cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brother in Law wants to not get in financial trouble

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
My brother-in-law posed an interesting question. My sister is retired and Vinni will retire next year. Both would like a class A motorhome and their main question is “I don’t want something that will get us into financial trouble.

I still have a bunch of brochures around from all the major manufacturers from 3 to 4 years ago. So I dragged out the box for them to take a look. First thing we did was limit the search to gassers as they are much less expensive to maintain. They thought 36 to 38 feet would work for them and pay around $80,000.

My recommendation was a 3 year old Newmar, Tiffin or Winnebago with all records that still has a warrantee on engine and drivetrain.

What do you guys think?
65 REPLIES 65

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
Hi guys, I really didn’t want to get into standard maintenance costs gasser vs diesel discussion. My brother in law wanted to know if something breaks which is the least expensive to fix?

Gasser
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I think the first thing your BIL needs to consider is what he plans to do when he travels and how long he can devote to traveling. You mentioned that within a year, they both will be retired. Does that mean that they may want to full time? Does it mean that they may want to travel away from their permanent home a month or two a year? What do they want to see when they travel? Do they have pets that they want to take with them? Would they be happy traveling to only places they can drive? Would they enjoy driving a motor home, as opposed to an automobile?
Will both of them be driving? This means the driving task is shared between the two of them. Are both of them physically fit enough to bounce around in a motor home for a few hundred miles a day? Do they require regular visits to a doctor?
The answers to these questions will help him determine if a motor home is really worth the hassle? There is no doubt that a motor home can be fun but it can also require more maintenance than his stick home.
Motor home travel is also NOT cheap. In most cases, you can take a plane or train and get to the destination for less cost than to drive by motor home. If seeing the sights along the way are important, than a motor home is hard to beat, especially if they have pets. Without pets, I can travel and still see the sights better in an automobile. The money saved in fuel, insurance, required maintenance, and in RV parks will pay for a room along the way if traveling by automobile. At one point, when fuel was more expensive than it is today, I was spending around $200/day just for diesel. Not an insignificant expense if you travel a lot, as opposed to just sitting in an RV park.
You BIL really needs to consider a lot of things before he jumps in to an RV. It just may not be for him, regardless of the costs involved, IMHO.

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
If finances are most important, I would go with gas instead of diesel coach.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Knowing and planning for the costs before purchase is extremely important. If you don't consider ongoing costs, you are being careless.

On the other side, if you focus too much on comparing repair costs between rigs, you may end up with a rig unsuited for your needs.

Rather than debating whether diesel or gas is better, if folks would simply provide some actual costs they've incurred, the OP can help his BIL make the right choice for him.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Two Jayhawks, That should earn you another Jayhawk in my way of thinking.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
I don’t understand the concept that if you ask the price you can’t afford it and/or shouldn’t buy or consider it? I’ve never known that all RV’er’s are so wealthy? I think someone doing anything without the concept of cost is a fool!

Sorry for all of the rich reading this thread I’ve offended. Well Bless Your Heart!

Oh there isn't much to understand. The person that utters the "if ya have to ask ya can't afford" bunk is simply being arrogant and smug. I've heard it a few times in my life & I typically think very little of the guy that responds to a question that way. This is a forum & anyone should be free to ask anything they wish without smart aleck answers.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
Hi guys, I really didn’t want to get into standard maintenance costs gasser vs diesel discussion. My brother in law wanted to know if something breaks which is the least expensive to fix? Thanks

The gasser will always be cheaper to maintain. Leaf spring vs air bags, air brakes vs hydraulic. Diesel repair shops charge far more than gas truck repair shops. Some even have higher rates for diesel chassis opposed to gas chassis.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t understand the concept that if you ask the price you can’t afford it and/or shouldn’t buy or consider it? I’ve never known that all RV’er’s are so wealthy? I think someone doing anything without the concept of cost is a fool!

Sorry for all of the rich reading this thread I’ve offended. Well Bless Your Heart!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mondooker wrote:
Hi Toe, he wants a Class A for the same reason I have one. The huge windshield to see America!

I get that. But if the cost is a big concern, then he might need to re-evaluate what is most important.

The big windshield is nice, but it doesn't mean folks with other types of rigs don't see America.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Mondooker wrote:
Hi guys, I really didn’t want to get into standard maintenance costs gasser vs diesel discussion. My brother in law wanted to know if something breaks which is the least expensive to fix? Thanks

I agree there is no need to get into the gas vs. diesel thing.
But to your brother in laws question.
THey will both require maintenance and repair and the figure for both can be substantial.
If you are not prepared to have a sizable maintenance/ repair budget RVing is not for you.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Toe, he wants a Class A for the same reason I have one. The huge windshield to see America!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mondooker wrote:

I think overall, the more important factor will be the individual shop. I have a great shop that can work on either and their rates will be pretty similar. But, they only have one lift that can handle a 36-38ft rig. So, it will often be difficult to get the work done quickly if there is another rig ahead of you. If you got to a shop with multiple lifts capable, then you will most likely be paying a higher hourly rate.

For me, if I was that concerned with the difference between repair costs, I would go with a TT or 5er and a truck. The truck will be easier and less expensive to repair.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think we need to have the diesel vs gasser argument. The point is that with ANY type RV there will be maintenance costs and repair work. Regardless of gas or diesel engine, if you aren't prepared for thos expenses you will get into "financial trouble".