cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,712 REPLIES 1,712

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holy Cow is right!! I would be very interested in the out come of this.

Other than that it seem that you are happy with your purchase,new tires sounds really great as does the rest of it.

I will put you on the list of Former Rental Owners on this thread you will be #115

Congratulations on the new RV,I sure hope Cruise America will step up and honor their warranty.Please let us know how it goes.
Buying A Rental Class C

CwglIndn
Explorer
Explorer
Just Got home to Tucson From Las Vegas, Arrived at 8:30 spent an hour looking over the RV with two Cruise America guys. They really helped me look over and demonstrate everything, including the new awning.

When I got home 6pm same day to Tucson, I was showing my wife and the generator cut off three times when I was starting it. Then we smelled a fire. I went out, didn't see anything and started the generator from outside. HOLY COW the circuit board caught on fire and was sparking. I shut it off.

I left a message for Cruise America in Vegas to see what the could do. He repeatedly told me if I had any problems in the ride home or in the next 30 days that Cruise America in Phoenix could help me out.

We will see. Meanwhile, I will be checking on the circuit board.

REST of the RV was AWESOME, NEW TIRES, NEW water and Sewer hoses, Paint was awesome, Engine clean and detailed. Nothing major, except it caught on FIRE!

I will update Later.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cannot find any common issues on this model,but reading thru this thread you may come up with something.I know it is A LOT to read but there are a quite a few suggestions there to look for.

I think that a few things that cropped up were, window screens,missing knobs and water leaks on faucets also worn front end parts, all of these were taken care of before delivery.

One big thing is to look at the tires and make sure to look at the Tire MFG Date to see if they are old,others here have had them replaced before delivery. More than 4 years is too old,in my opinion.

I found when I was looking that the tread on the outside rear dual tires looked fine but when I got down and looked at the inside ones I noticed that they were worn more. I think that they changed the outside ones to make it look better and hid the inside ones.

Good luck on all of this and have safe travels,let us know how it works out.
Buying A Rental Class C

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
Car rental. I don't know at what age car rental companies start to renew their rental fleets but here in the United States many car rental companies take their used cars and sell them at auction or like in the case of Enterprise Rental

CwglIndn
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
CwglIndn. Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club.

It sounds like you did your homework and the refurbished one sounds like a much better deal,the awning is a very good idea. The Warranties are a bit steep for what you get,I assume they still come with the 3-Month/3,000 Mile Limited Warranty. That fly/drive perk is a nice one,others here have used it and it worked well for them.

That may be enough to get by for now if there is any immediate problems. Do look into an inspection, anything that is found may still be covered by warranty. Also go thru the unit and if you find anything wrong make them fix it before delivery,they seem to be very good at that from what I have seen here in this thread.

After delivery and your trip home please come on back and tell us how it all went,problems,fixes,any information that may be helpful to the others here.

Again welcome and good luck and hopefully your August vacation plans will work out.

Any suggestions on common issues from these THOR 23A units? I know my way around common RV appliances and I intend to test everything out.

Nevada just issued a shutdown order, but we can still finish the deal. Cruise America stated I could have an inspector come out, but I have not been able to find one yet. The ones I did find, their reviews were not very good. I think with this short notice I will have to just do my own long inspection.

SO ANY Common issues on this unit would be helpful. I will also go back through the forum to see if I can find anything.

Thanks

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
CwglIndn. Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club.

It sounds like you did your homework and the refurbished one sounds like a much better deal,the awning is a very good idea. The Warranties are a bit steep for what you get,I assume they still come with the 3-Month/3,000 Mile Limited Warranty. That fly/drive perk is a nice one,others here have used it and it worked well for them.

That may be enough to get by for now if there is any immediate problems. Do look into an inspection, anything that is found may still be covered by warranty. Also go thru the unit and if you find anything wrong make them fix it before delivery,they seem to be very good at that from what I have seen here in this thread.

After delivery and your trip home please come on back and tell us how it all went,problems,fixes,any information that may be helpful to the others here.

Again welcome and good luck and hopefully your August vacation plans will work out.
Buying A Rental Class C

CwglIndn
Explorer
Explorer
We are Truck camper people for over 20 years, and bumper pull camper before that. After searching in vain, for a decent truck camper within 600 miles for the last 3 months, we decided to look at Class C's, under 25' for national park access. No matter if it was a dealer or a private seller, I noticed prices varied a lot, new could be cheaper than used and all had some issue involved.

We had been reading about the Cruise America for a while and after one more disappointing trip out of state decided to check one out in Mesa. They have (had?) a 2016 23A Majestic scratch and dent model, no graphics and only service checked, damaged upholstery, lots of scrapes and not repainted or re-caulked with 130k miles. They were selling it for $24,000 AND they would not give the $3100 off on it. But in Las Vegas they had a refurbished 2015 with 113K miles for only $775 more. We loved the looks of the refurbished units. The scratch and dent reminded us of both owner seller and RV lot models, but the refurbished looked great.

So we put down our deposit, we are getting a flight rebate to go to Las Vegas to pickup, probably next week. We will go for the awning, but we will skip the warranties (chassis $1798 and $1806 for RV parts) Can't wait to see how the sales tax is handled. I will look into an inspection, probably at camping world. Depends on what is open with all the quarantines for Covid.

This quarantine will probably affect our August vacation plans too.

Majestic31
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed Running boards on a Majestic 28A . What part # Where did you order from . I have a 2011 RV

campingalan
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
campingalan wrote:
Just wanted to let anyone that is on the fence know....

