cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CARB smog testing motorhomes Every 4months by 2024

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-unveils-smog-check-trucks-enforcement-event-port-los-angeles

You guys see this? In two years motorhomes will need to be smog tested 4 times a year in California?
40 REPLIES 40

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
And what about those MH that don't have OBD2 my 36ft Bounder on a 1996 gvw 22500# Ford F53 chassis is OBD1, and i Dare say there are many similar MH, the 95 Safari DP we had before this, the 32ft Komfort we had 92 gmc p30 etcc,
Custom coaches on a bus conversion etc..Calif has gone nuts

In reading further into it it seems to be only for diesels.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
And what about those MH that don't have OBD2 my 36ft Bounder on a 1996 gvw 22500# Ford F53 chassis is OBD1, and i Dare say there are many similar MH, the 95 Safari DP we had before this, the 32ft Komfort we had 92 gmc p30 etcc,

It seems the goal is to make having a motorhome, especially an older one, as big of a pain in the arse as possible instead of outright banning them, with the hope you give up. You can bet the day is coming for outright bans, and its coming for what could be considered a medium or heavy duty pickup truck someday also. No one needs any of these fuel guzzling heavy vehicles. They'll dictate what you own/drive because they know better.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty simple for most of the country just donโ€™t spend your money in CA and just bypass the state. I know I will be doing that.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
You know that there is an old sled dog sayingโ€ฆ. โ€œIf youโ€™re not the lead dog, the view never changesโ€.

Howโ€™s the view back there ๐Ÿ˜‰
RVing since 1995.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Walaby wrote:
4 times a year for an RV. Really? It matters not that it's a five minute or 50 minute inspection, Im sure you guys will be charged an arm and a leg, and every three months for an RV is noting more than pure harassment as PButler says.

I'm sure at some point, they will have the OBD tied into your cell phone and it will send a continuous stream of data. Of course, that will give them access to all kinds of data to use against you.

I'm sure at least some folks in northern Calicrazy store their rigs for the winter...so will they have to pull them out of storage burn 5-10 gallons of fuel to get them to a test station, so they can be tested to stay current?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Emission standards are one thing, but this is government harassment to push their electric vehicle agenda. Unfortunately the CA "progesssive" sickness is spreading throughout the country on many fronts.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
For those who didn't "live it"-
I grew up on Southern California in the 60's and 70's. In the 60's we used to go to my Grandma's house in the San Gabriel Valley. The San Gabriel Mountains were 20 miles away as the crow flies. In the summer time I used to play outside and the air was so filthy I couldn't see those mountains just 20 miles away and my throat would hurt severely. Fast forward to today-the population has DOUBLED since I grew up there and there are more vehicles registered there than any where else in the Country. The air is cleaner than it's EVER BEEN. All because of CARB mandates-that were so successful by the way they were adopted by several other states. I have since retired and moved out of state-taking my massive equity with me. Yea say what you will but quite frankly you cannot by any stretch argue with the results. So yea-camp elsewhere.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Apparently this is what the citizens of California wanted or they would not have voted for the people that have enacted these regulations. Basically you get what you voted for.
I agree to a point but CARB is its own entity and does not bend to the will of the people, they pretty much do what they want.
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Nobody is denying you your right to recreate in a big RV. They are simoly trying to stop you from poluting the earth while you do it.

I average 1400 miles per year, so every 350 miles I will have to get a smog check, for what? Even if I did 10,000 miles per year, it is not going to pollute any more or less by getting it tested more, I have never failed a smog test. Makes no sense.
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Apparently this is what the citizens of California wanted or they would not have voted for the people that have enacted these regulations. Basically you get what you voted for.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Good lord. When will it stop?

That is a rhetorical question because the answer is NEVER.

4 times a year for an RV. Really? It matters not that it's a five minute or 50 minute inspection, Im sure you guys will be charged an arm and a leg, and every three months for an RV is noting more than pure harassment as PButler says.

Guys - you better be careful on what you say on this thread. I posted gas price difference between California and Georgia. And stated in all honesty I was sorry for y'all out in Cali. Thread didn't last long.

Mike

I believe that was Orcadrvers response about pure harassment, and he screwed up the quote/post, however I agree.

Your thread was not shut down, it was totally deleted. Apparently when Time2Roll judged my social standing by asking if I was allowed to have a burn barrel or not. I am allowed, but tires will not fit into it, so I burn them in the pasture along with the plastic pallets. These greenies on here should sell their trailers and tow vehicles and buy tents to pack into an EV, so we know they're seriously walking the walk. Don't hold your breath lol.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good lord. When will it stop?

That is a rhetorical question because the answer is NEVER.

Guys - you better be careful on what you say on this thread. I posted gas price difference between California and Georgia. And stated in all honesty I was sorry for y'all out in Cali. Thread didn't last long.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tons of pollution in the LA/LB port area for multiple reasons. Most of these trucks will be electric in a few years so no real burden on them. Testing the MH seems a bit overboard for minimal use case. But many of these HD vehicles are exempt and it will be a PITN as this initially get underway same as the first testing of autos in the 1980s.

Going to make a huge improvement in air quality.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason not to go to the left coast.
2014 American Eagle