cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocks for leveling under jacks and tires

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing a long while and primarily used "LEGOS" for under stabilizers in TT. Now have 38ft Class A weighing about 24K lbs and am unsure what to use under auto-leveling jack pads and under tires if they are leaving ground. Are the "LEGOS" strong enough? They are almost the same size as the jack pads (I do have large plastic landing pads for when on dirt or asphalt).

What are recommended for under jacks to keep them from having to extend so far? If wood, what size boards? I prefer lighter weight or something that doesn't collect moisture and bugs so easily. I am trying to make a decision between weight and convenience and cost. They will have to be stored in the bins of the MH or inside toad car, as I do not have a truck or open storage for wet, nasty boards..
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
24 REPLIES 24

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to Tractor Supply and buy a horse stall mate and cut it any size you want, it 3/4 in thick and its not to heavy. I put 4 under each jack pad and never raise the tires off the ground.Plus the mate cost$ 33;00, lot cheeper than camping .

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I'll chime in to say that I've successfully used the yellow lego blocks as landing pads for the jacks, as well as to drive up on when there wasn't enough jack to get on level without lifting the rear wheels off the ground. I've never had a problem with them breaking, although they will warp slightly, and they are really bad about smashing into the ground if it's soft, (it can take quite the effort to dig them out when it's time to go). I left imprints on asphalt once, last year in September in Virginia Beach, in average 95 degree days for a week. But, my square block imprints were among the many round jack prints on the blacktop....and mine had pretty patterns... LOL! The campground should have poured concrete instead.......they readily admit that........
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

pads are NOT very thick . . . if the campsite is too unlevel for jacks alone, an extra pad is nothing

An extra 4" from jack pads has worked for me.

MrWizard wrote:

this makes the RV more stable and helps prevent side slipping of the jacks as the RV is lifted up from leaning to being vertical

Maybe with 3-point leveling, but my Newmar is 4-point.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:

My jacks move independently and automatically adjust for unlevel ground. They work great for me.

So do mine. However, some of the sites I've camped in have been so unlevel that my RV wouldn't level unless I put my 2" jacks pads (or 4" doubled up) under my jacks.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

MrWizard
i use the pads on soft ground or asphalt

pads are NOT very thick

if the campsite is too unlevel for jacks alone, an extra pad is nothing
the tires go up on the orange blocks, and wood goes under the jack to even out the amount of extension for that jack

this makes the RV more stable and helps prevent side slipping of the jacks as the RV is lifted up from leaning to being vertical
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

Seattle Steve wrote:
I love my SnapPads. They stay permanently on the jacks so I never have to do anything except put the leveling jacks down.

One of the purposes of having jack pads is being able to move them. For example, at some sites we've had to double up the jack pads at the front or back to get level.

My jacks move independently and automatically adjust for unlevel ground. They work great for me.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I do have four plastic jack pads.. but they are very thin and warp easily.

If you're talking about those orange/yellow things with cookie cutter bottoms, then throw them away. If they don't break, then they will probably piss off campground owners when you damage their asphalt.

Seattle Steve wrote:
I love my SnapPads. They stay permanently on the jacks so I never have to do anything except put the leveling jacks down.

One of the purposes of having jack pads is being able to move them. For example, at some sites we've had to double up the jack pads at the front or back to get level.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just made my own from 1 in thk nylon sheets from old bathroom dividers that the YMCA was throwing away. They were 4'x8' shts so I made several for other RV's. I drilled a hole in the corner and painted the hole red so I could remove it with my awning rod. I only use them when the ground is soft or wet.

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.interstateplastics.com/Light-Duty-Rv-Jack-Pad-Accessories-MACH19MMx12x12OUTRIGGERPAD.php?&sku=details&sku=MACH19MMx12x12OUTRIGGERPAD&vid=&priceit.x=20&priceit.y=14

When you park on blacktop you'll need something to avoid punching a hole in it.
-jbh-

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20 GVWR gas class A with the Atwood Levellegs system. I made some pads out of wood but when I went to the very few parks I go to I saw most of the class A's, even diesels, not using pads. I have not used them yet.

Am I to understand from this discussion that they are not only for soft ground but also to slightly decrease the jack travel and avoid extending fully?
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
We carry 8 pieces of pressure treated 2 X 10 all in 1 foot lengths.
Generally this is sufficient to address any really unlevel sites.
We only put blocks under jacks that need additional length to level.
2010 Suncruiser

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I use cut to the length of a side compartment, PT deck boards. I carry 12-15 in the side compartment, plenty to level with and cost was basically nothing, left over from a deck a contractor built for me.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I use yellow legos under my jacks. If on quite slanted site, I might put 3 under the left side jacks and one under the right side jacks...for example. I've never had a problem with breakage. For tires that may come off the ground, I carry two large pieces of wood that are long enough and wide enough for the left and right rear dual tires to be fully on the wood. Of course, I can use the wood for the front tires too.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara