cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Gassers and The General Quality of Products

vfrmarc
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, this could be a loaded question.

We are selling our 5th wheel and coming back to a Class A. Haven't purchased yet, still looking will be a gasser this time. My question is we had a Tiffin before (FRED). Not perfect, but basically a good quality motor home.

I have been limiting myself to considering Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago. But wondering if I should give the resurrected manufacturers and the older poorer quality manufacturers a good look this time?

Looking for something with newer Ford V10 w/6spd tranny.
27 REPLIES 27

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that ALL (just about) Class A brands that make Gassers Use the F-53 chassis and a V10 Triton 6.8L engine. In 2004 the came out with the 3 phase which will eventully phase out the 2 phase SOHC.
So if you're looking for a Gasser Class A The Above is what you're gonna get. I looked for The Chevy 8.1 v8 in a class A but had no luck. in 2015 word had it that Workhorse (which used Chevy motors) was re-entering the RV market, but it's been almost 3 yrs. Has anyone seen any class A's from workhorse? maybe in 2 yrs. Anyway that's my take.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I will stick with my Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 06 bought new, not very many problems at all. Most small stuff took care of my self. They all make good ones and bad ones, it is how they take care of the problems that count!!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Sumo's going on the 2016 38Q Winnebago Suncruiser/Adventurer next week. I love the coach and want the best ride and handling and roads seem to be getting worse in the tundra.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at many - Winnebago seemed to match our preferences and after learning a little about the company that was all the DW wanted to look at. Ours has been great, and after coming from a 5er I have no complaints about build or quality, this thing is a rock.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

TomfromNC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I'm on my fourth Winnebago and really like them. My first 2 were Class c's and were on Ford chassis plus were both good. My first Class A was a 2004 Adventurer and it was a fine coach and we loved the floor plan and the quality even though we had a problem with the workhorse chassis. I now have a 2014 Adventurer and really like the handling and the quality of the coach. Yes they have had problems with Schwintek but WBGO has been making good on repairing them even though not in warranty. My full wall slide was repaired at the Factory and all is well.
I would personally recommend a Winnebago product and the company is there for you. Also they manufacture most of their own components other than appliances, televisions, etc. so if you have an older WBGO and need say a fresh water tank, they have it. Their driver/passenger cage is steel and not wood. When in doubt go to the factory in Forest City, Iowa and take the factory tour.
Good Luck!
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35p
2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
2011 Ford Escape Limited
Have a Great Day and take time to smell the roses!

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
DW & I have been full timing in a 99 Winnebago Adventurer for over 2 years & have had no problems with it. There are some good older coaches out there if you look for them. :C

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
Very happy with our 3.5 year old Tiffin 36LA. Not one trip back to dealer as any parts that stopped working or were faulty were delivered to our door so I could repair. Just back from Tiffin factory for some body repairs which were all done to my satisfaction at no charge.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago is doing a 3yr warranty on diesel pushers delivered by August 31st....
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Monty-Rob
Explorer
Explorer
I hear Winnebago is offering a 3 year warranty.

personally like Tiffin....went on factory tour this past March....currently looking at Phaeton
2014 Lifestyle 37CKLS (Sold January 2018)
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat (Sold January 2018)
2012 Started fulltiming on February 1st (stopped fulltiming December 21, 2017)

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Looking back, I have had a Fleetwood Discovery since 2008. I have had more issues with the Freightliner chassis then I have had with the coach itself. Don't know about their gas models. I probably will get flamed for this as there seems to be some Fleetwood haters on this site.`:)

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
RV industry is on fire right now, I think all manufacturers are pushing product as fast as they can, quality of construction has take a little bit of a hit industry wide IMO.

I just purchased a 2017 Thor Miramar Class-A. VERY happy with the Ford F53...decent ride, good power, great transmission (when compared to older version).

It has had a good list of things to fix as noted during PDI and after first "test-trip". selling dealership has been excellent thus far repairing or replacing anything noted. I think the DEALERSHIP you purchase from should be your 2nd highest priority AFTER you determine Manufacturer/Model.

From my limited experience and observations, all new units will have some "issues" to varying degrees, its the response from the dealer/manufacturer once they are known that seems to be the determining factor in purchasers satisfaction with their individual unit.

For us, our priorities were CHASSIS/FLOORPLAN and then MANUFACTURER/DEALER.

If Tiffin, Newmar, or Winnebago had offered a floorplan we liked better than the Miramar 35.2, we would have gone for that. We are VERY happy with the floorplan we have, LOVE IT!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
DryCreek wrote:
It seems to me that I see more and more complaints about build quality on new units here lately.
If you had to pick a year for finding the latest model - but before the quality deteriorated, what year (or year span )would you guys choose? It becomes a trade off, I know. As time passes new ideas and equipment are utilized throughout the industry. So, what years offer the best "new" features, and still retain the best build quality - with "best" build quality being entirely subjective, I know.

I will start off by saying the 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R we recently purchased seems to have better than average build quality and features (for an entry-level offering) than the last few fifth wheels we owned, and the last one was a "near top tier" Fleetwood product*. This is a very good question. I have been looking myself for a newer MH in the 32-34 ft range and have noticed for example lower end models used to have full basement storage in 2006 and now have little cut out doors like on a class C. Seems like there are more failures with newer refers than older ones. Slides and leveling systems seem to be more problematic. I went to look at 2009 Safari Simba with the Lippert system and the motor burned out while the owner was trying to demonstrate it. I new about this problem only because owners on this forum posted about it. I really like my old HWH system that is 21 years old and still works as well as my refer, WH,and furnace. I thing the answer is there but will be hard which are the best years.

*2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantum 285RLS

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in no big hurry, head to the Hershey TV show this fall. Practically every RV manufacturer will have bunches of models on display.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that I see more and more complaints about build quality on new units here lately.
If you had to pick a year for finding the latest model - but before the quality deteriorated, what year (or year span )would you guys choose? It becomes a trade off, I know. As time passes new ideas and equipment are utilized throughout the industry. So, what years offer the best "new" features, and still retain the best build quality - with "best" build quality being entirely subjective, I know.

I will start off by saying the 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R we recently purchased seems to have better than average build quality and features (for an entry-level offering) than the last few fifth wheels we owned, and the last one was a "near top tier" Fleetwood product*.

*2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantum 285RLS