cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to sell a Class A

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very close friend who because of health issues must sell his motor home. It’s about ten years old but in very good shape. I want to help him. It’s not a high end motor home, but we have done some nice upgrading to it. I have had a number of travel trailers and fifth wheels but never a Class A. How best to advertise it and where, and what should I do to get it ready? Any advice would be welcomed. Does this forum have an area where you can advertise units for sale? Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
howardwheeler wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never sold on Craigslist, but I thought they were all very localized. If you advertised in Dallas, say, then your ad only shows up in Dallas. Is this correct, or can you do it in such a way as to reach a broader locale?

Just sold mine on Craigslist Saturday 5/5 to a guy in Houston. Was advertised in Dallas but I got calls from Texarkana, Mississippi, Colorado.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I use Craigslist for everything used and it works. Semi-local and cash deal only of course but I buy and sell relatively low end toys. Boats, RV, musical items, etc...

Just put in the ad "no phone number, no reply" and you will weed out the tire kickers. If the rig is in the $25K+ range I would use RVtrader since it targets a higher end customer.

Just my $.02
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

tenn_vol_
Explorer
Explorer
I always check what is for sell local, and similar as to what I have
for sell,size, age, mileage.Has the unit been stored inside? Reason for
selling. I always buy RV's boats and motorcycle in the off season, sell
such during the height of the season.
Know what your bottom price is and add 5%, 10%. Too cheap and people
will think it's ragged out, too expensive, you think it worth more than
anyone else. Good luck....tenn.vol.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I let a used car dealer consign mine and it sold in about 7 days. The trick is to find the price range where everyone is happy.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Best way to sell it is to price it right
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Bruce_Brown
Craigslist is somewhat local, but you can search anywhere. It's easy to do a search within 200 miles, it takes a little effort to search farther out, but very doable.

Based on the OPs description I would think it would tend to be more of a local sale type unit anyways. I would tend to think not a lot of people are going to travel coast to coast for 10 year old "not high end" unit.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never sold on Craigslist, but I thought they were all very localized. If you advertised in Dallas, say, then your ad only shows up in Dallas. Is this correct, or can you do it in such a way as to reach a broader locale?

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
I would try RVTrader.com. I am currently in the market and am actively on it. It think it's $29.95 to place an ad until it sells. Good luck with it.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
It will cost you 10% of the actual sale price, but I had good success with
PPL.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

Bruce_Brown
msturtz wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Unless I'm reading wrong, I don't think you can post For Sale on this forum:

"Consider the following guidelines before posting:

•We reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason

• You may not use the Open Roads Forum for "For Sale" or "Wanted" posts. Solicitations by private/public agencies, or individuals for any cause are also not allowed.

•The above rules will be strictly enforced. Continued violations may result in loss of Open Roads Forum privileges and complaints being lodged with your Internet Service Provider. Open Roads Forum reserves the right to refuse and/or revoke membership to anyone without notice. If a member name is banned, it may not be reinstated".

He’s not trying to sell it on this forum he’s asking for advice on where and how to sell it.

He was responding to ScottGs post.

As noted, advertising is not allowed, questions like the OPs are.

Back on topic, considering the info the OP offered, I would say that was a perfect Craigslist candidate. Friends just sold a Winnebago on Craigslist, buyers were 2 hours away. People looking tend to search far and wide...within a reasonable driving distance.

Make sure it's clean, price it reasonably, and be honest. It will sell.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

• You may not use the Open Roads Forum for "For Sale" or "Wanted" posts. Solicitations by private/public agencies, or individuals for any cause are also not allowed.

•The above rules will be strictly enforced. Continued violations may result in loss of Open Roads Forum privileges and complaints being lodged with your Internet Service Provider. Open Roads Forum reserves the right to refuse and/or revoke membership to anyone without notice. If a member name is banned, it may not be reinstated".

He’s not trying to sell it on this forum he’s asking for advice on where and how to sell it.
FMCA member

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
gbopp wrote:
howardwheeler wrote:
Does this forum have an area where you can advertise units for sale? Thanks.

Advertising is not allowed on the forum.

Yes it is - at least in the MH forum.
A mod told me you can post everything but an actual price and it's OK. I've even seen someone post a price range and the post was allowed to remain.

So, you can advertise it for sale, post all the info about the RV, including pics, and tell potential buyers to PM you for the price and it's okay on the forum?

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Ebay has a huge "RV's for Sale" section if you are willing to sell in an auction format. If not you can always use the "buy it now" option there. As always, in online formats, there WILL be scammers so beware. Cleanliness and good documentation (photos) are always a plus. The more the better but don't go overboard. Document both the good and bad points or you may get shamed unnecessarily.

Chum lee