cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A fleetwood discovery - should we purchase ??

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning all,
I’ve been going through a purchase of a class a 2003 with 79k miles from north of the country with a list of issues I’m aware of below, any suggestions on price as currently we settled on 35k but I haven’t had the survey yet and have concerns

Class A list to fix

1.Leveling jacks rear soil too soft, explained unable to but rear jacks down due to soft ground, could indicate issues with rear jacks.

1. Rust under slide, rust under the slide looks bad with the weather in the north could be a larger issue cannot fix that amount of bubbling.
2. Rust around engine error due to being in salt snow area
3. Furnace.rear furnace water damage couldn’t see how bad the water damage was due to screen on the front of the furnace could be board or other issue.

2. Wrong fridge commercial - potential issue defrost no drain and power to inverter during peak times could be the tripping issue.

1.Door awning broken - accident and leak I’ve rather corner which could have been fixed and looks like black sealant has been put in.

1. Rear awning replaced. May have been blown off the side or of the camper and leak in that side could have fallen off due to wind or snow the rear wall could have significant damage.
2. Leak around front door - could be fixed could be pending.
3. Wall covering in bedroom and bathroom hiding potential old leak.
Scrape down the side
1. Fuel Gauge. Indicated fuel probe was replaced but can act erratically when the gas goes back and front hills etc if you breakdown need to prime the filter.
2. Leak bedroom - unknown amount of damage due to wall covering.
3. Roof condition known
4 .Ac unit unknown indicated not cleaned ac units and one in the rear running poorly.

Hole in door -
Scrapes all around
Scrape one leaf blower
Scrape two along the side
Scrape hole 4 storage panel.

5. Blinds missing from the front only one remaining.
Rust around doors
Bra needs replacing
1. Ac in bedroom poor cooling asked and he never read changed any filter or cleaned the ac units on the roof.
2. Tv antenna unknown never used and disconnected.
Investor trips out
1. House batteries poor - rust and connections rusted, golf batteries are currently being used.
2. Wall covering indicates old leak or existing leak.
Tow along ?
1. Hot water never winterized, anode rod has not been replaced.
Rust under slide
1. Seal roof and edges - roof has not been renewed and didn’t indicate any work.
Service costs
Storage costs

Bra replace

1. Inverter tripping indicated that the inverter trips out when load is put in the kitchen area, could be due to fridge adding load.
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
52 REPLIES 52

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leave that Fleetwood sitting where it is. If this is all the known issues, then how many exist that have yet to be discovered? Leave it alone.
Not sure about the Mt Air except it was the bread and butter of Newmar for years.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
New search

A 2002 newmar mountain air with 129k miles from a dealer, any input appreciated on what to look for they are looking for 29k
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
This one has been treated pretty badly. Definitely ridden hard and put away wet. The body scratches wouldn't end the deal for me. A small amount of delam wouldn't scare me away from something that is properly priced, but if there is a lot more delam, no go. The electrical and mechanical issues are more concerning than the body damage. Those could be pretty expensive to resolve, if you can actually get them resolved. No postings about the roof. You need to get that looked at. Like others have said, better units at comparable cost that are much more turnkey than this one. The sellers are going to be sitting on this one for a while unless they do one of two things, lower the price by a lot, probably half, or put the money into it to rehab it for sale. I hope you can eventually find a Class A you like, that is in acceptable condition that you can afford. Keep looking, you'll find one.

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you all for the overwhelming response, we will continue using our travel trailer which has been well looked after
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto! Run, don't walk away from this one! There are much much better units out there available for reasonable deals.

As others have said, this one has way too many things wrong with it, and that's only what you can see of it. Who knows what yet undiscovered hidden surprises there are?

Be patient and shop. Your patience will pay off in the end.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, run. If you can see that many problems there has to be many more you don't see
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all please let me know if any travel trailers new preferred or great condition or class a
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. South FL is loaded with deals. Just watch out for those used in the carnival trade. Wore out and not maintained well.

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all
I will continue searching for a better class a or travel trailer
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
why would you want to take this on? surely there are other RVs with similar age and prices that would not require the equivalent of a full-time job to get road worthy.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
tourusa wrote:
My second walk around with the owner I got more info ie fuel gauge is on and off he Carry’s fuel cans, inverter trips out, missing and non functioning front blinds and door awning.

How much would this project the worth to pay for taking a gamble ?

Why take a gamble? There will be plenty more to choose from, plenty that have been much better maintained, and plenty that haven't spent their life in the rust belt.

My recommendation: Move on
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“ I wouldn't touch that mess with a 10ft pole…” at any price.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter shouldn't trip with a residential frig. There is something else wrong in the electrical system.

Sure got a lot of problems. You will spend a lot of time and a lot of money fixing it up. And like was said above, you can't fix the rust. It's there.

The motor may be worth about $8000 but
not much for the rest.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I would get away from this one as soon as possible.