cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brake controller

snow0700
Explorer
Explorer
just bought a brand new class c fordE450. came with a tow package, do we still need to add a brake controller. .. called the dealer where we bought it. but they did not seem to know.. thank you
5 REPLIES 5

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed them at the ford dealer, and there is a plug under the dash to plug in the factory controller, re check with another dealer...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Did not seem to know? Avoid that dealer for all trailer concerns...better, avoid for everything.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
If you are towing a trailer with electric brakes, yes you will.

This.
AND your dealer needs to FIND OUT.
Or you need to find a different dealer.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If it's prewired for towing, that's a bonus. Any Ford dealership should be able to quote you a price for the Ford factory brake controller, installed. There may even be a cutout somewhere on your dash for placing it. The factory units aren't cheap, but they integrate nicely with the rest of the ECM/ECU software. I added one to my F150 a few years ago, and it took about an hour to install it, because the F150 was also tow ready.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
If you are towing a trailer with electric brakes, yes you will.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3