cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the height of Kwikee electric steps be adjusted?

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
I had a single step electric step installed on my 1988 Winnebago Superchief. I figured if the step was locataed midway between the ground and the bottom step inside the MH, I could climb it. BUT ... as installed, it's only about 4" from the ground and 12" from the bottom inside step, which is too high for me to manage. I asked the installer to position it so the step was around the halfway point before installation. He didn't, but he did everything so half-assed I don't know if it isn't possible or he just didn't bother.

So my question is: can the step's extended position be changed vertically? If not, is there a different model or maker that makes an adjustable electric step? I don't know which series I bought and I sure can't get down on the ground to try to find the label. I googled the subject but didn't find any answers and neither the owner's manual nor the service manual say anything one way or the other.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'
17 REPLIES 17

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
Adjustable height stool from camping world
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
It also doesn't help that I'm not techie so a lot of explanations go right over my head. However, I'm very good at asking a repair person "can the frame or bracket be repositioned so the step is higher?" lol

We need a "don't even know what questions to ask" forum. It never occurred to me before I bought the step that they weren't adjustable but could be ordered in different configurations. Gonna wind up being an expen$ive lesson but that is my own fault.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I may not be explaining clearly. Most steps do not attach directly to the rig. There is normally some type of bracket mounted between step assembly and rig.
The bracket could be revised/ changed to "adjust" height.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Poster was concerned about stowing the step, steps, blocks etc once she and her husband were in the MH, Norm, thus the idea of a electric lift.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
How about making a wood block that straddles and raises the step? You wouldn't use it enroute, but once in the campground, leave the step extended and add the wood block?

Norm
F1BNorm

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I would look around the local area for another rig like yours. See what it looks like."

Lift attachment to the MH will be an interesting issue and with this old a coach may need extra fabrations.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Chevrolet P30 chassis. I'll check the tire size when I can go out without blowing over. lol

Interesting that manual steps would drop lower. I was thinking I'd get an actual measurement from bottom of chassis to ground, I noticed in the Kwikee service manual that different models have different rises. I hate to buy another set of electric steps but it still wouldn't cost as much as putting in a wheelchair lift. But this time I will run the numbers first!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Usually 2 step MANUAL steps drop lower than 2 step electric. Kwikee electric doubles have a 7 inch drop. ALL you have to do is find another motorhome that has a Kwikee double step(RV dealer lot), extend the steps and measure from the bottom of the lowest step to ground. The measure from the lowest step to the top of the mount bracket plate. That will tell you if you have enough room. Odds are you will. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would look around the local area for another rig like yours. See what it looks like.
One thing that could be different is that the rig started with 19.5 tires and some one changed to 16 inch. Maybe even the factory!
When chassis is your rig sitting on? Most Chev chassis came with 19.5.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
So I can at least ask if the mounting bracket can be moved higher if I can find a competent installer. (This was NOT the only problem with the installer's work, there were 3 things to do and every one was screwed up.) I suspect the answer will still be no as the step looks right against the bottom of the coach when folded.

It had a manual 2-step when I bought it. The bottom step kept bumping against the ground, which is why I thought a 1-step would work better. Maybe I need a 1-1/2 step. lol

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I asked the installer to position it so the step was around the halfway point before installation. He didn't, but he did everything so half-assed I don't know if it isn't possible or he just didn't bother.”

“Looks to me like it is mounted as high as it can go on the chassis “

Seems as though he did the best anyone could, and not “half” anything.

MrWizard
step height is NOT adjustable, do not blame the installer

sounds like you need a (2) step model

my (2) step model the steps are about 8" apart and the top step is 8" below the door entry

bottom step approx 16" from the door
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Step extend about 4 or 5 inches deep on my rig - doesn't appear adjustable. If that's your situation then buy an inexpensive device to help short people reach high cabinets - place that on the ground as your second stair landing. I carry one in the rig for my wife to reach upper shelf's and it serves double duty when camping. NBD - common problem.
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The electric step itself is not adjustable.
The mounting bracket is what changes the height.
I had mine revised when the factory one split on the corner.
It looks like a peice of Z bar. The mounting surfaceas are about two inches. The riser is what varies. Mine went from about 1.5 inches to about 2.5 inches. My sheet steel was replaced with a bent piece of stainless steel sheet.
Sounds in your case that the bracket needs to shortened rather then extended as in my case.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow