cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brake pads

grinder613
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have part numbers for rear brake pads for a 1999 E450 super duty with duallys. Seems Rockauto sold me a set of Monroe CX 802 that dont fit. Probably head over to NAPA local store and it would be nice to have part numbers to help them out. thanks Al
2000 Coachman Leprechaun 31ss......1999 Ford E450 super duty
8 REPLIES 8

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Kamphiker wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
While you are putting brakes on I would "strongly" suggest you replace the front brake lines also. On the Ford 1999 E450 super duty you have to buy OEM only but well worth the price. A known failure for this chassis as it ages.

The 'brake lines will look perfectly fine' BUT they fail on the inside. The inside collapses.

Been there did that. Replaced the brakes only, on the same make and model you have and coming off an interstate ramp and the brakes went out. :E Thought for sure I was going to die.

Truck stop repair knew right away it was the brake lines. Just saying since you've got it apart I would replace the brake lines also.

You are referring to the "RUBBER" soft brake lines only ? the Steel metal usually have no issues unless vehicle is operated in salt conditions and rust has pitted the outside OR if the brake fluid is not flushed at proper intervals & moisture has collected & has rusted from the inside

Yup the rubber ones and you have to buy OEM for them. I had one day layover waiting for them to ship overnight. But real glad that semi- truck mechanic knew that that's where the problem was. He said everyone should change them out period.

And I had just had a complete brake job before I hit the road for that trip and that mechanic never said anything about replacing them. Dang near died coming off that ramp towing without brakes!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
We had a left front brake flex line fail on our previous Chevy powered '79 Delta Class C , as you described, it almost threw us off a cliff on US 101. It would be good to know how often flexible front brake lines should be replaced for safety sake.

Unfortunately, the industry usually replaces brake lines based on a visual inspection or performance complaint and there is no standard replacement interval. In the old days, the flexible lines were supposed to be inspected every time a "mechanic" was under the vehicle during the standard service interval. (6 months or 6,000 miles) Nowadays, that doesn't happen. (unless you do it yourself or specifically request it)

Chum lee

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We had a left front brake flex line fail on our previous Chevy powered '79 Delta Class C , as you described, it almost threw us off a cliff on US 101. It would be good to know how often flexible front brake lines should be replaced for safety sake.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you do go the NAPA route bring an old pad with you and verify the replacements are correct before you purchase them.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Brake pads I replaced on my 2006 E350 were Motorcraft (From Rock Auto) Heavy Duty "Police / Emergency" versions. There was a visual difference between the OEM & the Ones I replaced with.

If I need to do another replacement & can't find the same Pads, I would look at AKEBONO mfg. (They are the OEM supplier to a high number of Auto Mfgs.) Have used them on daily drivers. Raybestos Heavy Duty / police duty would be a good choice.

I have slotted / cross drilled rotors & Ceramic / Carbon pads on one vehicle but would Never do this on a RV.
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
While you are putting brakes on I would "strongly" suggest you replace the front brake lines also. On the Ford 1999 E450 super duty you have to buy OEM only but well worth the price. A known failure for this chassis as it ages.

The 'brake lines will look perfectly fine' BUT they fail on the inside. The inside collapses.

Been there did that. Replaced the brakes only, on the same make and model you have and coming off an interstate ramp and the brakes went out. :E Thought for sure I was going to die.

Truck stop repair knew right away it was the brake lines. Just saying since you've got it apart I would replace the brake lines also.

You are referring to the "RUBBER" soft brake lines only ? the Steel metal usually have no issues unless vehicle is operated in salt conditions and rust has pitted the outside OR if the brake fluid is not flushed at proper intervals & moisture has collected & has rusted from the inside
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'd get a set of EBC HH pads.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB