cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounder Does Not Start

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have an ignition wiring diagram for a 2004 Ford F53 motorhome chassis?

I can get the Bounder to run if I put the ignition to on and cross the lugs at the starter but it will not start turning the key.

I have verified that AGM chassis battery is good (new) ignition switch (new), park/neutral switch (new), starter and starter solenoid (both pulled, cleaned and re-installed) and ignition fuses are all good.

I'm looking for a loose wire, ground or possibly broken ignition interlock. I've looked around the web for a specific 2004 F53 ignition wiring diagram but no joy. I also asked Fleetwood for tech assistance since I am the original owner, but nothing heard back from them.

I know there are some real technical wizards on this site that can tell me just where to check next.
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018
19 REPLIES 19

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer

Agree that space is tight. I'm thinking about taking up the driver's seat just to ensure I can get my big butt in there. I'm hoping I won't have to pull the steering wheel to get to the key lock surround. I need to see the end of the ignition lock cylinder where the actuator attaches with the D ring.

Most likely you just have a bad ignition switch, if I'm reading the symptoms correctly.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
Gents...thanks for all the replys...

I do have the electric jacks stowed, and slides and steps in. I have started the motorhome before with jacks down and slides out, so I don't believe there are ignition interlocks there.

I have replaced that on frame starter solenoid between the steering column mounted ignition switch and the starter. It is located in the passenger side wheel well. The primary wire was loose on the small post, so I tightened it up, and also cleaned up the two large post wires.

I have not replaced the key switch yet, but that might be my next item. Of course there is still high probability it is a ground somewhere in the ignition circuit. I'm still trying to find a usuable ignition wiring diagram without having to buy a $250 2004 F53 shop manual.

So, with this, you're saying that there is no voltage on the aux. solenoid coil pos term and assume you're in command of a voltmeter?
That being the case, is there voltage on the ignition sw. term.?
If so, running a new wire from the sw. to the solenoid should do the trick. Try a temporary run for just touching it with 12v for beginners. If that doesn't get it, then possibly the sw. itself isn't making contact, when the key lock is turned.
My old P30 chassis coach, had a steel rod down the side of the steering column, between the key lock and the ign. sw. that required some adjustment.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have some voltmeter skills, but the son is a ninja (using that electronics/computer repair and programming education I paid for). He has checked the starter solenoid both at ignition on and at ignition start and I think he said the 12v on the primary wire (small lug) is not there at start to close the solenoid for the starter to get power.

Some background...up until last Nov, the MH stayed plugged into 50amp at home, but I would occasionally have to "wiggle" the gear shift to get the MH to start. Last Nov, we moved and now the MH sits in a storage lot on the Navy base with no power and batteries on disconnect.

Dec it wouldn't start, so I got a new AGM battery (has already been told before I moved that chassis battery was not well). Even with new battery I still had starting issues...having to wiggle the gear shift, and that is why I replaced the trans park/neutral switch. I usually could get the MH started after fiddling with it for a minute or two. Later, I could start the generator and get the (new) chassis battery up to 13.4v, and the MH would usually start.

Trip to ARK in Jul, ended up replacing the ignition switch that is mounted to the steering column. My BIL is an after market installer, and he determined that ignition switch was bad. MH started for the trip home both times I needed it to. I parked the MH in storage on 8 Jul and disconnected the batteries. Went to go start it a couple weeks later and nothing.

So I am still easter egging it, using my Son and a neighbor with auto repair skills to find the problem, replacing the starter and starter solenoid to no avail. I think it is probably a loose ground or wire. I have a set of jumper leads so next week-end when the Son is available, I'll work on running a direct wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

I can get the MH to run by crossing the starter post with the ignition to on, so I might just get it running and take it somewhere and have someone with experience look at it...cause I'm sure it won't start for them to get into a bay, and they'll have to figure it out in the parking lot.

The aux. solenoid mounted under the dog house somewhere is what could be the culprit and what I'm talking about, so that's where to check for voltage, coming from the ignition. Don't think I'd go directly from the ignition sw. to the main starter solenoid, without knowing how much current the ignition sw. itself is good for.
As for grounds, there could be one off or loose somewhere, including said aux., but any + pos. wire going to ground, is a direct short across the batteries and will blow a fuse, dc breaker, something....

