cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camera facing front for lowing branches - anyone use.?

Bright_Stars
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30' 2007 Coachman Concord - the backup camera has gotten almost non usable so faded.
Want to upgrade to a color monitor.

I'm wondering if other people have tried adding a front facing camera for low hanging branches.
I know there have been other places besides my driveway were it would have been really helpful.
I could use power from vent on the front of the roof.

What I have now is a voyager, the monitor slides out and flips up for viewing. Currently it does not want to do that. Hard to get to temp controls behind it too.

I understand wired is better than wireless. I'm thinking the new wiring is different than what is in there now.
I have no clue how I would run a new wire from the back to the front. I can handle wiring for a wireless system.
Sadly we do not use the unit much lately. When my older husband passes, I want to travel. I would rather have a shorter unit say 24-26'.
So until I figure out what I really want to do a lot - my best option is to keep the unit that is paid for. grin
Anyway I would like to keep from spending big bucks on the color monitor if I don't keep the unit.

My sister listens to scraping noises on her sides.
Uh, not on my paint job thank you.

Any shared thoughts would be welcome.
11 REPLIES 11

Bright_Stars
Explorer
Explorer
It is true that I do tend to overthink things.
A tall stick over my head has worked at times while trying to figure out if I have cleared the driveway enough or if more branches need to go. It is on a slope so learning to eyeball is not always true. Using a ladder to get into the bucket of the John Deere is not the easiest and then back down to move it one way or another so I can reach or try to.
This has not been about bridges or highway or developed RV parks - but for those times where you are stopping in an unusual place whose branches might or not be quite right. I have tried using a tape measure but they keep folding before they get tall enough. Stick is fine here - just not to travel with. The back up camera works fine for judging backing up. No doubt when I can travel more often I'll get a feel for the height and worry less in those rare occasions. Also practice that GOAL that I Have been known to do anyway. DH means well, but is more confusing than helpful then not happy with me. He needs to go find something else to do while I park. We were supposed to go see his kids, the RV center couldn't get to me for several weeks so I ended up doing a lot of the repairs myself. All the moving around here I've gotten into the habit of moving it while he is still in the house. grin. But his health slipped again so no trip for awhile I guess. It's all good. Things I need to know as I plan to travel a bunch in the future when it is just me and the dogs. Boy scout be prepared.
Thanks

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bright Stars wrote:
I know there have been other places besides my driveway were it would have been really helpful

In places like a driveway or any other off road place where you can stop the rv to get out and check the height using a stick or fishing pole would be easier than trying to figure out a camera.

When I started out with my first tall rv I used an old short fishing rod which if I placed the handle on top of my head, it would be an inch taller than my rv.
I got out of the rv while driving in safe off road situations to check the height. I had to do that maybe 2x before I was able to eyeball things without the help of the pole. You might be over thinking this. Most all over the road public highway situations are not going to be a problem. Common sense tells you to NOT use drive throughs at banks or fast food places and mechanics will guide you into garages.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm don't see how a front mounted camera could reliably differentiate between a high overpass farther away and a lower one nearer to the vehicle; it has (basically) no way of determining distance, just angular offset from the centerline of the camera. With a binocular camera system and a bunch of computer processing you could get around that.

Rear view backup cameras can estimate distances on the ground by assuming the ground is a flat plane underneath the vehicles wheels, so the distance is directly related to the position seen by the camera. That doesn't work overhead (nor does it work if the ground slope changes beyond the wheels--as an extreme example, if just in front of a vertical wall).

Bright_Stars
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, - have seen several like that online lately.
I think there are more low railroad bridges back East than elsewhere.

My low motorhome would have been safe there -
Looks like you and your car would have been safe also. grin

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer

Bright_Stars
Explorer
Explorer
D.E. - what an interesting idea. Certainly never thought of them. Can't see, but they would alert you if too close. hmmm
Where do you find them ??

Bright_Stars
Explorer
Explorer
Mike - Thanks - Best Buy, I didn't think of them for sure.

Bob - Yes, if cell phones count - wireless not always reliable with me either. Hope your eyes stop fluttering soon.

Ron - Good point about the bugs. Maybe a movable hood could be used so it is only exposed when you need to use it. Beyond my electrical capabilities there. Behind the roof vent would block bugs, but the view not so hot either. grin. Have to think more about that. I know that you have loved your Phoenix and I keep admiring it too - just not the price tag.

Still to avoid new roof or paint job makes you think. Obviously I go out and about at times.

thanks all.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought, have some of the radar sensors you see on the rear of car bumpers up on the front edge. We have them for front and rear of our DD. I'm adding them to the rear of my towed as they are only a few dollars and I have the panels off and wiring exposed at the moment.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The only issue I see concerning a top-mounted camera that faces forward, is the obvious. One bug plastered on the lens will render it useless. How many times of getting on the roof to clean it will it take before you give up?

Just maybe you could find a place up top where bugs won't splat on it, yet it provides the right view.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wireless stuff has been around for some time and they have not figured it all out yet. That's up to you if you want to try a system or not.

Im not a fan of anything that's wireless, been burned one two many times. That includes truck camper jacks and air bags :M
I have had a lot of wireless issues communicating between the two devices in any type of wireless system. I tried a wireless camera and it fluttered too much to the point where my eyes are still 'blinking' and I don't have the system anymore. ๐Ÿ™‚

here is a thread to read for more info.....
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28685612.cfm

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see why not. Add a camera at the front/rear pointing to the horizon to see obstructions when moving in either direction.
Probably cheaper than a roof or paint repair.
I would try to go 12V DC wireless, with a remote view screen.

Maybe some place like Best Buy could get you started/pointed in the right direction?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)