cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping near Detroit

FB_Grateful_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
We will be in the Detroit area in late July. Sterling State park looks like a good place, right on the shores of Erie, despite the apparent lack of shade. Does anyone know anything about this park? Are there better locations in the area? I saw that Lakeport State Park in Port Huron will be closed for repairs.
Thanks for the help, Fred
2012 HR Vacationer
Ms. Froggy - 07 Honda CRV
Fred and Deb
20 REPLIES 20

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove by the KOA on US23 at exit 11 (Michigan) Packed in like sardines listening to the whine of traffic on the 4 lane.. Thought to myself a great way to spend 40 bucks a night....not...

I guess if you live in an urban setting, it 'seems' like the country but I live out here in the country so it's not.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

damntough
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the Algonac State park already mentioned. There is a brand-new park on lake Saint Clair. URL is http://northpointeshoresrvresort.com

You will want to spend a couple of days at the Henry Ford.

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Dearborn in Milford is another good choice, over a hundred full hook up sites and open to the public. Pet friendly and just west of Haas Lake on I-96.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
That is the hot setup. Never knew that was there but then I live close enough that I would not camp there anyway.

Looks like a real nice place.

Michigan roads in general are potholes and patches....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne County RV Park and Fairgrounds right off I-94 is a nice Good Sam Campground. They have a variety of hookups. Very reasonable, nice people.

The access road, although paved, is 1/4 mile of potholes and patches.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
fantasy islander wrote:
Sterling is nice, paved sites, pull-thrus, FHUs, right on the lake, paths, lagoons, boat launch, playground, bike path to Monroe. Need a state park pass. Close to I-75.

If you are an out of stater, no, you don't. The recreational passport pass we have (on your plate) gives us a better rate.

Sterling is nice but toward the end of summer, may not be depending on how the algae blooms on the lake play out. If the blooms come into the west end like they usually do, it could be a stinker (literally) and no swimming either.

If you go to the Toledo Maritime Museum, you have to drive down Front Street and eat at Tony Pakos too. Interesting place with autographed stale bread rolls adorning the walls. Pakos was made famous by Jamie Farr from MASH.

The Toledo Museum of Art is a good visit as well, but the neighborhood is less than stellar, much less.
2015 Backpack SS1500

2cyber71
Explorer
Explorer
Harbortown in Monroe is a real nice RV park. We were in site 104. Nice flat pullthru. 103 is a better site. Close to Detroit, only a hour to Toledo. Went to the Great Lakes Ship Museum. It's a must stop.
Only thing about Harbortown is the cable TV is all digital. So if you don't have a newer TV or converter you can't watch the cable,
Nice place..

Harbortown

fantasy_islande
Explorer
Explorer
Sterling is nice, paved sites, pull-thrus, FHUs, right on the lake, paths, lagoons, boat launch, playground, bike path to Monroe. Need a state park pass. Close to I-75.
Joe & Cathy Sikora
2010 45' Mandalay Quad Slide, Freightliner XL Tag, 425 Cummins
2018 Chevy Traverse Premier
Stan & Ollie
Afghan Hound Rescues

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Sterling is an FHU (only if you can get it) parking lot with a beach. Tell us more about what you want and we (particularly us locals) can be more helpful.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
FB Grateful Dad wrote:
Thanks. I give up Dale, FHU??? Thanks for your input Flip. Dump station is nice, but do you have 50 amp?

Actually, I do. I have 200 amp service to my shop, 480 3 phase. I keep my unit shore powered all the time I'm not using it and I installed a seperate septic tank and leach field so I could clean out my tanks when I got home if I didn't dump at a campground.

My only issue is no city water but our well water is good.

I don't believe any of the campgrounds I listed have city of Monroe water except Harbor Town and Sterling State Park. 90% of the water around here comes from wells and some is not too good either.

If you are going to visit Greenfield Village (I recommend going there, it's not only educational but interesting for the whole family), an RV park out I94 west of the city would be your best bet. You don't want to take your unit to Greenfield Village as it's situated right off the Southfield Freeway (M39) on the edge of Dearborn and basically in an urban area. If you do go, plan on 2 days to see it all and experience everything it has to offer. No way you can do the entire village in a day.

I also believe Fords is offering 'Factory Tours' of the Rouge complex but I don't know what the times are or the admission is, if any. Despite Detroit's bad reputation, Greek town (which is downtown Detroit) offers some fine dining and gambling if you are inclined. There are areas of Detroit neither you (nor I) want to go in, but Greek town and the riverfront is pretty neat (and safe). My wife and I go there regularly, for the food, not the gambling. Greek town and downtown Detroit is easily accessable from either I94 or I96 via I275 which plops you right in the heart of town.

We do have the huge Cabelas store (Dundee) right near us (4 miles) if you are into high priced fru-fru. South of here, 15 miles is Toledo, with their Maritime museum and Libby Glass Plant that also has tours and is home of the famous Jeep.

I know I sound like a tour guide but I've lived here about all my life and there is plenty of things to do and see.

Have fun, drive safe and enjoy your vacation.
2015 Backpack SS1500

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you belong to a faternal orgination there may be a lodge with RV facilities, Alas the Taylor Moose is closed for the time so no joy there.

I stayed at the old Greenfield KOA, not called Greenfield-Detroit Campground, Not bad, fair Wi-Fi. full hookup though I took a 30 amp site, You might want to call ahead.

Algonac State Park is electric only with dump station and water fill station (It is N.E. of Detroit on Jeffereson.

Beyond that I can't help much. I used to have a low-power site in the city itself but, alas, last I knew I handed the title to the bank and said By By.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Full Hook Up

FB_Grateful_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I give up Dale, FHU??? Thanks for your input Flip. Dump station is nice, but do you have 50 amp?
2012 HR Vacationer
Ms. Froggy - 07 Honda CRV
Fred and Deb

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Chemung outdoor resort in Howell is a very nice place, about an hour from the D
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar