Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C 1994 with e350 chassis exhaust manifold glowing red

jcb47769
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone seen anything like this?

It's not a clogged catalytic converter, and I've replaced the PCV valve recently.

Exhaust manifold glows under heavy load (hills and over 55)

I found a small exhaust leak in the manifold gasket, thinking about sealing it with exhaust repair epoxy instead of risking the rusty bolts holding on the manifold.
17 REPLIES 17

Llibnmap
Explorer
Explorer
IMO if mainfolds are glowing red it's running way too rich! Either that or the exhaust is clogged. Just my thinking

Bill

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I"ve seen that in my 1989 E350 that also got the tail pipe beet red and blistered the paint on the side of my rv. Problem? The O2 sensors were bad which caused the gas to flow heavily into the catalytic converter and finally caused the internal portions to fall apart and plug up. Result was lack of power and 4mpg.

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
Normal. Be sure its the gasket and not a cracked exhaust manifold. Cracked manifold very common for a 460. Usually passenger side rear.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.