cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying New Class A Questions

smknf250
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am going to be buying a used class A Diesel Pusher in the next few weeks and looking at brands like Winnabego, Tiffin, Newmar, and Fleetwood. Will consider others if anyone can advise. I remember my last motorhome about 10 years ago the Freighliner chassis wasn't good one. Has that changed?

Suggestions on Chassis to get?

Make and Model, probably looking for tag axle since I will be towing a 10,000 pound empty stacker trailer and fully loaded in the 16,000 - 18,000 pound range

would like something 2010 or newer and my wife likes the bath and a half models. Would like to stay under $250k and $200k would be the sweet spot preferably.

Thanks for any advice and help and I hope everyone is staying healthy.
13 REPLIES 13

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
DEF engines run well. Yes, it is another item that could potentially need maintenance but it makes the engine run better than with just the DPF. I wish I could explain it better but I'm not a mechanic.

Safe travels,

From what I have read, DEF is engineered to meet NOX emission without exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). By eliminating EGR the engines can run at a higher combustion temperature and as a result have higher efficiency and performance.

You are welcome to fact check this post.

Warren

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Not sure if it’s possible with those years but I would limit myself to something without DEF. Anyone know when DEF made it into the MH chassis?

2010 was the year that DEF was introduced. Google says Dodge diesel trucks got it in 2013. DPF's were required on the 2007 RV chassis's.

DEF engines run well. Yes, it is another item that could potentially need maintenance but it makes the engine run better than with just the DPF. I wish I could explain it better but I'm not a mechanic.

My 2008 Monaco Dynasty was the first year of the DPF which was on a 2007 chassis and it ran well. No issues in the almost 70,000 miles and 7.5 yrs. that I owned it. It would regen about every 8,000 miles.

My 2015 Prevost has both the DPF and DEF, it has gone through a regen only 3 times in almost 60,000 miles with the third just happening about 1,500 miles ago. No issues so far with any of the emission controls.

If somebody really wants a simpler engine, they should get a 2006 or earlier engine with no DPF or DEF. 2003 or earlier (if I'm not mistaken) has no EGR.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it’s possible with those years but I would limit myself to something without DEF. Anyone know when DEF made it into the MH chassis?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Most 450 HP rigs with a tag are rated for 15,000 but to get over that you have to move up.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
smknf250 wrote:
Any concerns with Freightliner chassis?

That is a coach option
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

smknf250
Explorer
Explorer
Any concerns with Freightliner chassis?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
kdk wrote:
Dutch Star 40 ft with tag axle would be a good choice

NO ! dutch star is limited to 10k pounds.

It would require a ESSEX or greater to get above 10k
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
If you are going to tow more than 15,000 lb. you will need a motor home with 600 HP, the top of the line, like a Zephier, Cornerstone or King Aire.

There are several threads about the flaw with the 600-650 hp Cummins..... expensive repair on #6 cylinder with EGR. I wouldn't touch one myself.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

smknf250
Explorer
Explorer
I have several friends that tow their stacker trailers without an issue for years with coaches that have a 15k hitch rating.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Any coaches have hitches rated for that kind of weight ?

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch Star 40 ft with tag axle would be a good choice
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to tow more than 15,000 lb. you will need a motor home with 600 HP, the top of the line, like a Zephier, Cornerstone or King Aire.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would go for a Tiffin Phaeton.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"