I was in Phoenix doing my annual work training. I've been lurking this thread for a couple of years, so the day I flew in to Phoenix, I paid the Cruise America facility there a visit.

They currently have a $3100 saving off of their normal prices right now until the end of March.

I'm under the impression that they don't haggle very often; so this seems like a decent deal.

Thanks for sharing this. It looks like a great time to buy if you are thinking of buying a Former Rental.You are right they don't haggle on the price.

So did you put your deposit down on one? :@ :B

It looks like the other majors are also having sales too.

Awesome! Hopefully some folks can take advantage of it.

No....no down payment yet ๐Ÿ˜ž I am on what I call the Big 3 plan-- pay off house, pay cash for both kids' college, and modernize our car fleet. The fleet is taken care of, 2 more college payments (done in Dec 2020), and should have the house paid off shortly after college payments are complete. Then, I'll get serious about getting a rig. I'll be back in Phoenix in March 2021......that may just be a great time to visit Cruise America again!!
2005 Fleetwood Prowler Regal 320DBHS (SOLD):(
1996 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
7.4l, 4.10 Axle Ratio
1200LB Reese WDH w/Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
campingalan wrote:

I was in Phoenix doing my annual work training. I've been lurking this thread for a couple of years, so the day I flew in to Phoenix, I paid the Cruise America facility there a visit.

They currently have a $3100 saving off of their normal prices right now until the end of March.

I'm under the impression that they don't haggle very often; so this seems like a decent deal.

Thanks for sharing this. It looks like a great time to buy if you are thinking of buying a Former Rental.You are right they don't haggle on the price.

So did you put your deposit down on one? :@ :B

It looks like the other majors are also having sales too.
Buying A Rental Class C

campingalan
Explorer
Explorer

2005 Fleetwood Prowler Regal 320DBHS (SOLD):(
1996 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
7.4l, 4.10 Axle Ratio
1200LB Reese WDH w/Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
zachcycles wrote:
The Ford V10 is a screamer and high revs are not a problem beyond your ears ๐Ÿ™‚ The switch just changes shift points for max power sooner (climbing) and engine compression braking sooner (downhill). Comfort is sacrificed for better performance... if you think about it compared to an empty van you are always towing/hauling all that RV mounted on the frame. Keep reading on it, do what feels good but I will tell you that you should ABSOLUTELY have it on for extended downhill runs... overheated brakes are a bummer.

ZACHCYCLES: Thanks for contributing to my education. Your points are well taken.

zachcycles
Explorer
Explorer
Hoerschel wrote:
Update... My only question right now has to do with the necessity of keeping Tow/Haul mode constantly engaged. CA put a sticker on the gear shift that urged keeping it in this mode for better fuel economy. But I find that the gears are not shifting smoothly and race the engine to 4,000 RPMs plus before finally changing. That can't be good, especially when just starting out and the engine / transmission fluid are cold. Today, I finally disengaged the feature and it runs so much more smoothly...and much lower rpms. Appreciate any wisdom shared here.

Lotsa opinions on this one... I run with it on especially when in the many hills and mountains I travel here in NorCal. Sometimes leave it off in the flat valley areas... but normally on. The Ford V10 is a screamer and high revs are not a problem beyond your ears ๐Ÿ™‚ The switch just changes shift points for max power sooner (climbing) and engine compression braking sooner (downhill). Comfort is sacrificed for better performance... if you think about it compared to an empty van you are always towing/hauling all that RV mounted on the frame. Keep reading on it, do what feels good but I will tell you that you should ABSOLUTELY have it on for extended downhill runs... overheated brakes are a bummer.
Whether out in the motor home or just sittin n sippin a fine whiskey, my mind wanders these daze. I'm ok with this...

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
Update on my December 2019 purchase of a CA 30' Majestic. The wife and I have taken it out three weekends since and are enjoying it, even though it's winter and we won't de-winterize until May (or whenever the last freeze occurs here in Colorado; who knows, it may be June or July!) We're taking along a 10 gallon bottle of water for washing dishes and flushing the toilet, then refilling the traps at the end of each trip with RV antifreeze. Had the unit's oil, transmission fluid and generator fully serviced as CA obviously timed the sale to avoid that big ticket expense. But, hey, I got a $2k discount for buying in December so I'm not complaining. The RV service center gave it a thorough inspection and was impressed with the overall condition. My only question right now has to do with the necessity of keeping Tow/Haul mode constantly engaged. CA put a sticker on the gear shift that urged keeping it in this mode for better fuel economy. But I find that the gears are not shifting smoothly and race the engine to 4,000 RPMs plus before finally changing. That can't be good, especially when just starting out and the engine / transmission fluid are cold. Today, I finally disengaged the feature and it runs so much more smoothly...and much lower rpms. Appreciate any wisdom shared here.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rex60baker wrote:
I think the cabover window is Lexan. The original Roadbear graphic was removed but the image is kind of burned into the substrate, maybe from the sun. Can't feel any adhesive. I used some WD40 and it seemed to help. Barely readable now.Just don't want to advertise for RoadBear without compensation:).

That is good to know,I wouldn't like to advertise for them either. A member covered the ghosting of the rental company left behind with a decal,As they did with mine
you might be able to get a Coachman decal that would fit the window.

I have thought about putting one of those see thru decals like they have on the rear windows of pickup trucks on my overcab window.
Buying A Rental Class C