cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup Camera System Options

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
My backup camera system has failed. I've seen what RVCAMS has, but I'm looking for other options. The cable running from front to back is six strand. I only want one camera, audio not required. Has anyone installed a wireless system? How about a wired system using existing cable? What are you using and how do you like it?
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10
11 REPLIES 11

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Using the following with great success.

https://typesauto.com/products/type-s-wireless-6-8-inches-hd-solar-powered-backup-camera-bt57132
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update for those interested. I felt that the RVCams solution was more than I wanted to spend for what I would be getting.
I ordered an inexpensive backup camera system from Amazon. If it didn't work my financial loss would be minimal.
When I received the system, I cut the two ends from the cable they sent and from the camera cable in the coach.. I then spliced the two ends to the cable accordingly. I mounted the new camera in place of the existing camera, mounted the new monitor where the old one had been mounted and voila I have a new backup system with color.
Not sure how long it will last and it did take a few days(not full time) to install, but at less than 25% of RVCams cost, I have a better understanding of the system and a sense of accomplishment.
F53, 362hp V10

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a wireless camera that I used only to view the fuel pumps when pulling in to a station. It was wirelessly connected by bluetooth to my Garmin GPS monitor. Wireless did not mean "powerless". Unless I want to manually change batteries or manually turn the camera on and off when needed, I needed to have a way to power up the camera when it was needed. I set up a wireless switch, much like a garage door opener, to apply 12 volts to the remote camera when needed.Sot of a PIA but it worked for several years. If you truly want a wireless connected camera, think about how that camera is going to receive 12 volt power and how that power will be switched on and off.

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't mean to imply that wired system wouldn't work. It would need to be able to use existing cable. Once again, just trying to see what others have done in this situation.
F53, 362hp V10

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rick Jay wrote:
gb76087 wrote:
I only want one camera, audio not required.

I guess my first question is, what exactly are you looking for that the wired options don't offer?

As others have said, a wired option will be the best. In my opinion, I would only entertain a wireless option if I had to run the wires for the installation. If the wires are already in place, I'd use them.

I also would not write off the need for an audio option. While we don't use it a lot, there have been times when wifey will be directing me backing up the rig and it was nice being able to hear her verbal instructions, especially at night, without yelling loud enough for the entire campground to hear! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick

X2

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
gb76087 wrote:
I only want one camera, audio not required.

I guess my first question is, what exactly are you looking for that the wired options don't offer?

As others have said, a wired option will be the best. In my opinion, I would only entertain a wireless option if I had to run the wires for the installation. If the wires are already in place, I'd use them.

I also would not write off the need for an audio option. While we don't use it a lot, there have been times when wifey will be directing me backing up the rig and it was nice being able to hear her verbal instructions, especially at night, without yelling loud enough for the entire campground to hear! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
While there may be other options, your best option is to keep a hard-wired back up cam. RVCAMS was able to provide me with a system that worked with the existing wiring in the RV I owned that was over 20 year old.

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
I never said they couldn't satisfy my requirements. I am of the opinion there could be more than one option.
F53, 362hp V10

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
If RVCAMS can't satisfy your requirements then you are likely to do without.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As long as the existing wiring is in good shape that's a huge plus. Lots of plug and play options to replace the camera and/or monitor. On a previous Class A my monitor went bad and I replaced with a Kenwood head unit with DVD display that could be used for the camera. I got it all from Crutchfield. Their customer service is amazing and can really help you get the right equipment and adapters. Our FW has a wireless Furion and I have been pretty impressed with it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVCams has all of the adapters that you will need to use your existing cable. Wireless cameras usually do not have the best picture, especially at night. Stick with a wired camera that connects to your existing monitor or get a different monitor from RVCams.