cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are 2007 Monacos subject to Radiator Failure?

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
Country Coach was plagued with radiator failures in many of their coaches a few years back, and I lost a radiator in a 2002 Endeavor as well. They were aluminum, built by an outfit in Sacramento, CA and the tubes for both coolant and ATF ran alongside each other. Some rubbed through and the result was a damaged transmission that does not like antifreeze. Cost me around $5000 at the time to get back on the road and quite a battle with Monaco to get some compensation. Some of you might remember fiasco, it was posted on this site.

I am about to buy a 2007 Camelot and I need to know if the problem extended into coaches built out through 2006. Don't want to see that same thing happen again, but don't know how else to make sure.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ
16 REPLIES 16

stillthinking99
Explorer
Explorer
StuarT, I think you are at the same starting point i was...i really like the Camelot 40 and got it at a good price. Read my posts about my problem with bedroom heat.
I asked around and bill willard referred me to elite rv in oregon, Eugene i think. They wanted $1,500 to build and install an engine bay vent. Two months outfor an appointment. I thought it was pricey so i drilled 5 4" holes where the vent will go (some day) and inserted cheap round heat vent registers...to keep the rain out. I skinned the remaining unprotected engine bay ( really the floor of the closet ) with sticky back aluminum faced foam. Those to things have made the heat soak transfer almost livable. I like the coach more and more every day.

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this answers your inquiry; however, here is my experience. I am the original owner of a 2003 Safari Cheetah DP with a CAT 3126E engine and a rear radiator. I went through 3 radiators within the first 12,000 miles until I stood my ground with Monaco and they installed a new brass/copper/steel radiator at their cost. I have now driven over 40,000 miles with the new radiator and no leaks, no cracks etc. Many 2001, 2002, 2003 and some 2004 Monaco rear DP's had radiator problems. Monaco took the position that it was not a safety issue and hence no NTSA recall was ever initiated. All of the faulty radiators were Aluminum and I believe they all came from the same supplier. Most cracked at the corners due to coach flexing and very tight fit. During the period of the problem I spoke with many Monaco coach owners with the same problem and each coach owner had their own battle with Monaco. Some were successful, many not. I have never heard of any other DP coach manufacturer having the same or similar radiator issue(s). Just my opinion.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
stillthinking99 wrote:
StuartT, i have a 2007 camelot and have experienced the engine heat transfer to the bedroom problem. Bill Willard in az knows a lot about it and helped me find a source to build/install a vent. Fans are not really necessary. Its a fixable problem.

As I read through all these posts, it appears to be a combination of approaches including vents, deflectors, insulation, manifold/turbo blankets, fans, etc. I am not excited about buying into this problem with so many other choices to choose from.

On the other hand, I really like this Camelot and the seller may be willing to comp the cost of modification. I need to figure out who, after all the experiences noted here, is the best informed company to contact to get a quote for acquiring the parts and doing the work. Were you happy with who did your work? Any other recommendations from those of you with Camelot's who have hired this done?

Someone in AZ would be best, but will travel for good craftsmanship.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

stillthinking99
Explorer
Explorer
StuartT, i have a 2007 camelot and have experienced the engine heat transfer to the bedroom problem. Bill Willard in az knows a lot about it and helped me find a source to build/install a vent. Fans are not really necessary. Its a fixable problem.

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
Don, I found the website regarding Bill Willard and others discussing the vent and fan solution to high bedroom temps. Thanks for alerting me to the issue.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
StuarT......

On the Camelot, the engine compartment was very boxy and the rear doors were solid. This caused a lot of heat to build up in the bedroom from radiated heat in the engine compartment.

The cure was an opening, about 36" long by about 6" tall cut above the engine doors and a couple of electric automotive fans mounted behind the cut out.

This is new information to me. Your saying a cut out is made in the rear cap above the engine door. I assume there is a grill of some sort to clean this up, and there are fans to be mounted just inside? Was this a Monaco fix or something designed by a third party or perhaps an owner? I need to get up to speed on this one before I go writing any checks.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
StuarT......The Country Coach issue was a radiator that incorporated the trans cooler into the radiator and was a bad design.......

I have never heard of or seen this on a Country Coach. All I have ever seen is a separate trans cooler and radiator.

Monaco did have the Knight (and possibly others) that had the trans cooler internal to the radiator. A recall sent to owners told them to drive the coach nowhere except straight to a repair facility. If otherwise, and a failure occured, Manaco would not pay for the repair.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
StuarT......The Country Coach issue was a radiator that incorporated the trans cooler into the radiator and was a bad design.

The Endeavor was a rear radiator where Monaco stacked the Charge Air Cooler on top of the radiator with no insulation. The radiator was mounted very rigidly and caused cracking issues.

The Camelot is a side radiator unit, with a separate trans cooler. I don't think you'll see radiator issues with Camelot. I have no information on the CCC, but there was an issue for a couple of years with bedroom heat.

On the Camelot, the engine compartment was very boxy and the rear doors were solid. This caused a lot of heat to build up in the bedroom from radiated heat in the engine compartment.

The cure was an opening, about 36" long by about 6" tall cut above the engine doors and a couple of electric automotive fans mounted behind the cut out.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Monaco's ISL fan pump is direct driven off the engine. Have never heard of pump/motor-fan problems although the heat sensor/fan speed control can give problems but even this is rare.

I will be surprised if there is a PTO pump, but never hurts to ask.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Monaco's ISL fan pump is direct driven off the engine. Have never heard of pump/motor-fan problems although the heat sensor/fan speed control can give problems but even this is rare.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
Educate me. I thought the MH manufactures only built the box that was mounted on the chassis.

NO, many coach builders build their own in-house chassis. Monaco, Alpine, Foretravel, Country Coach, Safari (even prior to Monaco buy-out), some Tiffin products, etc.

Sure, there are also a number built on "pre-made" chassis from Freightliner and Spartan as well.

Thanks.

StuartT
Explorer
Explorer
Just go back to my desk and let me quickly add that this is a 42' Camelot on a RR10S chassis. I will edit to add more after I read through the above.

Back. Sounds like I am happy this is a 42, not a 40 with the cargo weight issue. I did get the engine serial number and this engine was manufactured after the notorious wristpin recall, so I am good there.

I am still trying to find out if there is any chance Monaco used a Chelsea PTO pump off the transmission to drive the hydraulic fan and/or power steering. Country Coach models with ISL's had to install wet kits to solve a dry spline problem, but I have never heard this about Monaco products. That of course doesn't mean it wasn't done this way.
StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
An internet search of 2007 Monaco Camelot did not show any TSB's(technical service bulletins) or major problems with the cooling systems. There was a Cummins fuel rail TSB.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Educate me. I thought the MH manufactures only built the box that was mounted on the chassis.

NO, many coach builders build their own in-house chassis. Monaco, Alpine, Foretravel, Country Coach, Safari (even prior to Monaco buy-out), some Tiffin products, etc.

Sure, there are also a number built on "pre-made" chassis from Freightliner and Spartan as well.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/