Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A design suggestions

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few suggestions I have for Class A RV manufacturers:

1: Put an exit door in the bathroom. It gives me a second emergency exit and it keeps people from tracking up my RV when they use my bathroom.

2: Put the TV where it can be comfortably viewed from most of the seats in the living room area. Most of the time it is not set up in a location that can be comfortably viewed by more than 1 or 2 people.

3: How about some bigger windows on the camping/passenger side of the RV? That is the side that you are more likely to keep the shades open on. Let some light in!!

4: Please no rugs. Give me tile or a high quality vinyl. If I want a rug I can buy a throw rug and throw it away after it gets stained within 24 hours of then I bought it.

5: Bigger windows in the bedroom. I like fresh air and most bedrooms have 2 tiny windows that do nothing.

6: Windows that actually open!! New RVs have the tilt out style windows. I like that you can open them in the rain but they dont let in much of a breeze. I like lots of fresh air. I live in a city so when I get to RV I want the fresh air coming in.

7: I dont want my fresh water inlet in the same storage bin as my black water drain. Seems like common sense.

8: Keep all of my water connections in a different bin than my power chord. Again, more common sense.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
36 REPLIES 36

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
Agree. Want to replace our Rexhall but hate giving up the 11 windows. It was from the "white carpet era" though and I replaced it with laminate myself. White carpet is not compatible with camping.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Wiscampsin wrote:
Link to Newmar's bathroom emergency door with ladder. Great idea IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CQhfnNAaU

better than nothing but a retractable set of steps like those at the main entrance would be better in an emergency for people (who may be paniced) with mobility issues. bathroom, bedroom...doesnโ€™t make much difference.

This is AWESOME!! All RV's should have it.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

If you really believed that your life was in eminent danger, would you get into a motor home, or any other form of transportation? Please, . . . . a little dramatic don't ya think?

Chum lee
๐Ÿ™‚ I agree

A 737-900 has 8 exit doors, but somehow that never really offered me any confidence I was going to live!

better to have it than not.
Not necessarily.

If we are talking airplanes, many commercial airliners have hit the dirt as a result of door failures, so their surviving families would probably disagree with you.

On the MH I would be indifferent as to whether it was there or not, as long as I had some form of escape window. If it resulted in compromises to storage or other features, I would probably sacrifice the door for the other feature.
Do you have any citations where the failure of a plane's exit doors was considered the cause of the crash? I couldn't find any with a quick Google search. Closest was the failure of the cargo door on a cargo jet. It is my understanding that even if a door failed, it would not compromise the ability of a commercial jet to fly. It would be uncomfortable as heck for the passengers, but the structural integrity of the plane would not be in jeopardy.

Without putting words in OP's mouth, my take was that the exits referred to in his (maybe slightly sarcastic) given scenario, may not be worth anything at all, no matter how many there are.

Search: Wikipedia Aloha Airlines Flight 243 April 26, 1988 It's not a door failure specifically, it's more a major structural failure. In that case the roof of the aircraft becomes the door, well, . . . . more like a skylight. Many injuries, but, only 1 fatality. Aircraft landed safely.

With regard to exits on airplanes, there have been numerous incidents of agitated passengers trying to open exits at very inopportune times. Clearly, a life threatening event in itself. I don't have any specific cases to cite, but, I'm sure they are out there if you look.

Chum lee

Commercial aircraft doors open inward. It is impossible to open a door while the plane is airborne. The force created by pressurizing the cabin makes it physically impossible for anyone to open the doors while in flight. Google truly is your friend.

Do you have anything of value to add to this thread or do you just like to embarrass yourself?

If you research Aloha Airlines Flight 243, please ask yourself what the inflight cabin pressure is after the referenced inflight anomaly occurs.

Then watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO2wkubIsGc

Ever wonder why the FAA requires oxygen masks at every seating position and a brief instructional demonstration at the beginning of every flight?

It is true that the "plug type" passenger doors found on the 737 first open inward to take pressure off the door seals, then they open outward to provide clearance in the exit corridor. It is true that there are inflight interlocks that were designed to prevent opening the door when inflight, but ya see, were talking an inflight emergency here, not business as usual. Over and over again its been proven that people do incredibly irrational things when in a state of panic, and often systems don't work, or, nowadays, get hacked. In fact, there is an established procedure to open the cabin doors inflight in the event of fire/smoke in the cabin. That's all I'll say about that here. D. B. Cooper figured it out! Google that. I am a pilot.