Yes, my aux starter solenoid is right there on the pass side frame. Easier to reach from underneath than from above thru the doghouse hatch.

Have checked the voltage there and it appears I don't have the 12v on the signal wire to close that solenoid at ignition start. I'm going to look at the key switch on the steering column since have already replaced the ignition switch.

thanks...Andy

OK, try this and on the ignition Switch itself put 12vdc on the wire going to the aux. solenoid, to see if it's intact and will actually close the solenoid. Also verify if the sw. has 12v supply voltage to begin with, so if and when it does close with the key, you'll have it at the aux.
If so, then that sw. is probably faulty and sometimes just rattling the control rod, from the key lock makes it contact.

Earlier you said your old P30 chassis had a rod between the key lock cylinder and the ignition switch. Mine has a plastic rod called an ignition switch actuator.

I was doing some on-line troubleshooting last night with my Nephew in MO. He runs a locksmith shop and does a lot of key lock cylinder replacements. He remembered a lot of Fords have that actuator, so we did an F53 ignition diagram check on PartsGeek, and there it was.

I need to get over to the Bounder in storage and see if I can access the ignition switch and slide the tab forward/down all the way with the key on and see if it starts.

Appreciate all your time and insight. I'll let you know if I am successful.

Metal, plastic, makes not a diff., so here's my story when in a CG on a Sunday morning, some years agao...
Found a switch in my on board collection, cut two lengths of wire for it, jammed the other ends into the ignition switch terminals and held it fast with some tape.
Laying the sw. up on the dog house for easy access and presto, we have secondary ignition for getting underway to a funeral. Some days later, I got the switch in that town and changed it out, in another CG. Worked fine, until we sold the coach in 16.
Even for a small guy, it was a bear getting under there to work on it. Turned the seat to the right 90 degrees and slide in against the wall sideways.
Funny for when we got to our destination, as I never shut the engine off, once started. So, when we got setup there and went to turn off the ignition, the engine kept on running and until I turned off the additional switch, that I installed.

Agree that space is tight. I'm thinking about taking up the driver's seat just to ensure I can get my big butt in there. I'm hoping I won't have to pull the steering wheel to get to the key lock surround. I need to see the end of the ignition lock cylinder where the actuator attaches with the D ring.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:

I do have the electric jacks stowed, and slides and steps in. I have started the motorhome before with jacks down and slides out, so I don't believe there are ignition interlocks there.

I have replaced that on frame starter solenoid between the steering column mounted ignition switch and the starter. It is located in the passenger side wheel well. The primary wire was loose on the small post, so I tightened it up, and also cleaned up the two large post wires.

I have not replaced the key switch yet, but that might be my next item. Of course there is still high probability it is a ground somewhere in the ignition circuit. I'm still trying to find a usuable ignition wiring diagram without having to buy a $250 2004 F53 shop manual.

So, with this, you're saying that there is no voltage on the aux. solenoid coil pos term and assume you're in command of a voltmeter?
If so, running a new wire from the sw. to the solenoid should do the trick. Try a temporary run for just touching it with 12v for beginners. If that doesn't get it, then possibly the sw. itself isn't making contact, when the key lock is turned.
My old P30 chassis coach, had a steel rod down the side of the steering column, between the key lock and the ign. sw. that required some adjustment.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have some voltmeter skills, but the son is a ninja (using that electronics/computer repair and programming education I paid for). He has checked the starter solenoid both at ignition on and at ignition start and I think he said the 12v on the primary wire (small lug) is not there at start to close the solenoid for the starter to get power.

Some background...up until last Nov, the MH stayed plugged into 50amp at home, but I would occasionally have to "wiggle" the gear shift to get the MH to start. Last Nov, we moved and now the MH sits in a storage lot on the Navy base with no power and batteries on disconnect.

Dec it wouldn't start, so I got a new AGM battery (has already been told before I moved that chassis battery was not well). Even with new battery I still had starting issues...having to wiggle the gear shift, and that is why I replaced the trans park/neutral switch. I usually could get the MH started after fiddling with it for a minute or two. Later, I could start the generator and get the (new) chassis battery up to 13.4v, and the MH would usually start.

