cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

grousehunter_61
Explorer
Explorer
Our first motor home was a 24' fireball,class C, loved it, but we , like others have said, getting into the bunk was a real pain. We started looking at class A's and found a very nice one. A oldie but a goodie, 1985 Sportcoach/crosscountry,31' 454, turbo 400, 3 speed. After a couple of trips we found that we would like a little longer coach and are now looking at 34' or 36', but want to stay with a gas coach. We are looking at a Southwind, realy like the floor plan, side bath, E.W. bed, nice kitchen, awnings all around. What I am trying to say is each time you use it you will think of something else that you need ( want) Get what you can afford, as close to what you think you want, and go for it. Only time will tell if you are right or wrong, nobody on this or any other forum can tell if its right or wrong, only you......
Rodger & Teri

1985 Sportcoach / crosscountry
1983 Camaro / 1971 Chevy 4x4
chessie's named sonny & choc and a red setter named star
http://sportcoach.blogspot.com/

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, wamesit, you have had quite a history of having bad luck with motorhomes! That last incident sounded VERY scary. It doesn't seem often that we hear of motorhomes being totalled. Be careful, and hope your luck changes, and you and your family will now be able to relax and have fun.
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

SRWJR
Explorer
Explorer
You wont make a mistake with the 99 Discovery with the 275 ISB,
great coach, we have a 98 36T with the 275 and believe me there
is no loss of power, we did the Florida thing last year from
Ohio and the 275 handled the hills and mountain's with ease
pulling our toad. we have decided to get a new coach this year
and in fact have one on order. but not because we are unhappy
with our Discovery. but before you buy just make sure all the
maintenance has been done since 99, with records to prove it. Scott
Scott & Kathy & Pebbles our little Dachshund
2004 Travel Supreme

Len_Souza
Explorer
Explorer
djevans,

I Installed the Banks Power System (Tuned torque headers and trans command) on a 97 Fleetwood Southwind with the F 53/ 460 engine.) It made an amzing differece in the performance, especially on grades--10 MPH faster.

Banks has dyno tuned and designed these headers to provide more torque in the mid range and he claimed 82 more HP at the peak. I would not consider the package to shortned the life of the engine at all. In fact I think that it could extend the life of the engine by: 1 running cooler, 2 having to turn less revs over the course of heavy uphill road loads. And the set up actualy got a 1/2 mile per gallon better fuel mileage.
"If RV buyers do not look for QUALITY--they indeed will not find it!"

Len Souza
RVerAdvocate

wamesit
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our first MH about 15 years ago. 1984 Midas 30 ft.All kinds of problems. Dumped it. Then bought a 1987 Coachmen 33 Ft. Had starting problems. Dumped it too. Then bought a 1999 Damon Intruder Model 349 Dumped it too. Needed a transsmision and Rear end with only 2000 miles on it.Good thing for factory warrenties. Then we traded that in for a 1999 damon ultrasport. No real problems with it Just a few little bugs you get on delivery. Then traded that for A 2002 Damon ultrasport new. Except for the stress crack under the Bedroom slide out, dealer fixed, two month repaire, A few other little problems it was Ok Until We were in a colision with a pickup truck towing a car hawler on I-95 north in South Carolina. Totaled the MH. We came out OK with no permanent injuries. Now have ordered a new DSMH with a lot of options and the way we want. We spent nearly 3 months of planning and looking a all features. Looks the right one for us Model 4009 with a spartan chasis. Just make sure you look at all the options you like. Floorplan, size, slideouts, new or used. Make sure you like, I mean love camping. Take youre time until youre sure of what you want Iwould not change anything that I did. Just wanted to upgrade I think I'M all done I expect delivery in Mid March Enjoy the ride Chuck
Donna and Chuck
2011 tiffin phaeton model qth 40ft
03 saturn toad blue ox tow bar
1998 Hi-Line Park Model trailor up in Maine
2 chihuahua one female (bambi) one male (Alabama)

first-timer-cla
Explorer
Explorer
We just took delivery of our very first Class A. It's a 2004 Damon, Challenger 36', with 2 slides. Haven't yet had it out for our first shake down but will shortly. Can't really say if we made a mistake or not, but will know in a few months. Anyone else out here own a similar Class A?
First-timer-class-a 🙂

04 Damon, Challenger 36'

3_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, we made a mistake the first time out. Bought a 26' class C thinking it would work well for several years and then we could trade up. Took us two trips out - 2 nights each trip - to figure out that trying to climb up into that cab-over bed wasn't going to work with these old bones. Also found that the floor area just wasn't enough with the extra 12 legs that we carry around with us. Went to a few dealer shows and found our current MH about 2 weeks later. We love it. RB414921 - don't let folks badmouth the Fleetwoods and get you too worked up. You will find lemons from every manufacturer and everyone has their own particular likes and dislikes. Fleetwood is on the lower end of the price scale and you have to be careful of the quality but having perused these forums and used the search function a bunch, we knew what to look for. We are tickled pink with our Storm.
3Dog

Me, an understanding and extremely tolerant wife and two Yorkies that run things.
'06 Beaver Patriot Thunder with a 525 CAT (Doghaus)
'06 Jeep Wrangler (3 Dog)

"Hey look at that ... 3 Dog's chasin' a CAT!"

Linthead
Explorer
Explorer
The more I continue to look at prices and features of
other motorhomes in my price range, the more I think I made a good choice the first time.
Linthead
2007 American Coach Tradition 42V
2008 Hummer H3

Larryjann
Explorer
Explorer
RB, No first MH is a mistake. We have been camping for alot of years in MH's and although our first was small, a 1984 22' Winnie class A, we still remember the good times we had in it.
We now have a 32' Fourwinds, 454 gas, no slides. (The way we want it).
Never mind the grumps and grouchs, if you like your Fleetwood Southwind, nobody else matters.
Hope to see ya on the road or in camp.
Jann & Larry Evans
Chantie & Tippy (puppies)
Waterford, MI.
1993 Fourwinds
Class "A"
Jann & Larry
Waterford, Michigan
FMC# 301573
1993 Fourwinds
32' Class "A"

RB414921
Explorer
Explorer
Well I must say I'm just a little concerned after reading this forum from start to finish. I haven't even taken delivery on our first Class A MH. I'm wondering if I made a mistake! I see quite a few people referencing Fleetwood as a mistake! After checking the 1998 Southwind Storm 30 out as best as I could and test driving it, My wife and I felt this would be a great entry level MH. It is a gasser with a 454 with no slides. Do you all know something about Fleetwood that I don't. Why do some of you feel Fleetwood was a mistake? I really don't want to be one of those who say "It was a bad choice!" I would rather be one of those who say " Why didn't I buy one sooner?"
2013 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Rick and Susan

Cabo_Paul
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread, Dollar....

Started out in the Boy Scouts, then, graduated to my 1963 VW Bus (can still recall sunsets on the rim of the Grand Canyon). Cher and I really got our feet wet by "camping" in the US Army. Started talking a little more seriously about an RV when Paul got reassigned away from Cher. Paul finally retired and outprocessed at Ft Lewis, WA. We rented our first Class C from Cruise America for that trip. We were hooked. February 2003 we went "just to look" at a local RV show. We decided between two Class A's and the Class C - Bigfoot. The Bigfoot won going away because of its quality and the incredibly large basement - Model 29G. We put on 8,000 miles and realized that the next time we do this, we will this, this, and that. "Bigger is better" fever struck this fall. Fortunately for us when we went to sell, Bigfoot's are in high demand. Our 29G went to a loving family and we picked up our 35U just before Thanksgiving. We have already put on 1,000 miles. It's great.

So, did we make a mistake on the 1st MH? Heavens no!! The worst we can say is that this is our expensive hobby. The best is we are living out our dreams. Hope you decide to live yours!!
Cher 🙂 and Paul :Z our Havanese, Peanut :p, and our Heathen, Lucy:p
Journey 36M :B :R Buick Enclave Toad

Karen_1031
Explorer
Explorer
"Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it."

don't know yet Don, mulling that precise question over. did do a ton of research (on Bs) and was set on going Used cause i Knew the chances of getting it right as a first-timer were small-to-nil. then ::sigh:: went to a huge FMCA show, saw a Coach House Platinum ("classy" C without a cab) and thought: Bingo! still fairly small, bigger holding capacities, etc. this is the ticket for me. prior had thought a Chinook my 'dream coach' and the Platy blew it away.

fast-foward six months: now know i'm a dry-camper and at this point the only thing i care about is: dry-camping capacities. and it's not even close to what i need.

do i drop yet more into this overpriced absurdity - will the 'aerodynamic' roof even Hold solar panels, is it worth re-working the battery tray for T-105s, better yet 4 or 6 of them, and if so, Where would they go? is it worth having the bed raised for more water..and so on.

or do i take a bath and try again? at this point, no idea.

"No matter how much research you do, it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH"

truer words were never spoken. those who rented first, and/or bought used - those are the smart ones imo.

Karen, who shoulda stuck with her original plan

Treefrog
Explorer
Explorer
Our first was a 1978 Robin Hood Class C on a Dodge chassis; got it on a "family deal" when he decided to stop driving it (at age 82!!). Robin Hoods were great units, but the Dodge has been tempermental. I don't recommend older units to anyone who is not handy. We drove it a year and a half deciding if the "lifestyle" was for us, measuring other units against it.

We'd do it again. It gave us enough information that we felt comfortable in buying a used 2000 Country Coach Intrigue.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 36' 350 Cummins ISC
2015 Lincoln MKX
FMCA 351235
Look for us at Civil War Reenactments and the SCA.

vance
Explorer
Explorer
If there are any out there who didn't, they were lucky.
vance
2007 Coachman Encore
330 HP Mercedes
Honda CRV toad
"If you see our children, PLEASE don't tell them where we are"

Roy_J_Montgomer
Explorer
Explorer
After 4 years of driving different motor homes, touring factories, visiting RV parks, talking to people and dealers, I decided to skip all the motor homes people bought before they got the diesel pusher. In late 1999 I bought a new 2000, 37 ft dual slide, diesel with no experiance or camping back ground. We now have 63,000 miles on - not full timing. I am so glad I invested the money right the first time and not lose it all to depreciation on a series of smaller rigs to over come the fear factor. Technology of motor homes have come so far that a 40 foot, 4 slide, is the only way to go right now (for resale reasons). Low interest rates will ensure that you can over come the fear of driving the biggest, best, and it will keep your heart pumping for years to come - saying to yourselve when looking at those other small rigs you almost bought, Goly,gee I'm so glad I am not driving one of those.