with sealed LED lights.

This is a great idea. With the bulb type lights, their so close to the plastic, that the heat breaks down the plastic and it cracks. I bought new aftermarket LED cab lights that are much higher quality.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Why O why do the lite mfg,s not include a rubber seal? Too cheap I guess. We all know this is a leak point.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I have always removed them, put plumber's putty on the back and replaced, tighten down and clear off the excess, same as setting a sink strainer.

Never had a leak afterward.

If the kitchen sink in a home can go decades without the putty failing it stands to reason works as well on a clearance light. The kitchen gets multiple daily cycles of hot soapy water through it and holds up quite well.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Easiest solution to leaking clearance lights I know of is replace them all with sealed LED lights.

As mentioned, clearance lights can have water leaks from two sources, external and internal. Replacing them with sealed LEDs only solves the internal leaks. The sealed LED still has to be mounted and wired to the RV and it's through those penetration points, water can enter the RV through a failed seal.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Great topic, thanks to all. I started to replace my clearance lights with LED ones last summer after one got cracked but only did two of them. The tips on caulking are very much appreciated.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:

You still have to somehow seal the sealed light against the maybe slightly flexible non-metal surface with a hole in it that is behind each light so as to never leak in the worst case scenario of driving into highway speed wind in maybe pouring wind-blown rain.

My clearance lights no longer work - but are still there - because I years ago covered each light's hole in their fiberglass mounting surface with a round piece of Eternabond.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Many class C units have phanthom leaks that the owners go nuts looking for and it turns out to be either loose clearence units or bad caulking or cracked lenses or improperly installed new lenses, I had one instance of a leak and remembered that we had a bird strike the day before, climbed to check and did not notice anything wrong until I started phisically trying to wiggle the units and found the center one cracked and that allowed water to get inside the unit and throug the cable hole, used awning tape as a stop gap until I replaced all the marquer lights with new ones a few days latter, so do check those lights they also deteriorate with the sunlight and time.

navegator

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
A tip from my boating days... When you are attempting to seal anything keep in mind that the caulk product is there to form a gasket not to glue things down. You should apply the caulk and lightly tighten the screws/bolts etc., and then let it cure for 24 hours. Then after it has cured tighten everything down.

If you apply and then tighten you merely squeeze the caulk out from where it needs to be.
By waiting until the new "gasket" has cured before torquing down the fasteners you get a long-lasting watertight seal.

:C

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to seal the lights without any sealant being visible. Remove the lights and seal under them. Wipe away any excess that squeezes out.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
glad you found it!
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One of the first things I did when I took possession of our RV is to caulk the top and sides of all of the clearance lights. That stopped the leaks but now all of the caulk is an ugly black and won't clean off. I wonder what paint would stick?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)