cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging 4 batteries with external charger.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has 4, 6 volt batteries. I've recently run them down and need to charge them with an external charger. Does it matter which positive post your connect the positive cable to and which negative post you connect the negative wire to?
12 REPLIES 12

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use your converter to charge the batteries? The converter is most likely 45 to 60 amps. The 10 amp charger will take a long time to charge four batteries.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
At 10 amps you can't hurt nothing. No joke see if you can charge them individually. Likely the charger will register as an error. My friend stuck a 12v 5a charger onto a 6v for 2 days. Poor mans equalization charge.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using a 10 amp charger.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I have to ask since no one else has.

How many amps is your external battery charger?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does it matter which positive and negative.. yes and no.

Now.. with six volt pairs you have

-{6v}+-{6v}+
-{6v}+-{6v}+

and in thie diagram you can connect a standared 12 volt charger to either LEFT negative and either RIGHT positive

Do not connecte to the ones in the middle.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
supercub wrote:
My RV has 4, 6 volt batteries. I've recently run them down and need to charge them with an external charger. Does it matter which positive post your connect the positive cable to and which negative post you connect the negative wire to?

Batteries need to be wired in a balanced manner for them to charge.

Look at method #3 at the smartgauge site.

This is what is balanced and best for twin twelve volt batteries.

As it often doesn't cost a dime more to do this, I think it is worth the trouble.

If you wish to understand the "why" surf here:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A solar system would have prevented this.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
My RV has 4, 6 volt batteries. I've recently run them down and need to charge them with an external charger.
Think we could talk you through how to post pictures? A picture of your batteries and a picture of your charger would allow the smart guys to give you better advice.

You will actually charge better if you charge 2 at a time.

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
I do this often to keep my 4 six volt batteries in good shape.

First of all, set your charger on the 12 volt charging option (most chargers have six and twelve volt options or if digital will sense the proper voltage setting).

Next connect the positive charger cable to the positive battery terminal which is connected to the 300 amp fuse leading to the inverter. This is the positive cable that enters the interior of the motorhome.

Then connect the negative charger cable to the negative terminal in the battery bank which is connected to the cable that enters the coach and establishes the ground connection for the battery bank.

Make sure you use a good 3 stage charger for the operation and realize that it may take up to 2 days to fully charge your battery bank.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Short answer: yes. But only a little.

These would be arranged 2 each in series, to make two pairs in parallel. Best practice would be to attach charger positive to the end terminal on one pair and the negative to the end terminal on the other pair.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
To keep everything happy and confusion at a minimum connect the charger to the same posts that the feeds to the coach are connected along with positive of the charger to the positive of the coach,,,
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assume that you have your batteries hooked up to provide 12 volts to your coach. If you hook up the charger at the same point where the 12 volt output is taken from, there should be no problem at all.