cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C that's easy to fix?

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
I am DIY person and looking for a class C that's easy to fix, by that I mean it has a truck-like, easily accessible engine bay. Think F250 engine bay and you got it. I had an older F250HD and everything was accessible, spark plugs were no issue at all. One could do water pump, belts, mostly anything. Now I never got inside the motor nor did any tranny work. I mean situations where the radiator hose bursts in the middle of nowhere, or a belt.

I get concerned about these van-type designs where repairs become considerably more difficult. As half the engine is not accessible.
41 REPLIES 41

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I can tell you from personal experience Ron is right especially in the summer when everyone is traveling and away from major cities. I broke down in MT in July 3 years ago and had to wait until Nov to drive the MH home. But as far as maintenance for a DYI person I think a Class A is easier to work on. So the trade off is ease of maintenance vs finding a shop that wants to do chassis work on large MH's. I think with a short C you have a better chance at finding a shop with a lift to do chassis work.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with a class A is that shops don't want to work on them. If you get stranded out in the middle of nowhere USA, your towing fee could be extremely expensive and your down time tragic. The Ford E350/E450 and the Chevy 3500/4500 cut-away chassis are most apt to be taken care by shops because the chassis is very common and they can follow their shop software with no timely surprises.

I recall reading some years ago, one class A gasser required the removal of the entire face of the motorhome (windshield and all) to replace certain components. Think about that one.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Class A is easier for maintenance. I can change spark plugs, wires, air filter, brake fluid and timing all with the dog house cover removed. There is enough room under the chassis to change oil, trans fluid and differential fluid without using the hyd jacks. I do use the hyd jacks to get to the drive shaft, muffler/ pipe changes, brakes and wheel bearings. If size is not an issue and you are looking at 28 ft or larger MH I would go with a Class A. If they made a 24 ft Class A I would stay with the A but the don't.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go et cetera.

A V8, likely a GM.

Here is a V10 engine, 99% sure it's a Ford

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
. . .

I've owned 2 class C's, both on E350 chassis, and they were both a nightmare to work on. . . . .

Working on MY class A (Workhorse chassis) on the other hand, is like stretching out in a large open air garage. The easily removed doghouse (one quarter-turn allen bolt) exposes the entire top of the engine from just behind the radiator to the trans, and both sides are fully accessible from the large wheel wells without even removing a tire; all sparkplugs and coils are easily visible and accessible, as are all of the exhaust manifold studs. The entire floor is above the engine, not at the mid-engine level. Oil change? I can literally sit nearly upright underneath with full access to the drain plug and filter, as there is no other "stuff" closely surrounding the engine/trans and the floor is higher than the C. Belts and hoses are a bit of a pain, but certainly not much worse than my class Cs.

Obviously, some class A's may be worse, but all class C's have tight working space around the drivetrain. The same blanket statement cannot be made about class A's.

Do you have any pics or a link? Tried searching and none came up.
I want to visualize this. As I am considering that model based on your description.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
pnichols brings up a very valid point that we lived with for 24 years with our first motorhome SHOWN HERE. If you scroll thru the pictures, you will see where the manual gear shifter was located. Talk about being a contortionist. We had no concerns getting between the cab and house when we bought the rig at age 25, but were so tired of the struggle during our later years.

In the E350/E450, people complain about the difficulties getting from the driver seat to the house interior and back again. I say "Ha, ha, what difficulty?". I have no trouble at all.

I realize a full size pickup cab does not compare to what we managed with for all those years, but is still a lot to deal with compared to a van cab. Between that and sacrificing so much "house" in the overall length, a pickup cab would never be a consideration for us. I'll take the van cab benefits over "repair convenience" of a pickup cab. If we were shopping for a new class C, we would simply page past on-line, or walk past in-person over every pickup cab.

Looking at that picture higher up of a pickup cab lifted off the frame to work on it's diesel engine, leaves me to question the benefit even further. That is not even an option with a motorhome.

With the 22R engine my guess is that vehicle is still moving down the road.
Secondly, if that were mine the license plate would be "jetsons". what a great looking rig.
Our little old Toyota/Mirage just might still be. If would be interesting to run a CarFax report on the VIN to see if it's still alive. Other than the interior fabric and carpet, that rig was in excellent condition 14 years ago when we sold it.

I still get inquiries about it from my flickr pictures and my write-up posted inside it with it's history.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
pnichols brings up a very valid point that we lived with for 24 years with our first motorhome SHOWN HERE. If you scroll thru the pictures, you will see where the manual gear shifter was located. Talk about being a contortionist. We had no concerns getting between the cab and house when we bought the rig at age 25, but were so tired of the struggle during our later years.

In the E350/E450, people complain about the difficulties getting from the driver seat to the house interior and back again. I say "Ha, ha, what difficulty?". I have no trouble at all.

I realize a full size pickup cab does not compare to what we managed with for all those years, but is still a lot to deal with compared to a van cab. Between that and sacrificing so much "house" in the overall length, a pickup cab would never be a consideration for us. I'll take the van cab benefits over "repair convenience" of a pickup cab. If we were shopping for a new class C, we would simply page past on-line, or walk past in-person over every pickup cab.

Looking at that picture higher up of a pickup cab lifted off the frame to work on it's diesel engine, leaves me to question the benefit even further. That is not even an option with a motorhome.

With the 22R engine my guess is that vehicle is still moving down the road.Secondly, if that were mine the license plate would be "jetsons". what a great looking rig.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
et cetera wrote:
I see your point.
Still, I would like to know the answer to my question above.

The answer to your question is no,that model was dis continued by Cruse America with the last ones sold in 2003 as a Majestic,their refurbished Former Rental
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
I see your point.
Still, I would like to know the answer to my question above.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
et cetera wrote:
Here is a class C built on a F350 chassic. Not E350. Looks interesting.

2003 Majestic. I assume Four Winds?

Have they made that model beyond 2003?

https://www.usedvictoria.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=33064777&position=2&hb=6

That style of Class C in the link above may make it a bit easier to work on the truck engine ... but when camped how does the driver and/or passenger swing slightly into any area between the two cab seats with their feet and then stand up so as to be able to walk back direcly into the coach without leaving the RV?

That is one of the great things about a van body being used for a Class C with the cab's roof cut away under the cabover and the cabover bed folded away -> being able to rise and go back into the coach directly from the cab. This arrangement even permits the passenger to carefully and occasionally while traveling go back and get something in the coach or go back to the bathroom.

Being able to do the above is priceless to us in our van chassis based Class C.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a class C built on a F350 chassic. Not E350. Looks interesting.

2003 Majestic. I assume Four Winds?

Have they made that model beyond 2003?

https://www.usedvictoria.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=33064777&position=2&hb=6

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
This looks interesting. More cost effective than Tiger Adventure vehicles.

https://revcontrailblazer.com/listings/trailblazer/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
I think et left the building.

Yep, possibly ... for some folks enough knowledge is enough, and for others all the knowledge they can get is their goal. :C
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C