It's also true that Google is everyone's friend, but, with limitations. Google provides information at your fingertips. As of yet, Google does not provide comprehension or understanding. Reading comprehension generally comes from successfully navigating grades K thru 12. Understanding generally comes from higher education and experience.

Chum lee (over and out on this thread)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

If you really believed that your life was in eminent danger, would you get into a motor home, or any other form of transportation? Please, . . . . a little dramatic don't ya think?

Chum lee
๐Ÿ™‚ I agree

A 737-900 has 8 exit doors, but somehow that never really offered me any confidence I was going to live!

Not necessarily.

If we are talking airplanes, many commercial airliners have hit the dirt as a result of door failures, so their surviving families would probably disagree with you.

On the MH I would be indifferent as to whether it was there or not, as long as I had some form of escape window. If it resulted in compromises to storage or other features, I would probably sacrifice the door for the other feature.
Do you have any citations where the failure of a plane's exit doors was considered the cause of the crash? I couldn't find any with a quick Google search. Closest was the failure of the cargo door on a cargo jet. It is my understanding that even if a door failed, it would not compromise the ability of a commercial jet to fly. It would be uncomfortable as heck for the passengers, but the structural integrity of the plane would not be in jeopardy.

Without putting words in OP's mouth, my take was that the exits referred to in his (maybe slightly sarcastic) given scenario, may not be worth anything at all, no matter how many there are.

Search: Wikipedia Aloha Airlines Flight 243 April 26, 1988 It's not a door failure specifically, it's more a major structural failure. In that case the roof of the aircraft becomes the door, well, . . . . more like a skylight. Many injuries, but, only 1 fatality. Aircraft landed safely.

With regard to exits on airplanes, there have been numerous incidents of agitated passengers trying to open exits at very inopportune times. Clearly, a life threatening event in itself. I don't have any specific cases to cite, but, I'm sure they are out there if you look.

Chum lee
Commercial aircraft doors open inward. It is impossible to open a door while the plane is airborne. The force created by pressurizing the cabin makes it physically impossible for anyone to open the doors while in flight. Google truly is your friend.
Can we give this a friggen rest campground owner! I'm now so sorry I ever brought it up, as it is really distracting from the topic. Chum Lee made the comment that the rear exit is overkill, and I agreed, adding (in jest pretty much) that it was about as worthless as exits on an airplane, which are worthless the majority of the time. I also just watched worst air disasters where the cargo door didn't latch and brought down an airliner recently, which led to may last comment (also somewhat in jest) - but in reality none of it contributes anything to the topic. If you want to win, you can win! Let's drop it off the topic.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
No one ever want's to pay for safety, that's why the vendors push the legislators to make it law first. Then you don't have a choice unfortunately.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Thanks for the Tiffin option. I have been and still a Tiffin Dealer tech for 38 years. Have NEVER seen that option. I asked one of our long time Salesman about this exit. He said, NOBODY has ever optioned it and when he has asked when spec'ing out if they wanted this option, they stated NO, they do not want to pay the upgrade cost. So, even tho some OEM's offer a BETTER solution, the buying public has their say and it is NO. Doug

Doug,
Does not surprise me. In America, we want everything but do not want to pay for it. I see many complaints that they do not like rolling out a window but when provided an option, they are not willing to pay. We are also in denial that it won't happen to me.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Chum lee wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
Tiffin has an option for an Egress Hatch behind the headboard.
This is their AB.
Outside - Closed

Inside - Headboard in place.

Inside - Headboard removed

Inside - Egress open

Outside - Egress open

Outside - Egress open2

OK, so you can plan you exit, but can you plan your failure? What happens in one of the more common RV accidents? Catastrophic failure (blowout) of the right or left front tires. Driver then over corrects resulting in the vehicle rolling and coming to rest on one side. If its the driver side, your emergency exit is now blocked and your main exit is now on the ceiling. Your best choice for an emergency exit in this case would have been on the ceiling (of the RV) which is now on the side of the RV. Same thing in reverse.

What if the slides need to be extended in order to access the stateroom/bathroom and you crash head on blocking the front exit? What good is your extra stateroom/bathroom exit now?

There are literally thousands of crash scenario iterations that could be correct, . . . . . or totally wrong given the specific crash scenario. That's why statistics are important. They help designers determine the most likely or best case solutions and what should be done to correct them. Worthwhile statistics are generated from past experience. Not current wish lists/opinions. Unfortunately, sometimes people die generating good statistics. Like it or not, that's reality folks!

Chum lee

How do you plan for everything?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee
๐Ÿ™‚ I agree

Not necessarily.

Chum lee

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the Tiffin option. I have been and still a Tiffin Dealer tech for 38 years. Have NEVER seen that option. I asked one of our long time Salesman about this exit. He said, NOBODY has ever optioned it and when he has asked when spec'ing out if they wanted this option, they stated NO, they do not want to pay the upgrade cost. So, even tho some OEM's offer a BETTER solution, the buying public has their say and it is NO. Doug

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee
๐Ÿ™‚ I agree

Not necessarily.

Chum lee

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
Tiffin has an option for an Egress Hatch behind the headboard.
This is their AB.
Outside - Closed

Inside - Headboard in place.

Inside - Headboard removed

Inside - Egress open

Outside - Egress open

Outside - Egress open2

OK, so you can plan you exit, but can you plan your failure? What happens in one of the more common RV accidents? Catastrophic failure (blowout) of the right or left front tires. Driver then over corrects resulting in the vehicle rolling and coming to rest on one side. If its the driver side, your emergency exit is now blocked and your main exit is now on the ceiling. Your best choice for an emergency exit in this case would have been on the ceiling (of the RV) which is now on the side of the RV. Same thing in reverse.

What if the slides need to be extended in order to access the stateroom/bathroom and you crash head on blocking the front exit? What good is your extra stateroom/bathroom exit now?

There are literally thousands of crash scenario iterations that could be correct, . . . . . or totally wrong given the specific crash scenario. That's why statistics are important. They help designers determine the most likely or best case solutions and what should be done to correct them. Worthwhile statistics are generated from past experience. Not current wish lists/opinions. Unfortunately, sometimes people die generating good statistics. Like it or not, that's reality folks!

Chum lee

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as an additional bathroom entry door, there are quite a few trailers that have them for reason the OP posted. I agree on the window ideas too, both in size, ability to open them, not the "frame less" ones common today, and for the bedroom. Also, most late model class A's and 5th wheels seem to have addressed the TV positioning pretty good with many now perched on top of electric fireplaces. Not so much on trailers with more cramped quarters.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

OK I'll bite. Point me to some published accident statistics by NHTSB, DOT, Insurance statistics, whatever, showing that having an additional full size rear door (in lieu of an alternate escape window) with electric extendable steps in a Class A motor home has saved lives. And please make sure you post how many lives it has saved over how many years.

If you really believed that your life was in eminent danger, would you get into a motor home, or any other form of transportation? Please, . . . . a little dramatic don't ya think? Seriously! You are still pursuing this to make your ridiculous point? Look up Turkish 981, and if you still want to argue, open a new thread.

Chum lee
๐Ÿ™‚ I agree

Not necessarily.

Seriously? You still want to pursue this to make your ridiculous point? Turkish 981 for start. If you still want to argue, open a new thread with this new topic.
Sorry I offended you. I'll just leave your entirely unsubstantiated claims alone because when someone wants to make a point it is completely proper to just make things up.(sarcasm intended)
The flight you just cited was a cargo door on a plane (DC-10) that no longer is in commercial passenger service anywhere in the world. That crash occurred in 1974. But if you feel that airline emergency exit doors are a great threat to your personal safety you can always use some combination of driving, boating, swimming and walking to get to any destination in the world and avoid those deadly airplanes.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

OK I'll bite. Point me to some published accident statistics by NHTSB, DOT, Insurance statistics, whatever, showing that having an additional full size rear door (in lieu of an alternate escape window) with electric extendable steps in a Class A motor home has saved lives. And please make sure you post how many lives it has saved over how many years.

If you really believed that your life was in eminent danger, would you get into a motor home, or any other form of transportation? Please, . . . . a little dramatic don't ya think? Seriously! You are still pursuing this to make your ridiculous point? Look up Turkish 981, and if you still want to argue, open a new thread.

Chum lee
๐Ÿ™‚ I agree

Not necessarily.

Seriously? You still want to pursue this to make your ridiculous point? Turkish 981 for start. If you still want to argue, open a new thread with this new topic.