cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizzare RV Mishap

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
C's are a little safer than A's in a front end crash. But this accident ripped the side open and a passenger was ejected through the hole.
I-75 in Sumter County. That's near the junction with Florida Turnpike.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB
11 REPLIES 11

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of my big fears with my kids in the RV. They travel in the back and are usually seated at the kitchen table. We require seatbelts at all times and I try to get them to sit to the inside of the RV rather than against the outside wall.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
That is a sad story.

Maybe the driver fell asleep at the wheel. But maybe a strong gust of a cross wind pushed the rig into the guard rail. As with most class C's, it is unlikely the rig was equipped with heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars and a heavy duty steering stabilizer. Those upgrades might have prevented the accident.

I don't appreciate unwarranted government regulation, but I do feel the NTSB should require chassis manufactures to equip all cut-away chassis with heavy duty front & rear stabilizer bars along with a heavy duty steering stabilizer. The additional cost would be negligible, but it would make every motor home and box truck much safer, regardless of the endless variety of weight distributions, wind-catching shapes, and wheel-base to length ratios.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Gee wiz info on the Texas bridge.

https://bridgehunter.com/tx/jasper/201220021308074/

Not sure if the width (23½ ft) is just the road bed or includes the curbs. Bridges always tend to look narrow, and old ones (1943) generally are. I've crossed bridges on the Mississippi that have lanes 10 ft wide.

Bad way to have your vacation ruined......

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was early in the morning, maybe he dozed off? They were headed south and the driver was just north of his home in Bradenton. Had to the last thing the passenger expected when he dozed off on the dinette.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It's a very sad situation indeed.

Looks like (in the Florida accident) the guardrail hit the front left corner of the cab section, and then scraped along the left side. The article says he lost control and then struck the guardrail. There could be lots of causes of losing control. It does show how little extra structure there is in many RV walls (of most any RV class/type).

The Texas one may be one or both drivers going a bit fast across the narrow bridge, not expecting to meet another fairly wide vehicle there. Goodness knows it's plenty easy to do that sort of thing on roads where there's little traffic volume. We all need to be alert and to drive with due care for the situation; the results of doing otherwise can be terrible.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If he hit a guardrail on the left side there is more to that story then we know.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
C class units are wider behind the cab and people tend to judge the vehicle with the hood rather than the actual with, leading to scrapes with walls barriers and even tend to hog the center line

navegator

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isaac-1 wrote:
Wow second similar incident this week http://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/article_e6923066-181b-11e8-b662-83599dc96d7b.html
RV accident in Texas last week

Looks like a somewhat narrow bridge, based on the story sounds like the driver of the truck crossed the center line. Either drifted that way, or was afraid of hitting the side of the bridge.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Story on Florida accident.

Very sad, looks like the dinette was made down into a bed at the time. Likely the passenger was sleeping at the time.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Story on Florida accident.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow second similar incident this week http://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/article_e6923066-181b-11e8-b662-83599dc96d7b.html
RV accident in Texas last week