Trip to ARK in Jul, ended up replacing the ignition switch that is mounted to the steering column. My BIL is an after market installer, and he determined that ignition switch was bad. MH started for the trip home both times I needed it to. I parked the MH in storage on 8 Jul and disconnected the batteries. Went to go start it a couple weeks later and nothing.

So I am still easter egging it, using my Son and a neighbor with auto repair skills to find the problem, replacing the starter and starter solenoid to no avail. I think it is probably a loose ground or wire. I have a set of jumper leads so next week-end when the Son is available, I'll work on running a direct wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

I can get the MH to run by crossing the starter post with the ignition to on, so I might just get it running and take it somewhere and have someone with experience look at it...cause I'm sure it won't start for them to get into a bay, and they'll have to figure it out in the parking lot.

The aux. solenoid mounted under the dog house somewhere is what could be the culprit and what I'm talking about, so that's where to check for voltage, coming from the ignition. Don't think I'd go directly from the ignition sw. to the main starter solenoid, without knowing how much current the ignition sw. itself is good for.
As for grounds, there could be one off or loose somewhere, including said aux., but any + pos. wire going to ground, is a direct short across the batteries and will blow a fuse, dc breaker, something....

Yes, my aux starter solenoid is right there on the pass side frame. Easier to reach from underneath than from above thru the doghouse hatch.

Have checked the voltage there and it appears I don't have the 12v on the signal wire to close that solenoid at ignition start. I'm going to look at the key switch on the steering column since have already replaced the ignition switch.

thanks...Andy

OK, try this and on the ignition Switch itself put 12vdc on the wire going to the aux. solenoid, to see if it's intact and will actually close the solenoid. Also verify if the sw. has 12v supply voltage to begin with, so if and when it does close with the key, you'll have it at the aux.
If so, then that sw. is probably faulty and sometimes just rattling the control rod, from the key lock makes it contact.

Earlier you said your old P30 chassis had a rod between the key lock cylinder and the ignition switch. Mine has a plastic rod called an ignition switch actuator.

I was doing some on-line troubleshooting last night with my Nephew in MO. He runs a locksmith shop and does a lot of key lock cylinder replacements. He remembered a lot of Fords have that actuator, so we did an F53 ignition diagram check on PartsGeek, and there it was.

I need to get over to the Bounder in storage and see if I can access the ignition switch and slide the tab forward/down all the way with the key on and see if it starts.

Metal, plastic, makes not a diff., so here's my story when in a CG on a Sunday morning, some years agao...
Found a switch in my on board collection, cut two lengths of wire for it, jammed the other ends into the ignition switch terminals and held it fast with some tape.
Laying the sw. up on the dog house for easy access and presto, we have secondary ignition for getting underway to a funeral. Some days later, I got the switch in that town and changed it out, in another CG. Worked fine, until we sold the coach in 16.
Even for a small guy, it was a bear getting under there to work on it. Turned the seat to the right 90 degrees and slide in against the wall sideways.
Funny for when we got to our destination, as I never shut the engine off, once started. So, when we got setup there and went to turn off the ignition, the engine kept on running and until I turned off the additional switch, that I installed.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:

thanks...Andy

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:

thanks...Andy

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:

thanks...Andy

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
eadeal55 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
sempka wrote:
Had this problem in my F53 based motorhome, it was a bad starter switch. Was a pain to find due to the intermittent nature of the problem. Since replacing the starter switch no more problems.

Thanks...was that the key switch at the steering wheel or the ignition switch that is mounted to the steering column??

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
Had this problem in my F53 based motorhome, it was a bad starter switch. Was a pain to find due to the intermittent nature of the problem. Since replacing the starter switch no more problems.
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
eadeal55 wrote:

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Also...........on the left side of your transmission is a neutral safety switch/range sensor, that could have failed.

Richard

Thanks Richard...I replaced the transmission mounted park/neutral safety switch back in Jan, and had it fine adjusted in Mar. MH has started since then so unless a new part failed, I'm looking for another culprit.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Also...........on the left side of your transmission is a neutral safety switch/range sensor, that could have failed.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
eadeal55 wrote:

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
when you are tired of throwing parts at it. call an auto mechanic.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.